Pitsmoor in the 60s

Hi ellen i left pitsmoor in 1963 to get married then lived on park hill flats still1978 then moved to waterthorpe mossborough the shop opp smiths chippy was adamsons then bullley limb owned it we lived at 92 lyons st my pal mick lived 5 doors down from us do u remember us we was always together remember the cobbler on petre st who commited suicide because of demolition

I remember Billy Limb having the corner shop. I was sent there quite a lot for my mum. We lived on Alliance Street, but I knew a few people on Lyons St.

my granddad was born in 1920 and said even though most people lived in abject poverty it was a wonderful place to live and remembered with fondness the multicultural mix of immigrants that lived there, mainly the Irish, Jews and Italians.

Edited by Irish1986

But alas he is deceiced now and leaves a son and daughter in Canada.And yes the Braeley yard was on two levels the Egans and Cowleys on top yard and the Braeleys on the bottom.And yes there was a 30 foot pole for mr Braeleys radio.

Just stumbled on this site. Im one of the Egans who lived in the top yard. Born in 1957 and the youngest. 3 sisters were Julia, Pat and Jaqueline. Mum and Dad (both sadly passed away) were Ernest and Mavis. I was always last in the tin bath after playing on the hollow all day!!!! Great memories. Used to to use the brealeys outside toilet cos it was the only one with soft paper!!!!

Can anyone remember the first chinese cafe at top of fowler st they say it was the first chinese takeaway in sheffield

R school days every mornin i would call for mick for school then we would cross lyons st to gillotts bakery to nick a loaf that just came out of the oven then walk to school eating nice hot bread

does anyone remember the drink shop on spital hill next door smiths bike shop i think the lady who worked there was called joyce can/t remember the man,s name

does anyone remember the drink shop on spital hill next door smiths bike shop i think the lady who worked there was called joyce can/t remember the man,s name

I remember the drink shop/bar on Spital Hill, but my memory of it was in the 1950s. Lots of youngsters used it for non alcoholic drinks. It was an innocent age, and I recall we drank sasparella! But I have no memory of the peopole who ran it.

I lived on denholme close before moving to pye bank road, on the bottom (number 5 i think), I remeber the games you mention, did you play "kick can" or make the grass slides where we used to get old carboard boxes and slide done the hill so the grass went yellow and slippy. The hills where on the way to the shops (not very big and used to end at the brick wall where there was a bit of a drop). I remember the haunted firey jack, I was too young to go but my sister went, or so she said. Names I remember, bingham, tantum, higgins, morris, smedley, gelsthorpe to name but a few.

Hi my father is a bingham and he had two brothers they were cyril, Michael (Mick) and Maurice my dad the youngest born 1949. They lived no 12 Andover street and we later lived at number 10 while my nan stayed and no 12 i was born 76 and we moved to roe lane in 82. We were regulars at the signpost.

I remember a Barbara Stevenson that lived on lyons street round about 1970
I remember a Barbara Stevenson lived over the wall from me.I lived next to cornor shop on Sedan st my name Mark Oxley SCH:All Saints/Earl Marshall,bestest mate from there Mick Cotton,Melvin Wotton,Chris Brookes,the girls Vicky Hochkiss? Colletee Wood? Marvia Worbaton?(sorry if all spelt wrong) Edited by karm69
additions

I remember the drink shop/bar on Spital Hill, but my memory of it was in the 1950s. Lots of youngsters used it for non alcoholic drinks. It was an innocent age, and I recall we drank sasparella! But I have no memory of the peopole who ran it.

I used to go in there in the 60's with some of my mates, there wasn't much else for us teenagers to do then. I remember drinking loads of Sarsaparilla and playing the pin ball machine. Joyce the lady who ran the place was a bit disabled but she managed ok.

All Saints Juniors 1954.

Some names on the back....Jack Pidd. David Morris. John Entwistle.? Robert Merrill. Rodney Austen. David Sowter. David Cocker. Colin Clover. J Gilbert. Peter Dawson. Graham Eshelby. Angela Hawksworth. ?. Valerie Hobson. plus others..

IMG_0027.jpg

Edited by skippy

Sorry these names to me do not ring a bell,but there again I did not start there till 1965,we lived opposite All Saints church & School to one side and the public toilets on the other,another name came to mind last night again sorry if spelt wrong Adrian Channer? Now Valery Hobson or the name hobson springs to mind and Skippy on a different note I have a friend who lives in Orange-NSW