Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

Replaced with diesel(*), ironically enough.

Rather than increasing taxes, perhaps the government should be compensating all those drivers they enthusiastically encouraged to make the switch to derv due to it's lower CO2 emissions?

(*) more pedantically diesel-electric, a kind of proto hybrid.

Around 50 years ago. Now the diesels are being replaced by electric.

They could perhaps compensate folk who who run on derv using revenue gained from an increased tax on them.

They could perhaps compensate folk who who run on derv using revenue gained from an increased tax on them.

Say what now???

so take money off them with one hand and give it back with the other

:loopy:

Yes and so do petrol cars, but some people want the cars converting to LPG and have duel fuel because of the limited availability of LPG so they need another tank.

Nothing to do with the fact that the engine fires up on petrol and switches to gas when the engine is warm enough then. Ive been running on lpg for13 years and its saved me a small fortune ( 56p/litre at the moment ).

Oh,and you cant convert diesels to lpg.

At the start of the 1960s the railways ran on coal. By the end of the 1960s all 60,000 steam locomotives had been sold for scrap.

What does that have to do with diesel vehicles in the city centre?

Yes and so do petrol cars, but some people want the cars converting to LPG and have duel fuel because of the limited availability of LPG so they need another tank.

But here's the clever bit. As you have 2 fuels each tank could be half the size

The gas tank is the same shape as the wheel and fits in the spare wheel well.

Both my tanks hold about 50 litres and if needs be I can travel from one end of the country to the other without the need to fill up so why would I want smaller tanks. I can drive to Brighton for about £18 on gas. Also I never put more than 10litres of petrol in the tank because it looses it fizz if it isnt used.

The gas tank is the same shape as the wheel and fits in the spare wheel well.

Both my tanks hold about 50 litres and if needs be I can travel from one end of the country to the other without the need to fill up so why would I want smaller tanks. I can drive to Brighton for about £18 on gas. Also I never put more than 10litres of petrol in the tank because it looses it fizz if it isnt used.

Couldn't the gas tank replace the petrol tank and then have a small 1 gallon tank for the purpose of starting the car?

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 10:50 ----------

Not really that clever, what is the point of changing to lpg and have a petrol tank the same size?

Couldn't the gas tank replace the petrol tank and then have a small 1 gallon tank for the purpose of starting the car?

Yes it could but whats the point and should the lpg system fail for some reason, you would be filling up with petrol every five mins. Lpg systems are a complicated bit of kit and need to be fitted properly and serviced. My kit was factory fitted at manufacture.

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 11:09 ----------

Heres another reason for a a full size petrol tank. The gas system is very temperature sensitive, I was driving down the M1 a couple of years ago and it was -5 outside so had the heating on full belt. The engine cooled down too much so the gas didnt work unless I turned off the heating, I was frozen when I got to Nottingham:D

I ended up covering half the radiator for the return journey.

In that case they need to start ramping up the tax on diesel. I find it odd that LPG is the least poluting fuel of the lot but so few use it despite the price.

I don,t know about ramping up tax on diesel,I bought a brand new Toyota Carina diesel in 1987 at that time diesel was 35p a gallon cheaper than petrol!.Now its around 50p a gallon dearer,so I think someone somewhere has been doing a little ramping up already,rip off Britain maybe or what?,and don,t forget diesel is a byproduct of petrol refining a lot cheaper to produce!.:confused::roll: