Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

Yes of course internal combustion engines should be banned from populated areas. The air is toxic. People will make all sorts of excuses about why they should get to pollute the air we breathe, but for most it is just excuses. The daily sight of lines of vehicles spewing out fumes whilst moving more slowly than the people walking past them is ludicrous.

Not while I still have mine no.

Yes of course internal combustion engines should be banned from populated areas. The air is toxic. People will make all sorts of excuses about why they should get to pollute the air we breathe, but for most it is just excuses. The daily sight of lines of vehicles spewing out fumes whilst moving more slowly than the people walking past them is ludicrous.

What exactly do you think buses and trains run on? Pixie farts?

Public transport kicks out just as much "fumes" as my car does. My car is also sat nicely in a car park spewing out nothing for 10 hours a day unlike a stinking bus which is trundling round or sat ticking over a bus stops all day every day of the week.

Now, I am no petrol head but not everyone can nor wants to use public transport. It is often not practical or feasible. How exactly do you expect people to get to work? Horse and Cart?

You scream about air being toxic now. Try back in the 50s when smog was commonplace and buildings were covered in soot and dust.

Try the late 60/70s at the height of the allegedly so longingly missed steel works spewing out their fumes, heat and debris all over the roads.

You live in a city. They ARE toxic. Any urban environment is.

If you really are that sensitive move to the countryside.

What exactly do you think buses and trains run on? Pixie farts?

The trains (trams) in the city centre run on electricity. However, as I'm sure you know, trams are not the intended subject of this thread.

Buses can run on a variety of fuels.

Public transport kicks out just as much "fumes" as my car does.

It is sad to hear that your car is as polluting as a diesel bus and that it is so inefficiently utilised. How embarrassing for you!

How exactly do you expect people to get to work?

This is a matter for each individual. Travelling below walking speed whilst outputting toxic particulates is clearly not something which is sustainable.

You scream about air being toxic now. Try back in the 50s when smog was commonplace and buildings were covered in soot and dust.

Try the late 60/70s at the height of the allegedly so longingly missed steel works spewing out their fumes, heat and debris all over the roads.

The diesel particulates are more toxic than the soot and dust you mention. Their tiny size both makes them invisible and also means they enter the body via the lungs very easily.

Besides, the fact that there was smog 50 years ago is not a reason to have it now.

You live in a city. They ARE toxic. Any urban environment is.

This isn't necessarily true and does not need to be true. It is not justification for causing 50,000 early deaths per year.

If you believe it to be true then we must identify and remove that toxic cause.

ECCOnoob

How exactly do you expect people to get to work? Horse and Cart?

i usually cycle, it's only 9 miles.

(which takes me a leisurely 45minutes - and it's a great way to start/end the working day)

Why does everyone keep on about diesel cars for economy..i am on my third hybrid,very economical,comfy,whisper quiet, auto,no road fund licence to pay, and built by Toyota so exceptionally reliable,as the ones built by Kia,Hyundai will be....the best mpg I had from my Prius was 78.5 and don't forget they are at their best in busy area's like Sheff as they will run most of the time on electric....:)

Why does everyone keep on about diesel cars for economy..i am on my third hybrid,very economical,comfy,whisper quiet, auto,no road fund licence to pay, and built by Toyota so exceptionally reliable,as the ones built by Kia,Hyundai will be....the best mpg I had from my Prius was 78.5 and don't forget they are at their best in busy area's like Sheff as they will run most of the time on electric....:)

I get 68mpg from my 1.5l diesel Renault clio. That doesn't make your mpg for your hybrid sound so great.

I get 68mpg from my 1.5l diesel Renault clio. That doesn't make your mpg for your hybrid sound so great.

That's fine,but its still 10mpg less,plus mine is a larger car/hatchback and an auto to boot with a 1.8 fuel injected petrol engine..AND, it doesn't sound like a farm tractor as all diesels do,...don't knock it unless you've tried it,far too many armchair critics...my last two diesels were a "C"/"E" Class and both were very noisy running about locally,but ok an a motorway at 70mph,but to get back to the original post....Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?,..NO...

....:cool:

There should be a conjestion charge for all vehicles with one person as these idiots cause massive problems everyday on the parkway and we have a name for them but won't share it as I think t may be against forum rules lol !

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but if all Diesel vehicles are banned how would stuff get to shops ??????? Lorries that bring them stock are DIESEL or will they be charged more thus putting prices up ?

will this just kill off the town center and we all go to out of town shopping centers?

Just something to think on

There should be a conjestion charge for all vehicles with one person as these idiots cause massive problems everyday on the parkway and we have a name for them but won't share it as I think t may be against forum rules lol !

Maybe everyone should keep off the Parkway so selfish idiots like Starlc can have a clear run to where he/she is going.

By the way it's congestion.

Edited by cytine