Pitsmoor in the 60s

I bet you think I'm a right muggin, don't you mr Painterman. I bet your favourit colour is White. You'll have to excuse me because I'm a bit new to this game .Both me and Jackie talk about the old times and your name crops up regular. Ithink it's because I got the last round in. nice talking

I virtually lived in this place in the early 60s, the mans name was Dougie Burgin, his brother used to play in goal for Sheffield United many years ago, dougie was a painter and decorator and went back to his trade after they left the cafe'.

When I lived on the Arbourthorne , I new a chap called Phil Burgin. He said that Ted Burgin, the great Sheffield Utd goalkeeper, was his uncle and prooved it by showing me photos. So maybe Dougie was his father. Ted is still living and has aplace in Blackpool.

I was chatting with afew friends about the pubs we used to frequent in the 60's, such as the Buckingham, The Ellesmere,Tea Gardens,Normanton,Gower, Grapes, Royal Oak,Norfolk Arms, Carlisle.The Rock, Toll Bar. We used to start in the Buck and then finish up in the Buck. them were the days .Are any of these pubs still open?.

Many years ago (more than I care to remember!) when I was a lad, my grandparents and my dad spent many an hour in the B.A. In those days the landlord was a guy called Ernest Makin, who died about 1954.

Hello! If you actually lived at the Buck pub,then your either my pal Chalkie White, Charlie Bean and family, or Patrick. Which one are you ?Anyway who ever it is , nice to be in touch. Is it Chalkie?

Hey up Bob, you got it in one pal it's Chalky. :|

I bet you think I'm a right muggin, don't you mr Painterman. I bet your favourit colour is White. You'll have to excuse me because I'm a bit new to this game .Both me and Jackie talk about the old times and your name crops up regular. Ithink it's because I got the last round in. nice talking

Good times Bob , we will have to meet up, and I can get my round in Ha Ha.:hihi:

will pm you

I remember the drink shop/bar on Spital Hill, but my memory of it was in the 1950s. Lots of youngsters used it for non alcoholic drinks. It was an innocent age, and I recall we drank sasparella! But I have no memory of the peopole who ran it.

Was it in there where we used to buy Liquorice sticks and cinnamon sticks.I am talking about the time it was a herbalists.

Does anybody out there remember Browns ice cream and milk dairy at the junction of Earsham st and Ditchingham st inthe 50/60s. Both myself and twin brotherJohn used to help out making the ice cream, lolly pops. Albert Brown, the owner, used to say to us, twinnies if theres any lollies with broken sticks you can have them. well! fancy saying that to two 10 yr olds. it was us that put the sticks in , in the first place. 1, 2 ,3 ,4 , 5 ,6,7 8 9 , snap a broken stick.When he found out, he just laughedand said , thats your wages. we soon stopped doing it.

hi bobsouth ilived at 92 lyons st use to drink the buck /ellsmere with mick owen

Hi Mayie, it's nice to meet someone who graced the same pubs as me, in all honesty your names don't ring a bell, but whats it matter where not talking about Quasimodo are we .Could you mention a few more names that might come to mind. I went in the Buck more when Charlie Bean kept it. I also played football for the Buck on sundays. we had agood team then . N ICE TALKING

Hi everyone, I've just joined the website so apologies for being late! Just adding my 2penneth to an earlier enquiry about 11th Pitsmoor scout group. I joined the cubs around 1960 then moved up to the scouts until about 1966. I remember Dave Middleton (a teacher) as the scoutmaster, other names from that era were, Stephen Fox, Mick Liddel, Philip Anderson, Dave Copley, Mick? Whiffin, my cousin Paul Skinner, now retired living in Cyprus. Two west indian boys, Joseph and Bernard lived across the road from the gates of the "group" on Roe Lane. They were also choristers with me at Christchurch Pitsmoor. Reverend Don Sparks was the vicar, and Dave "Daz" Smith (teacher at Firth Park Grammar) was the choirmaster.

Friday nights at the scouts became interesting in other ways. The emerging 60's pop groups like Spencer Davies and the Kinks were regular visitors to Stringfellows' Mojo club which was just over the fence from the bottom hut.

We used to go to Easter camp at a site in Grenoside woods on land bequeathed to 11th Pitsmoor group. Summer camp took us to Barlow. I remember taking a 2week hiking trip to Bavaria about 1965-I still have a photo of us all from The Star taken outside Midland Station.

I was born in the slums in Pitsmoor in 1959 on Grove Street, and most of the family lived on or around Fowler Street.

I don,t remember much if anything about that area apart from what i,ve been told as i was born in 1959 and fortunatly that area was about to be demolished to make way for the modern Pitsmoor we see now, which again is about to be demolished.

We moved to Woodseats in 1961 and according to my mum who was born and bred in Fowler street was full of snotty white collar workers, our next door neighbour being a rent collector thinking he was a top accountant and Dad working the building sites Odd carrying who did,nt fit in with these middle class wannabees so we moved on to the all new Pitsmoor and being the first to move into our new massonette on Andover Drive.

We all went to Pye Bank which was run by that great authourtarian Mr Cook and we made a lot of friends throughout our time in Pitsmoor which spanned from 1963 to 1976.

I lived at number 67 and i know that people especially the seniors of our generation always keep saying that these days people don,t care or mix like the older days but there very right that locals then were always looking out for one another and some of my biggest mates today are the kids of then from Woodside.

Did you live in Pitsmoor during the sixtys, whats your opinion or maybe you lived in the old Pitsmoor and think the newly built one was,nt the same as the old one.

I would be interested in your views.

u need to speak 2 peter string fellow he was from your parts x x

The other day I was talking to one of my grandsons about my time as a young lad growing up in pitsmoor in the 40/ 50s. Playing football in the street, untill it was too dark to see. We played with a tennis ball as we couldn't afford a football. Mind you if someone was lucky enough to turn up with a football, he certainly did stay to the finish. we used to have alook out at the end of the street ,looking for the local policeman, then we would dissapear while he had gone .Also I remember well Bonfire nights. We would go round the streets nicking wood from other bonfires, to make ours the best in the district. Trouble was while we were asleep, they would come in the night and nick ours. We used to stay late while the embers died out, cause it was warmer round the fire than in the house. If only we could turn the clock back.