Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

All of them. I'm used to having to do it if necessary, but I think charging someone to leave their car somewhere while they nip for a bit of shopping is silly. Are there anyone who actually thinks ''Oh yeah, parking charges... good idea that''

There is a significant cost to providing the parking.

City centre land is expensive, the car parks (especially multistoreys) cost a lot to build, operate and maintain.

In places like Meadowhall, the shops pay for all this as part of their rent. Elsewhere, the user has to pay.

City centres are much more than just shopping, many people live there and there are many businesses. As far as I can see, there isn't a collective method of getting all of the people who want parking in city centres to contribute to the costs of providing it, so, the user pays. The Business Improvement District, which has been recently agreed by city centre businesses, brings with it a fund which could be used in part to make special offers on parking.

It has also been the case for many years that national and local policy recognises that unrestrained access by car to city centres is not sustainable. Ways of restraining demand for car use can be through restricting the availability of parking by restricting supply (via planning policy) or by managing demand through pricing (less easy where the policy makers don't control the majority of parking, like here).

City centre land is expensive, the car parks (especially multistoreys) cost a lot to build, operate and maintain.

In places like Meadowhall, the shops pay for all this as part of their rent. Elsewhere, the user has to pay.

Is the rent on a shop down Fargate that much less than one in Meadowhall??

I laugh at the people that spend 10k on a diesel, so they pay £30 road tax

Don't forget the rather good fuel economy though as well... way better than a petrol

Rubbish. The consequence of making diesels have a reasonable economy/performance is the poor reliability now. Im looking forward to your post complaining when the injectors/fuel pump/DMF/DPF/EGR fail. At least the £170 tax saving will go towards the £1500 bill.

Not an issue for mine - all my cars save the current one have gone well past 300k and they get scrapped through corrosion, not engine problems.

Is the rent on a shop down Fargate that much less than one in Meadowhall??

I don't know anything about rent levels. Do you?

I do know that there is a significant lack of retail units in Sheffield which are suitable for modern retailers, it's one reason why the chain stores that aren't yet here won't come. No suitable premises.

I do know that there is a significant lack of retail units in Sheffield which are suitable for modern retailers, it's one reason why the chain stores that aren't yet here won't come. No suitable premises.

What totally bad planning.

What totally bad planning.

Sheffield's market dates back to 1296, Meadowhell, which is now being refurbished, was build new in 1990. The needs of retail keep changing, many of the shops in Sheffield are built on the original mediaeval Burgage Plots, you just can't start again in a city like they did at MeadowHell.

Sheffield's market dates back to 1296, Meadowhell, which is now being refurbished, was build new in 1990. The needs of retail keep changing, many of the shops in Sheffield are built on the original mediaeval Burgage Plots, you just can't start again in a city like they did at MeadowHell.

So pretty much like every other city in the UK apart from the bad planning. Just what did happen to Button Lane?

Rubbish. The consequence of making diesels have a reasonable economy/performance is the poor reliability now. Im looking forward to your post complaining when the injectors/fuel pump/DMF/DPF/EGR fail. At least the £170 tax saving will go towards the £1500 bill.

I've had diesels for at least the past 15 years and do approx. 40k miles per year..never had an issue with any of the items you mention above..

Edited by truman

I don't know anything about rent levels. Do you?

No, thats why I asked the question.

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 10:06 ----------

Will that change when they get the Sevenstone built??

Just guessing? No. Its called experience. Experience of the same roads for the past god knows how many years. I can tell when a traffic light has been added then screwed with to keep it on red for longer. Anyone with a brain can. Sorry if you cant :)

So you're just guessing then.

Did you know that the number of cars has increased over the past god knows how many years? Undoubtedly.

Do you think that may have made a difference to the average speed of cars? Yes

Do you think that traffic lights become necessary to control the flow of an ever increasing number of cars? Yes

Do you think that if they got rid of all traffic lights then everyone would get to their destinations more quickly? No

Your "experience" is from your own viewpoint - the average speed of cars around the city is improved by traffic lights - it would be a lot worse without them and that is due to the increase in the number of cars not the increase in the number of traffic lights.

Brains are for thinking, use it!

Edited by TimmyR

So pretty much like every other city in the UK apart from the bad planning. Just what did happen to Button Lane?

Button Lane, one of my favorite area of shops from my childhood, I used to buy parts to make crystal sets there. I suspect that it was sacrificed to the needs of the motorists, here is a copy of the map of the area. http://s6.postimg.org/5cwfs22u9/Button.jpg

A very interesting report from 2005 about the area for planing purpose is here, a very good read if you like that sort of thing.

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archiveDS/archiveDownload?t=arch-941-1/dissemination/pdf/archaeol11-20847_3.pdf

I've had diesels for at least the past 15 years and do approx. 40k miles per year..never had an issue with any of the items you mention above..

I have sadly. :-( Many modern diesels have DMFs (clutch assembly thingy - I'm no car expert) and apparently they are way more fragile than the old school constructions.

I didn't care about it either until mine went (at under 50K miles) and I was landed with a £1000 bill. Ouch.

Although I won't learn, I've just bought a new diesel with an even more complicated gearbox assembly.

I need to get back to cycling as soon as the long distance work stuff is over.