Independent damp surveyor - recommendations?

Does anyone know of an independent damp surveyor that will serve Sheffield? The only one I can find is JH Rees and son but am looking for some other quotes as well.

I am interested in independent advice because a property I am buying has high moisture levels in the walls according to the survey, although it already has a DPC. I'm just concerned if I get a free quote off a company that offer damp proofing that they will tell me it needs a new DPC whether it does or not - you know, because they want my business!

Either that or a damp proofer who I can trust not to sell my damp proofing I don't need!

I used JH Rees and son when purchasing a property last year. The mortgage appointed surveyor stated that the house was very damp so I wanted to know how much it would cost to put right before proceeding with the purchase.

I forwarded the survey report to them and asked them to double check, which they did and reported that the property wasn't damp at all and that the surveyor's equipment was probably faulty or poorly calibrated. My belief that he wasn't sure so gave a worst case scenario to cover his own back.

JH Rees provided a very professional service, they did all the liaising with the estate agent and seller and provided a quick turn around.

If you want a copy of the report they provided along with the survey report to compare and contrast, I'm happy to forward - Just PM me your email address.

I used JH Rees to do a roof and timber survey of the house I bought as the homebuyers report said there was evidence of rot in the floor joists, damp upstairs & the roof was in need of repair.

They were prompt and thorough & identified the lounge floor needed completey replacing, there was no damp upstairs at all and the roof could be repaired but replacement was recommended. This helped me negotiate £££ off the price.

I used JH Rees and son when purchasing a property last year. The mortgage appointed surveyor stated that the house was very damp so I wanted to know how much it would cost to put right before proceeding with the purchase.

I forwarded the survey report to them and asked them to double check, which they did and reported that the property wasn't damp at all and that the surveyor's equipment was probably faulty or poorly calibrated. My belief that he wasn't sure so gave a worst case scenario to cover his own back.

JH Rees provided a very professional service, they did all the liaising with the estate agent and seller and provided a quick turn around.

If you want a copy of the report they provided along with the survey report to compare and contrast, I'm happy to forward - Just PM me your email address.

I used JH Rees to do a roof and timber survey of the house I bought as the homebuyers report said there was evidence of rot in the floor joists, damp upstairs & the roof was in need of repair.

They were prompt and thorough & identified the lounge floor needed completey replacing, there was no damp upstairs at all and the roof could be repaired but replacement was recommended. This helped me negotiate £££ off the price.

Thanks for your replies. I have gone ahead with JH Rees anyway. Worried about forking out even more money, after paying for a valuation and a survey but I know it's for the best... Will let you know the results (when I've finished panicking!)

It is money well spent. Trust me, do not try and scrimp on what is probably one of the biggest, most expensive commitments of your life. The survey that JH Rees did added a bit of time to the sale going through & about £300 to the pre sale expenses i had to pay out but it also saved me thousands in the long term. I knocked £5k off my original offer due to the work needed on the house. I also made it clear to the vendor i was prepared to walk away if they didn't wish to accept.

Their survey also gave a prediction of the cost to remedy the faults so i had a rough idea of how much i should pay for the work before i called in the builders.

Gather all the facts, think everything through & don't let anyone rush you!