Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

Forgive my ignorance but I thought catalytic converters were supposed to have solved the problem of pollutants.

They mainly reduce CO2 emissions, but don't do a whole lot for NOx or particulate emissions which it turns out are both pretty bad for peoples health.

DPF's and SCR systems combat those emissions, but not all vehicles run them.

Another issue with diesels is there is no actual proper test of emissions come MOT time, the test is still the same for a vehicle today as it was 30 years ago.

You can take all the emissions control systems off the vehicle and still pass diesel emissions test without issue.

It's just another tax that will be forced upon people. Shame they are now back tracking that diesel vehicles were they way to go. Just another burden on the self employed who have diesel vans for their work

If Sheffield starts charging for my (not that old) diesel car I won't be visiting again.

In fact i'm wrong!!! charge £30 per day for all cars then I won't have to put up with the pain in the back side that driving in Sheffield really is - constant stop start driving, traffic lights turn red as soon as they see motion, roads are in terrible condition and not improving, parking charges are extortionate and the much reduced public transport system is shocking and again expensive!!

If Sheffield starts charging the City Center as we know or like it will go bankrupt.

Just how expensive is parking? Where is it you're making a comparison to?

Next time you are there observe the No 52 Stagecoach buses- engines don't start up until they have left the bus station.

I thought that this thread was commenting basically threatening the banning of diesel engines Annie.I was merely commenting on something that can be put into effect immediately.I was not drawn to any single vehicle without its engine running ,but I was certainly drawn to the six that were stationary with engines running.Originally I was drawn to the vehicles with running engines that were strategically parked on the zebra crossing within the terminus within 10 feet of the blue sign saying that all vehicles should have their engines switched off while staionary .So not wishing to be pedantic or get into a disagreement with you. The obvious is sometimes overlooked ,especially when easy money can be made

If Sheffield starts charging for my (not that old) diesel car I won't be visiting again.

In fact i'm wrong!!! charge £30 per day for all cars then I won't have to put up with the pain in the back side that driving in Sheffield really is - constant stop start driving, traffic lights turn red as soon as they see motion, roads are in terrible condition and not improving, parking charges are extortionate and the much reduced public transport system is shocking and again expensive!!

If Sheffield starts charging the City Center as we know or like it will go bankrupt.

roads not improving?? stop talking absolute crap

---------- Post added 17-04-2017 at 19:43 ----------

Just how expensive is parking? Where is it you're making a comparison to?

It's not, it's just the usual crap spouted by people on here.

roads not improving?? stop talking absolute crap

---------- Post added 17-04-2017 at 19:43 ----------

It's not, it's just the usual crap spouted by people on here.

Parking £3 all day in Doncaster 20 mins from my house same time in to Sheffield, Meadowhall Free, Barnsley £2 4 hours, Rotherham Free 2 Hours, Manchester £5 all day.

Sheffield £7.50 to £20.00 per day - Why so much? I admit I could park free on Effingham Road if I want all the windows smashed!!!

Some minor roads have and side streets have improved - but they randomly missed side streets and have a long long way to go with main roads round here.

Have you tried driving Deerlands Avenue, Yew Lane or Wordsworth Avenue recently?

Parking £3 all day in Doncaster 20 mins from my house same time in to Sheffield, Meadowhall Free, Barnsley £2 4 hours, Rotherham Free 2 Hours, Manchester £5 all day.

Sheffield £7.50 to £20.00 per day - Why so much? I admit I could park free on Effingham Road if I want all the windows smashed!!!

Some minor roads have and side streets have improved - but they randomly missed side streets and have a long long way to go with main roads round here.

Have you tried driving Deerlands Avenue, Yew Lane or Wordsworth Avenue recently?

50p an hour in Wellington St NCP, the entire route (including major roads) from my house to work has been done

Manchester is the only really valid comparison there, and I can tell you that the on street parking is not £5 all day, in fact the last time I was there, maybe 6 weeks ago, 2 hrs, late in the evening was going to cost £8...

Of course you can park for Sheffield, all day for £3.50 or £4.50, I see the signs up all over the place. I used to park for £2, although that car park has now closed. On the occasion that I drive, I pay £5 for parking, although that's a concession organised by the office (and many other offices around by the number of people I see paying that much).

Manchester is the only really valid comparison there, and I can tell you that the on street parking is not £5 all day, in fact the last time I was there, maybe 6 weeks ago, 2 hrs, late in the evening was going to cost £8...

Of course you can park for Sheffield, all day for £3.50 or £4.50, I see the signs up all over the place. I used to park for £2, although that car park has now closed. On the occasion that I drive, I pay £5 for parking, although that's a concession organised by the office (and many other offices around by the number of people I see paying that much).

Good points, this is the reason why it infuriates me so much when people say how expensive parking is.

You can still park in a Council car park in Sheffield within the Inner Ring Road for 50p per hour or £2 per day. NCP on Wellington St are currently charging 50p per hour.

The maximum charge in a council car park in the city centre is £1 per hour or £5 per day. On-street the maximum is £2/hour.

In Manchester, on-street is up to £3 per hour and off street is up to £5 per hour (£30/day).

Edited by Planner1

Where is the £3.50 or £4.50 parking signs?

I have had a look on the NCP website - Wellington Street does look quite cheap I didn't know about this one, will give it a go next time.

Why is this so cheap and Q park so expensive?

Also I think Doncaster is well equal to what Sheffield has to offer. You certainly can not compare Manchester and Sheffield different league all together but yep I pay £5 to park there!!

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 22:25 ----------

You can still park in a Council car park in Sheffield within the Inner Ring Road for 50p per hour or £2 per day. NCP on Wellington St are currently charging 50p per hour.

The maximum charge in a council car park in the city centre is £1 per hour or £5 per day. On-street the maximum is £2/hour.

In Manchester, on-street is up to £3 per hour and off street is up to £5 per hour (£30/day).

Which are the inner ring road car parks that are £2 per day?

---------- Post added 18-04-2017 at 22:31 ----------

Good points, this is the reason why it infuriates me so much when people say how expensive parking is.

Infuriates you!! :-) Apologies for having an opinion lol

I didn't know about the Wellington Street car park prices, which brings me on to another issue if Sheffield has all this what appears to be competitively priced parking - Why doesn't Sheffield Council use some BID Money and advertise it???

Then they may get more visitors like me in to Sheffield a lot more regularly!!