Pitsmoor in the 60s

And if the flat was on Spital Lane? there is also a thread on that, Also there is a thread on the murder of the old lady at the top of Grimsthorpe Road which i have no doubt you was involved in.

I think some of us might owe PC Plod a bit of an apology (nigh on fifty years on); for how we kept making him walk the streets of Pitsmoor to break up our games of street football, every time somebody complained !

Children playing football in the street was not one of my problems, in fact on one occasion the sergeant caught me having a kickaround with them. Pitsmoor and Burngreave were friendly areas, and I appreciated and respected that. So geocol me old fruit, do the same as I did when I was a copper, and get your facts straight.

.. Does anyone remember the shootings at the East End pub at the top of Spital HIll ?...
Oh the East House murders. I was only 11 at the time but I remember it clearly. There is an old thread here and full details on Chris Hobbs' site here. In 1975 I worked with the brave ex-PC who took the gun off Ismail in the toilet - see post #36 on the thread.

Hi Neilf,

I remember the houses with the bay windows I cant place Cynthia Noble I use to live about half way up the road on the right hand side.

Children playing football in the street was not one of my problems, in fact on one occasion the sergeant caught me having a kickaround with them. Pitsmoor and Burngreave were friendly areas, and I appreciated and respected that. So geocol me old fruit, do the same as I did when I was a copper, and get your facts straight.

Good on yer , Plod.

I'm sure those lads appreciated the common sense approach, and your efforts to build a community spirit with us.

My post was not a criticism ; on the contrary - it was a light hearted attempt to highlight that we may have been a nuisance to you at some times !

Most of us turned out OK, and were brought up to know right from wrong.

I'm with you geocol. If Mr plod is who i think he is i remember him as well respected by us kids and if I remember right most of us called him sir without prompting. He was a place of safety if we needed and sometimes a clip round the ear but not that often I might say. I don't remember being stopped from playing footie that often on the rec that often. Yes it migt've been noisy at times but at least our folks knew where we were

I'm with you geocol. If Mr plod is who i think he is i remember him as well respected by us kids and if I remember right most of us called him sir without prompting. He was a place of safety if we needed and sometimes a clip round the ear but not that often I might say. I don't remember being stopped from playing footie that often on the rec that often. Yes it migt've been noisy at times but at least our folks knew where we were

I guess the "rec" you refer to was the one up by Danville Street?

There was another one on the north side of Lyons Street; but for most of the year that was covered in broken glass and dog excrement, which meant it was not such an attractive proposition, in that the ball was usually puctured within the first hour of a game, or some kid needed to go home to "get cleaned up" !

Before the Easter and summer holidays; a "pre season " clearup operation was worthwhile, but at other times we (on that side of the hill) resorted to playing in the street; to the chagrin of some residents and at least one of PC Plod's colleagues, even if not him !

But, as he indicated if that was the only concern he police had today; then

there would be nothing to worry about. Happy days.

I guess the "rec" you refer to was the one up by Danville Street?

There was another one on the north side of Lyons Street; but for most of the year that was covered in broken glass and dog excrement, which meant it was not such an attractive proposition, in that the ball was usually puctured within the first hour of a game, or some kid needed to go home to "get cleaned up" !

Before the Easter and summer holidays; a "pre season " clearup operation was worthwhile, but at other times we (on that side of the hill) resorted to playing in the street; to the chagrin of some residents and at least one of PC Plod's colleagues, even if not him !

But, as he indicated if that was the only concern he police had today; then

there would be nothing to worry about. Happy days.

No the one by Andover Street flats mate

I can remember two beat bobby's in the 60's who used to visit our school (Ellesmere rd) they were pc's Ward and Leverton.

PC Ward is the one I remember think he lived in Handsworth and he was a polite man never one to loose his temper and never one to clip you round the ear unlike the one before him think it was a PC Robinson but not sure..