Chickens Wanted

Hello does anyone know where I can get some laying Hen at a reasonable price. never had hens before and a little confused at the prices I have found on line?

Don`t make the mistake of buying ex battery ones. They eat loads of food and are past their best in terms of amount of eggs laid.

(POL) point of lay is a good time to get them - about 6 months old.

There are a few members on here with chickens. I feel sure someone will be along soon to advise where to get some.

Edited by Janus

Try Highgate auction lots of poultry for sale open on Saturdays :)

Lots of threads on chickens if you search the forum. I would advise reading up to see what type of chickens you want then buy the coop, feeders and drinkers to suit those birds.

Why are you confused by prices? Are you trying to compare mass produced cheap supermarket oven ready birds with livestock?

If you don't know about poultry I would buy from a reputable breeder rather than an auction. Buy young birds and grow them on otherwise you could end up buying older birds.

I got mine from Storrs, they were very good layers, the White Star laid lovely big white eggs.

White stars are good layers and quality of egg is better in second year than the gingery commercial layers. They still don't live very long though or lay for long periods of time compared to other birds. Having said that, I still have White Stars.It depends on what they op wants and how good they are at culling, hence me saying they should read up first.

Thanks for all your help /replies Im not confused by oven ready in supermarkets but I have seen birds from 4-50 upto 30 and not had Hens before Chez but thanks anyway

Thanks for all your help /replies Im not confused by oven ready in supermarkets but I have seen birds from 4-50 upto 30 and not had Hens before Chez but thanks anyway

Can you explain why you found the prices confusing? Perhaps I can explain them to you if you give specifics. Here is a general rule of thumb:

If birds are cheap someone wants rid. Could be a genuine reason (or not).

The younger the birds are, the cheaper they are.

Price of chicks usually increase £1 per week

Rare sought after birds or show quality birds are more expensive, mass produced hybrids from commercial breeders are cheap.

Older birds past their best are cheaper. Can be sold as younger birds to those not in the know.

POL are more expensive as someone has had to feed them and clean them out while not laying. A lot of people don't know what POL actually means and how it differs from breed to breed and on time of year hatched. Often POL birds aren't actually POL.

As a guide, most hobby breeders want £10 for a grower (chick off heat at approx 8 weeks). A bird that is a bit older, say four to six month old is likely to be £20-£30, especially if its a pure breed.

Hello does anyone know where I can get some laying Hen at a reasonable price. never had hens before and a little confused at the prices I have found on line?

There's a farm on Oughitibridge Lane, above the railway, selling hens. ;)

Before you get your chickens Heeley City Farm do a great chicken keeping course. Its a short day course and they will point you in the direction to get some.

Heeley City Farm have a course with availability on July 12th. It should let you know everything you need to get started and it's always a really fun day :)