Pitsmoor in the 60s

Apologies if this has been raised before but some of us from Grimesthorpe are interested in finding a photo of Gower St Wesleyan Reform chapel. Apparently it was first used for marriages in 1918 (so its assumed it was built shortly before that) & ceased to be used as a place of worship in August 1944. An old map I have seems to show it at the eastern end of Gower St (ie farthest away from Burngreave Rd) but a slightly more up to date OS map from the 1950's seems to show it as a laboratory.

Geographia map showingchapel

GowerStchapel1955_zps3a3a83a4.jpg

OS map showing it as laboroatory

GowerstOS1950s_zps710f9e9a.jpg

Can any of you Pitsmoor people shed any light on this and ideally come up with a photo of it?

Thanks but sadly no photo of the WR chapel on there

hi johnpm,i've seen a couple of photos of W R at gower st,have a look at copperbeechstudios.

hi johnpm,i've seen a couple of photos of W R at gower st,have a look at copperbeechstudios.

Hi, I had a look at that & the church on there is actually what is called Wicker Congregational church which occupied the patch of land now called Ellesmere Green. It was built 1885 & demolished in the 1960's.

The Wesleyan Reform chapel was built around 1915 & ceased to be used as a church a short distance from Gower St junction with Carlisle st/ Sutherland rd on the north side of the road.

I have now looked on Google Street view & there is a building occupied by Low Kost Taxis around the position where the chapel was & the taller brick building behind it looks remarkably like the front of a chapel!!

Can anyone have a look for me please as I don't live in Sheffield?

John

My name is Brian Hall I used to live on Ditchingham Road and attended Elsmere And Burngreave Schools. in the 50s. I was great mates with Harold (baz ) and Mike Pilkington we had many happy times together.

I joined the Army in 1959 and used to see them in the pubs down Gower st when I was home on leave. Give them my regards if you see them.

my husband Dave Pilkington (brothers Michael and Harold) remembers playing football with bob south with Dave Wall, John Bray and John Onions. Went to Ellesmere school and then on to Burngreave.

we met some people February this year in malta and can't remember his name but know he was a cousin of may Somerset, get in touch!

That would be Ted Robinson. :) An old friend of mine.

My name is Brian Hall I used to live on Ditchingham Road and attended Elsmere And Burngreave Schools. in the 50s. I was great mates with Harold (baz ) and Mike Pilkington we had many happy times together.

I joined the Army in 1959 and used to see them in the pubs down Gower st when I was home on leave. Give them my regards if you see them.

Hi did you know Cynthia Noble lived at the top of Ditchingham on left hand side one of the bay window house, I used to be friends with Katrina Pilkington. Regards Penny.

My mom lived in Sorby Street , it was a back to back house I remember the ice cream factory across the road where we use to take dishes to have 3 penny worth of ice cream. Their name was Jacques.

An aunt lived in Elsmere road next door to the junk shop-on the corner of Elsmere/ Petre street Oh those outside lavvies Their name was Scandrett.

I remember Pitsmoor in the 60's. I was a beat bobby working from Ellesmere box opposite Andover St. I dealt with a fatal accident in Burngreave Road in 1964, an elderly man ran into the road and was knocked down by a van. When I went to inform his family, who lived in one of the flats, his daughter immediately asked me what had happened to his pension money, he had two weeks in his pocket when he went out, she said. I told her she would have to go to the mortuary next day to collect and sign for it, but she didn't want to do that and said that it was my job to bring it to her. It wasn't, and it wasn't for me to tell her that her flat had a murdered body walled up in it when it was being built. I knew the murdered woman and the bloke who strangled her. Her name was Nellie Mc,Creadie, and her husband worked on the same building site that I worked on in Rotherham. She would come to the site every Thursday to collect his pay packet before he could open it. She was also having it off with a plasterer. He moved to work on the flats at Pitsmoor, and she began pestering him there. He bumped her off and walled her up behind a wall in the flat he was working on, and the plastered it. It would still be there if he hadn't had a conscience and given himself up. Does anyone remember the shootings at the East End pub at the top of Spital HIll ?.

Oh the Times !