Pitsmoor in the 60s

Hi Regblind and Siren

I am 44 so don't go back as far as you guys but my dad used to take me down to the barber somewhere near Montfort Drive and Bramber St, i forget the actual road but you guys might know.

Siren I think we also lived on Grove St and the Corbridge family were in Fowler St where i was born in 1959.

I was also in the boys brigade in Andover St church and remember the vicar who had blonde hair and glasses who's name i forget.

I work at Pye Bank School and have been there since 1986.The two schools (Trinity and Infant) amalgamated last year and we are all in the old building at the top of Andover St. A new schoolhas been built on the old trinity site and we will be moving shortly. We plan to say 'goodbye' to the old school very shortly (probably a Saturday ) Interested ? give the school a call. Old photos available to browse through. Andover Drive in the process of demolition the land we believe is going to be left green for a few years.Hope to hear from anyone with memories of the school.

yes i had some great times times round there,as i'm 42 i can just remember when Verdon usued to folk in two about half way up.

I also remember the fish mongers by the post office,does any 1 remember the rag and bone man with his donkey?

memeries!!

Originally posted by Mrs P

We plan to say 'goodbye' to the old school very shortly (probably a Saturday ) Interested ? give the school a call. Old photos available to browse through. Andover Drive in the process of demolition the land we believe is going to be left green for a few years.Hope to hear from anyone with memories of the school.

Oh, I wish Icould be there. It's a long time ago but the memories don't leave. I have many, good, bad and indifferent. I still rememember the toilets!!! Outside! The sit-down jobs frozen in winter. The brown urinals, open to the sky. The milk (third of a pint) left out in the hot june sun (then we had to drink it).

How about 1969. Being taken into the hall to watch Neil Armstrong step on the moon on the school TV. It was amazing. Some didn't care but I thought it was awesome.

However, it's all a shame. Pye Bank School was a beautiful building (old but worthy) which lorded over the 60's flats and maisonettes that we lived in. Not to mention the terraces that some of my friends resided in. Without her we would not be what we are now. I acknowledge my debt debt to our Victorian ancestors who conceived her and the and the wonderful people (from then until now) who delivered the promise of education for all. I salute her.

Bye, bye, Andover Drive. Bye, bye, hurtling down Gray Street on a sledge in winter. I wouldn't have missed for the world.

Am I sad or what, NO!!

Hi news to the people who contacted our school office. Our open day will be Sat 24th Jan between 1 and 3p.m. Have a look around the school and see if it as you remember.If you know anyone that would be interested then please pass on the info. hope to see lots of old friends.

Does anyone know if there was a school on the land where the "old" Pye Bank Trinity was built and if there was, was it called St Catherines RC and was it a big old gloomy loking building?

I was born on Denholme Close 1965 and have memories of this building around the early 70's and I'm sure it was a school but my mum says she cannot remember it.

It's been great reading about all the places and shops that you have mentioned. I can remember Pheasy's the greengrocers at the top of the cobbled hill. I can remember Hynisons too. We used to rent their caravan in Skeggy as a kid.

My mum and dad used to collect the football coupons in the the area. I left when I was about 10/11 to move further down near Ellesmere Road.

I went to Pye Bank Infant and Junior and then was one of the oldest year when Pye Bank Infants and Juniors first went down to Pye Bank Trinity. When Junior Schools changed to Middle Schools. I can just about remember Mr Cook but then it changed to Mr Britain and then Mr Anderson. Someone told me recently that Mr Bezant is still there, does anyone know if that's true?

I can remember the Xmas Parties that we has in the Woodside Community Centre and the White House chippy run by the Greaves. I went to school with their son Anthony. Can anyone remember playing in the old tunnels on the other side of the wall to the railway track on Marcus Drive? We used to get in a heck of a lot of trouble when we got caught.

Originally posted by kazisindahouse

Does anyone know if there was a school on the land where the "old" Pye Bank Trinity was built and if there was, was it called St Catherines RC and was it a big old gloomy loking building?

St Catherines RC used to look like this>>http://www.hpac.org.uk/cgi-bin/hpac.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=picturesheffield&keyval=sheff.id=177 .

Has it gone? I've not been down there for over 20 years. If you're wondering, it's the sooty building, slightly left of centre in the picture with your back to Burngreave Road. The girl who lived next door to me used to go there. She told me it was full of nuns. But what do I believe, she told me she liked me and then hit on the forehead with a spade.!!

St Caths was full of nuns all the teachers were nuns

Siren

Wonderful turnout yesterday. Lots of ex pupils turned up the majority of them in thier 70s and 80s,they had a wonderful trip down memory lane.The oldest pupil was a lady who will be 95 in Feb and the oldest member of staff was a Miss Fisher who is inher 80s.

Mr Bezent retired last year when the two schools amalgamated.

Does anyone still live on Pye Bank Road? If so, do you know if my friend Robert Jones still lives there? Not sure which number but it is quite near the end, as you enter fromteh main road, #5 or #7 maybe.

I live in South Korea - not so easy to go take a look. Check in your phone book maybe and pm me?

Cheers,

Rupert Atkinson

I still see Rob from time to time pm me your details and next time i see him i'll let him know!!!

cheers

john t

Done! I have sent my details to you.

Cheers,

Rupert