Pitsmoor in the 60s

In the late 60's drinking in the Hallcar, I told my friends & neighbours that we were heading down under to Oz for a better life, they called me a daft bugger & said it'll be oreyht when tha gets thi new owse afta slum cleerance etc, this is where we have lived for the last 37 years, AM I A DAFT BUGGER ?

Yeah, but about four weeks after you left Pitsmoor and one day you blew your nose; and for the first time in your life what came out WASN'T all black and sooty like normal; weren't you worried?

I was a few weeks after I left!

Yeah, but about four weeks after you left Pitsmoor and one day you blew your nose; and for the first time in your life what came out WASN'T all black and sooty like normal; weren't you worried?

I was a few weeks after I left!

I did notice a difference, although there is a steelworks in this area, it's nothing like Sheffield was, this is the Port Kembla steel industry, where the big chimney is.

100_0880.jpg

I was born in the slums in Pitsmoor in 1959 on Grove Street, and most of the family lived on or around Fowler Street.

I don,t remember much if anything about that area apart from what i,ve been told as i was born in 1959 and fortunatly that area was about to be demolished to make way for the modern Pitsmoor we see now, which again is about to be demolished.

We moved to Woodseats in 1961 and according to my mum who was born and bred in Fowler street was full of snotty white collar workers, our next door neighbour being a rent collector thinking he was a top accountant and Dad working the building sites Odd carrying who did,nt fit in with these middle class wannabees so we moved on to the all new Pitsmoor and being the first to move into our new massonette on Andover Drive.

We all went to Pye Bank which was run by that great authourtarian Mr Cook and we made a lot of friends throughout our time in Pitsmoor which spanned from 1963 to 1976.

I lived at number 67 and i know that people especially the seniors of our generation always keep saying that these days people don,t care or mix like the older days but there very right that locals then were always looking out for one another and some of my biggest mates today are the kids of then from Woodside.

Did you live in Pitsmoor during the sixtys, whats your opinion or maybe you lived in the old Pitsmoor and think the newly built one was,nt the same as the old one.

I would be interested in your views.

Hi

My dad grew up on Grove Street - 6? - not totally sure of the number but the family name was Booker. My nan was Nelly and my grandad was Fred and I am presuming that the other kids would have still been at home then so there was a Fred (junior), Joan, my dad John (called Jack now but not sure about then!) and the youngest Christine.

Hi

My dad grew up on Grove Street - 6? - not totally sure of the number but the family name was Booker. My nan was Nelly and my grandad was Fred and I am presuming that the other kids would have still been at home then so there was a Fred (junior), Joan, my dad John (called Jack now but not sure about then!) and the youngest Christine.

Problem is I'm to young to remember it but ask your Dad if he knew the Corbridges, because we moved out of the slum clearance when I was only two or three.

Most of us moved to the new Pitsmoor now gone but we actually moved to Woodseats and were only there about 18 months before returning to the new estate of Woodside.

You are absolutely right about the location of the house. It was on the opposite side of the road to Peperdined the green-grocers.I also think their dad was a radio ham like you said. Unfortunately as i recall he did get killed in the early 60s during the very severe gales which we were having at the time. Apparently he was hit on the head by a falling chimmney pot.I felt so sorry for Mrs Braeley having to bring all those boys up on her own.

Ya, I remember my dad telling me that story when I asked him about his dad...I'm Peter Braeley's daughter...I only met my Uncle Alan, and Uncle Stephen, hopefully one day soon I can meet Uncle Jon and Uncle David. I can't believe I found this website, and saw familiar names.

Ya, I remember my dad telling me that story when I asked him about his dad...I'm Peter Braeley's daughter...I only met my Uncle Alan, and Uncle Stephen, hopefully one day soon I can meet Uncle Jon and Uncle David. I can't believe I found this website, and saw familiar names.

Hi Gennylove,

If you meet up with your Uncle David just give my regards from the post office boy, he'll know who I am then. I'm trying to remember all the boys, am I right in thinking that Peter was the next eldest from David. I have been in contact with Alan but he was only a baby when I used to play with David.

Hi, I've only just joined the forum, but I've already been hit by loads of lovely memories!

My maiden name was DARLING. My dad Michael& his brother Keith went to Pye Bank. So did I, my step brother David and My step sister Julie. Does anyone remember us?

My dad and uncle lived on Fox Street, a big cobbled hill. Then we lived on Catherine Street, then Andover Street. My mum, Ann, worked at the Rock pub on Rock Street.

It would be great to hear from anyone who remembers us. :hihi:

Hi, I've only just joined the forum, but I've already been hit by loads of lovely memories!

My maiden name was DARLING. My dad Michael& his brother Keith went to Pye Bank. So did I, my step brother David and My step sister Julie. Does anyone remember us?

My dad and uncle lived on Fox Street, a big cobbled hill. Then we lived on Catherine Street, then Andover Street. My mum, Ann, worked at the Rock pub on Rock Street.

My relatives lived on Andover street for a bit 1960s. The Gordons from Jamaica. Went back in the 70s, lily , eual , katherine and keith. Yor mum might remember them if she worked at the Rock.

Happy nostalgia hunting.

OMG, I remember David Darling. He was in my class/year at Pye Bank infants. Didn't they have a macaw or some sort of bird? I have vivid(ish) memories of going to a birthday party on a Sunday afternoon.

Of course, when we moved out of the area a couple of years later (first year in juniors) we lost contact with most people except a few, including family.

Oh, yea, we were/are the Blands LOL

*Smiles*

Angi

I saw that The Tea Gardens Pub was up for auction with Mark Jenkinson.Not sure if it has been sold

I am 43 and lived in Pitsmoor on the flats just above The tea Gardens( Earldom Drive)

I lived there from the age of 5 until we moved to Jamaica Street when I was 17.

The flats were not the best place to live and most of them are gone.

I went to Burngreave Middle school and then moved on to Ashleigh Comp at Gleadless.

My brother ran a hardware shop on the corner of Scott Road( now a house)

did you know the gordon family who lived on andover street. they also returned to jamaica in the 70s lily,luel, katherine,keith

My dad James Henry (Jim) Moore was born at 40 Jamaica Street but lived most of his younger days at 309 Petre Street ; my grandma and grandad (Harry Watson and Mary Ann Moore) lived there until it was demolished.

Dad went to All Saints school and was a choir boy at the church plus went to the Boys Brigade there.

My Uncle Harry Moore lived at 305 Petre Street until it was demolished.

My friend and later to be best man, Neil Ward lived at 2 Edgar Street.

Anybody know any of these names?

John

OMG, I remember David Darling. He was in my class/year at Pye Bank infants. Didn't they have a macaw or some sort of bird? I have vivid(ish) memories of going to a birthday party on a Sunday afternoon.

Of course, when we moved out of the area a couple of years later (first year in juniors) we lost contact with most people except a few, including family.

Oh, yea, we were/are the Blands LOL

*Smiles*

Angi

Hi Angi,

Dunno about the bird, I'll have to look into that one! I'll ask my dad if he remembers you and your family,

Lisa.