Historic Sheffield Courthouse. Who allowed it to get into this state?

English Heritage? It's called Historic England this year.

Walked past the Old Town Hall Courthouse and it got me thinking. I decided to to a little research and found some photos and video's online. The place is a complete mess but there's definitely potential there if someone was willing to refurbish the the place. I think it would make a brilliant hotel with all the beautiful art that remains. It would be a huge project but I think it would be worth it!

What do you guys think?

The historic building has been owned by a pair of private, London-based businessmen since 2004

says it all really, think they really give a toss about some old decaying northern city building?

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 11:54 ----------

Walked past the Old Town Hall Courthouse and it got me thinking. I decided to to a little research and found some photos and video's online. The place is a complete mess but there's definitely potential there if someone was willing to refurbish the the place. I think it would make a brilliant hotel with all the beautiful art that remains. It would be a huge project but I think it would be worth it!

What do you guys think?

its only just round the corner from another hotel now tho

What do you guys think?

As well as the physical fabric of the building, the interior of the court, including the courtroom itself and all its fixtures and fittings, is listed, which severely restricts the potential for other uses.

Its an awkward shape, plis its still uncertain how that area will develop. The refurbishment costs would be large due to its listed status and its unclear what it could be used for.

Shame that they dont seem to be doing basic maintenance.

English Heritage? It's called Historic England this year.

They are two different entities, created when EH moved from being public sector to an independent charity in 2015.

English Heritage look after historic buildings in their gift, whereas Historic England get involved in planning matters.

If it's going to be turned over to a charity, it would probably be National Trust, rather than English Heritage (as a rule NT take buildings with roofs, whereas EH take older monuments.

---------- Post added 22-11-2016 at 14:03 ----------

What do you guys think?

Personally I think it should be turned into a museum. Now Weston Park has become a soft play centre, about 95% of Sheffield Museums' artefacts are packed away in storage.

It could be like Sheffield's version of the Ashmolean, incorporating a visitor centre for the new Castle attraction adjacent (and housing all the finds from the upcoming excavations).

Its an awkward shape, plis its still uncertain how that area will develop. The refurbishment costs would be large due to its listed status and its unclear what it could be used for.

Shame that they dont seem to be doing basic maintenance.

The listed Ebeneezer Chapel on South Road seems to be going the same way. No one want to buy it and the tenants have all moved out .

The listed Ebeneezer Chapel on South Road seems to be going the same way. No one want to buy it and the tenants have all moved out .

Is that the building that was recently for sale at auction?

Looks like there's life in the old Post Office though

http://www.shu.ac.uk/mediacentre/first-class-home-arts-sheffield

That's the General Post Office, I'm worried about the old Post Office that stands at the corner of Commercial Street and Haymarket, until a few months ago it was a Bank but now stands empty.

That's the General Post Office, I'm worried about the old Post Office that stands at the corner of Commercial Street and Haymarket, until a few months ago it was a Bank but now stands empty.

The Yorkshire Bank?