A nice wine bar in Sheffield?

So the missus says to me on saturday night, "is there a nice wine bar in Sheffield? somewhere with a good choice of wines by the glass and a nice atmosphere and crowd?"

And I struggled to think of one.

Years ago there was Menzels on Ecclesall Road. In the days when Mr Michael Menzel ran it. There was a fabulous choice of wines on offer, a nice upmarket atmosphere, attractive surroundings and nice food too. But last time I went in there it had gone downhill massively from what it was.

I honestly can't think of anywhere? (All Bar One maybe? but can't think of many others)

I've been to the Pointing Dog btw - which is the new Josephines on Ecclesall Road. Nice place inside but crammed and noisy at weekends and full of all the old folks that used to be in Josephines 30 years ago!

Anyone got any suggestions for a nice, intimate, wine bar with good choice of wines by the glass and an upmarket, non-pretentious, atmosphere?:help:

The Prosecco bar? Not sure that it has a wide range of wine though.....!

Wig and Pen is always good. I good selection of wine and excellent service.

West 10 in Ranmoor is probably the closest you'll get to what your looking for.

Much like 'posh frocks' there's no call for wine bars in Sheffield.

would second the wig and pen.

I like the newly revamped Nonnas it has a nice feel about it

West 10 in Ranmoor is probably the closest you'll get to what your looking for.

I will second that.

Sheffield folk don't want wine bars, jazz bars, posh frocks, decent galleries, museums or anything fancy like that.

Now drink yer bitter, kept voting Labour, keep blaming the Tories and revel in it or leave!

Sheffield folk don't want wine bars, jazz bars, posh frocks, decent galleries, museums or anything fancy like that.

Now drink yer bitter, kept voting Labour, keep blaming the Tories and revel in it or leave!

Speak for yourself, jonny5

The problem with 'nice wine bars with relaxed atmospheres' in England is that the only time you can really use them is a weekday because at the weekend anywhere that serves alcohol will be wall to wall. You might get a seat if you get there at 1pm and stay put but you're not just going to be able to walk in at 8pm, grab a table and enjoy a nice relaxed evening. Plus the lack of table service means that half of your night is going to be spent standing behind 400 other people looking for a 'nice relaxed evening' at a bar.

I used to like Sheffield nightlife and it has some great bars but I would always avoid the weekend like the plague. I used to enjoy a nice quiet Sunday pint though.

I used to like Trippets in the dim and distant past. Shame it closed.