Pitsmoor in the 60s

Talking of Mr cook,can you remember what car he drove??

Not sure but i think it was a red austin morris!!

cheers

john t

I remember it all, I am 55, 56 next month (Feb) the white house Chippy Just closed a few months ago. up for sale now. School board hill, Hancocks on the corner of Andover St. & Rock St. Carios Shop on rock St. then he moved to a new shop at the top of Andover St. when Rock St. was demolished to make way for some P**s poor flats. He died a few years later God Bless him. I can still picture him working in his shop with his wife & mother. I was also in the BB. at christ church on Notting ham St. (got wed there years later ) The bread shop just below Marshals paper shop where we could go and buy a penny loaf. Went to Pye Bank School Mrs Templeton was the head mistress in the infants as I recall Mr. Cook was headmaster of the juniors. I also remember Mr. Jenkinson we used to call him the gorrilla . Forgot most of the teachers names now. Just remembered Mrs. Armatage? took us for music, could be wrong about that, the passing of time play games with the grey matter. No doubt more memories will come flooding back the moment i shut down.

I used to deliver papers for Marshall's. Was it Rodney who ran it? Glad I don't deliver them now, seem to recall I had about 50 Stars. If they let us pack the bags ourselves we'd put a few extra in then sell them to the workers coming out of Stanley Tools. Sunday papers were heavy then, now I could only carry about 3.

Yes it was Rodney Who took over from his dad along with his sister, can't remember her name. They have a shop on Barnsley Rd. now at the top opposite what used to be Day's Dancing later to become the MoJo run by a P. Stringfellow. They pulled it down and built some flats.

Rodneys sister is called Brenda and still works in the shop along with there kids who are now grown up.

was that a still a white persons area then. wid out dee muggin lootin an shootin maaaaan an raaapin ? I have been there & seen it . Terrible

Originally posted by superCol

Hi Cycleracer, I've just sent you a PM.

I'm pretty sure that the car was an Anglia. As 2 or 3 of us got in at the same time, I can't see it being a disabled car. I do remember one though, but never got in it. The blind woman or Ivy the terrible don't ring any bells but then again, nearly 30 years of serious drinking has destroyed a few brain cells.

As for Hancocks, was that the shop that was opposite the White House (chip shop). I have faint memories of climbing over a back wall to steal pop bottles (oops) and then take them round the front to collect the deposit on them! Must have been in the late 60's.

I take it that most of Andover Drive and Gray Street have now been demolished. Have the tower blocks at the top of Andover Drive gone too? If anyone has any photo's of the area before, during or after demolition, I would be very interested. If anyone has any other info, an ex-pat would like to know.

i have pics of pitsmoor b4 they were demolished,im currently doing a site with it all on with my brother and to put into a book,when the site is made i will send you the link

regards

aunty w xx

Originally posted by kazisindahouse

Gotta agree with John here .... soz!

Mr Cook did retire in the mid 70's. I was born '65 and started at Pye Bank in the early 70's. I can remember him still being there when I moved up to the Juniors which would have been what, 1974/1975. Mr Cook retired not long after.

Don't know if Pete Brittain took over straight away, but he was certainly the head of Pye Bank Trinity when the Juniors moved to Middle School which was 1977/1978. Mr Anderson was deputy head master there at the same time. Didn't he later take on the headship too?

I also heard that Mr Bezant, who was one of the teachers there also became the headmaster, but am not sure if that's true ... will have to check, also that he retired only recently.

last january there was some sort of 're-union' at pyebank school for all old puplis,it was like a trip down memory lane, the place hasnt changed much,it was because the building was closing,miss chalmers was there(i went to pye bank in the late 70s),there was alos an old dear there who was in her 90s who even turned up,

aunty x

Originally posted by mikey

Is the Tea Gardens Pub still there, I went in there a few times not in the 60's mind.

The Tea Garden is in Ellsmere not Pitsmoor.

Originally posted by Plain Talker

there is a Catholic school, in the area, called St Catherine's.

it still exists; my mates kids went there, her eldest daughter is just turned 16.

But, the School is/was on the Burngreave/Ellesmere side of Pitsmoor, IIRC, between the St Catherine's Catholic Church, (which faces onto Burngreave Road) and the Burngreave cemetery, and not the side of Pitsmoor with the Pye Bank Schools (PB infants, and PB trinity junior school) on them.

PT

I went to St. Cath's. It used to be on Andover Street (my mum went there in the 40s and 50s) until the end of the 60s/start of the 70s, and since then on Firshill Crescent, the playing fields backing onto Roe Lane.

The nuns have long since left. The last one was Sister Thomas, a fiery Irish nun and headmistress until 1982, I think. The Sisters of Mercy lived on in the convent on the corner of Abbeyfield Road/Burngreave Road, where the Private Convent School was. That's now a nursing home.

St Caths I remember it well, it was about half way up Andover St starting at Monfort St and ending opposite Richmond St, some of the nuns where sister Raphel, sister Gonsarger there was also Mrs Bower, Mrs Smith that come to mind, those nuns could give it out when they wanted.

Originally posted by irish

St Caths I remember it well, it was about half way up Andover St starting at Monfort St and ending opposite Richmond St, some of the nuns where sister Raphel, sister Gonsarger there was also Mrs Bower, Mrs Smith that come to mind, those nuns could give it out when they wanted.

Mrs Bower (Miss Anginotti) stayed there until well into the nineties, ended up headmistress.