Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

Who mentioned cycling on the parkway? Or cycling to Matlock (not like that's a ridiculous distance anyway) Other than you I mean?

Starlc did, read his posts.

Starlc did, read his posts.

No he didn't.

You freely admit you don't know what he was talking about, but you decided to have a go about cycling (yawn). Perhaps you should have checked first because there is noting illegal about motorcycling on the parkway

No he didn't.

You freely admit you don't know what he was talking about, but you decided to have a go about cycling (yawn). Perhaps you should have checked first because there is noting illegal about motorcycling on the parkway

If you read my post properly I said I didn't know what "bobber" was. Motorcycling was never mentioned.

If you read my post properly I said I didn't know what "bobber" was. Motorcycling was never mentioned.

Motorcycling was mentioned - a loud bobber being a custom motorcycle with a loud exhaust, and references to "bike" that is away from the lights in a flash...

What wasn't mentioned at all, was cycling but you chose to talk about cycling illegally on the parkway for some obscure reason known only to yourself; just another reason to grumble about cyclists without foundation

Neither was pedal cycling. I suspect Starlc was deliberately ambiguous and would imagine that your failure to pick up the fact has provided him with some amusement.

It's not like he didn't leave any clues - loud pipes save lives (in his sig.) is motorcycling related and it's well known that motorcyclists congregate in Matlock on Sundays.

As for the original question, should diesel vehicles be banned in the city centre..

Add "private" to that, and my answer would be yes - eventually all private vehicles should be restricted - there is a caveat: a satisfactory resolution to the problem would involve the ongoing introduction of a usable, viable city transport network, not just stinking pins into a list of individual problems to "ban", and can't be done overnight. All the more reason to focus on developing alternatives to the perceived "need" (and in some cases a real "need") to use a private car to travel into the centre.

Expecting people just to pile onto sweaty over-capacity buses that take as long as it takes to walk, is not a viable alternative. Offering a viable alternative has to come before prohibition, since we built our society over the past 30+ years around a massive increase in daily car use

I think your arguably a idiot, but it would be selfis... or is that your arguably selfish ???? Hmmmmmmmm ????

You're entitled to an opinion of course.

But if you're going to call someone an idiot, you should probably learn the difference between "you're" and "your" so as to avoid looking like one yourself. Ouch.

---------- Post added 26-03-2017 at 18:32 ----------

What exactly do you think buses and trains run on? Pixie farts?

Public transport kicks out just as much "fumes" as my car does. My car is also sat nicely in a car park spewing out nothing for 10 hours a day unlike a stinking bus which is trundling round or sat ticking over a bus stops all day every day of the week.

Now, I am no petrol head but not everyone can nor wants to use public transport. It is often not practical or feasible. How exactly do you expect people to get to work? Horse and Cart?

You scream about air being toxic now. Try back in the 50s when smog was commonplace and buildings were covered in soot and dust.

Try the late 60/70s at the height of the allegedly so longingly missed steel works spewing out their fumes, heat and debris all over the roads.

You live in a city. They ARE toxic. Any urban environment is.

If you really are that sensitive move to the countryside.

Are you trying to make an argument that because cities aren't nice, we shouldn't even try to make them better?

Expecting people just to pile onto sweaty over-capacity buses that take as long as it takes to walk, is not a viable alternative. Offering a viable alternative has to come before prohibition, since we built our society over the past 30+ years around a massive increase in daily car use

There needs to both a carrot and stick approach to get people out of their cars. The carrot being a viable alternative, the stick being the financial penalty.

I don't think diesels will be banned I think there will be a charge applied to those who use the most congested routes. In Sheffield I would assume this is the Parkway.

I don't think diesels will be banned I think there will be a charge applied to those who use the most congested routes. In Sheffield I would assume this is the Parkway.

That would almost certainly be a total flop though, as all the commuters pile onto residential roads in an attempt to avoid the charge.

It'll lead to far worse congestion, far worse pollution and general hatred from the public.

If there is going to be some kind of vehicle ban then you'd expect a large investment in public transport infrastructure to cope with the extra burden.

Like Squiggs said expecting everyone to cram onto sweaty buses isn't a viable alternative and isn't something people will be happy with.

Edited by geared

Neither was pedal cycling. I suspect Starlc was deliberately ambiguous and would imagine that your failure to pick up the fact has provided him with some amusement.

It's not like he didn't leave any clues - loud pipes save lives (in his sig.) is motorcycling related and it's well known that motorcyclists congregate in Matlock on Sundays.

Altus, I didn't pick up on the clues because I know nothing about motorcycling, I suspect like me, many people are not aware that they congregate in Matlock on Sundays. I am pleased that you and he find my ignorance so amusing, it obviously doesn't take much.

What does annoy is people like Starlc who call others selfish and stupid and belittle them because they don't agree with their views.

Starlc, I've no idea what a bobber is but I'm an adult and can communicate without childish names. I don't believe anything you say. Cycle to Matlock? Sat in front of television with a can of lager more like. The ones that brag and insult others usually are all talk.

By the way next time you are cycling illegally down the Parkway, let us all know so we can either report you or avoid it to make sure that a selfish idiot like you is not held up.

Cyclling down parkway ? :hihi: lmao :hihi: oh ha ha ha

You dont know how stupid you look !

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 18:37 ----------

Motorcycling was mentioned - a loud bobber being a custom motorcycle with a loud exhaust, and references to "bike" that is away from the lights in a flash...

What wasn't mentioned at all, was cycling but you chose to talk about cycling illegally on the parkway for some obscure reason known only to yourself; just another reason to grumble about cyclists without foundation

:rolleyes:

Thats great and was very amused ! :hihi:

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 18:43 ----------

Highly amused at the lack of knowledge of some people " cytine " by looks of it i could have stuck a picture in front of of those painyed on eyes ! Lol :hihi:

Edited by Starlc

Cyclling down parkway ? :hihi: lmao :hihi: oh ha ha ha

You dont know how stupid you look !

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 18:37 ----------

:rolleyes:

Thats great and was very amused ! :hihi:

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 18:43 ----------

Highly amused at the lack of knowledge of some people " cytine " by looks of it i could have stuck a picture in front of of those painyed on eyes ! Lol :hihi:

Is this the best you can do? I suppose you're an expert on every subject. But never mind I'm glad I amused your obviously simple mind.