Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

I picked a petrol as I don't like the idle clatter of a diesel and don't really do sufficient mileage to balance out fuel efficiency and the higher second hand value of the diesel model of the same vehicle.

I'd like to think modern diesel cars are clean and it's older larger vehicles that are the issue.

Rubbish. The consequence of making diesels have a reasonable economy/performance is the poor reliability now. Im looking forward to your post complaining when the injectors/fuel pump/DMF/DPF/EGR fail. At least the £170 tax saving will go towards the £1500 bill.

It all depends where and how the car is driven, and what make and model car.

A DPF should last at least 70k (i've known some go onto 100k+) and can be replaced for under £200.

EGR valve - can be blanked off or disconnected if causing a problem. Doesn't affect performance or MOT.

DMF - not all diesels have a DMF. 1.4 and 2L 90bhp model Peugeots don't for example. And Peugeot actually do a SMF conversion kit and will replace it if it fails at an early age. Not all manufacturers get things right first time. Many issues show themselves on the long term tests (a year or two into first ownership and real world driving) and are corrected under warranty and rectified on the next model.

Injectors - never had a problem with a car under 120,000 miles. Petrols have lots of problems with their plugs and coil packs too.

Fuel pump - same. Only issues I've seen are with blocked filters on the in-tank pump around the 150,000 mile mark - well beyond the estimated lifespan of the part.

I picked a petrol as I don't like the idle clatter of a diesel and don't really do sufficient mileage to balance out fuel efficiency and the higher second hand value of the diesel model of the same vehicle.

I'd like to think modern diesel cars are clean and it's older larger vehicles that are the issue.

It would be nice to think so but it isn't. Very few current diesels meet Euro 6. This will be a requirement from September. Most diesels are good on CO2 but rubish on the poisonous nitrogen dioxide and particulates.

The world has moved on from worrying about CO2 and ignoring the poisons. So the new regulations will start to ban virtually all current diesel vehicles from city centres. That will certainly affect 2nd hand values. It will probably also alter the taxation bands for diesels. Those that are currently free are a free hit for the taxman as is duty on diesel fuel.

I'm not sure diesel drivers help themselves. They park up and leave the engines clattering away. I've never really understood why.

It would be nice to think so but it isn't. Very few current diesels meet Euro 6. This will be a requirement from September. Most diesels are good on CO2 but rubish on the poisonous nitrogen dioxide and particulates.

The world has moved on from worrying about CO2 and ignoring the poisons. So the new regulations will start to ban virtually all current diesel vehicles from city centres. That will certainly affect 2nd hand values. It will probably also alter the taxation bands for diesels. Those that are currently free are a free hit for the taxman as is duty on diesel fuel.

So for my next car I'm best off looking for a small turbo petrol like the TSI ones from the VW group?

So for my next car I'm best off looking for a small turbo petrol like the TSI ones from the VW group?

Well it would certainly be my choice. A few decades back no one bought diesels in this country. I think the EU promoted them to help out the French motor industry. As a result thousands of folk die from the subsidised poisons they chuck out.

It does look as though the EU has had a complete change of direction. No doubt penalising diesels will result in an unofficial car scrappage scheme and provide a boost the motor manufacturers of small turbo petrol cars. Certianly as more cities ban diesels they will become unsaleable. I doubt Euro 6 is the end of it as it was a much watered down version of what was proposed simply to save manufacturers of diesels having to stop production totally. But I doubt by 2020 there will be much of a market for the damned things.

On one hand there's a positive to come out of it. I tire of owners who've bought a diesel to get 70mpg (yeah right!) and zero VED who blame the marque because their diesel car with problems has never seen a dual carriageway or motorway.

The Peugeot diesel system with a DPF uses an additive to clean the filter (EOLYS), a shot of it is injected into the fuel every fill up. But the owner doesn't know this and when they put in a fiver or a tenner here and there rather than a big fill up empties the reservoir!

So you're just guessing then.

:hihi: I removed the rest of your pointless, antagonistic and transparently childish post as it was all the words ive just mentioned with absolutely no worthwhile content. I also find it funny you decided to jump in baring in mind your previous attempts to get a rise out of me.

Try harder.

Try much harder :hihi:

Stratified injection gives plenty of power but soots up the valves due to its design! Port fuelling washes the valves as fuel / air mixture goes in where TSI doesn't. Search a few forums and you'll see common problems with the design as the engine mileage increases.

Stratified injection gives plenty of power but soots up the valves due to its design! Port fuelling washes the valves as fuel / air mixture goes in where TSI doesn't. Search a few forums and you'll see common problems with the design as the engine mileage increases.

Some of the early TSI engines had quite alot of problems, especially with the higher output engines so you've gotta do your homework.

Some of the engines in the Seat's were going pop after 2 or 3 years of average miledge, quite a few glaring design flaws were found by owners.

:hihi: I removed the rest of your pointless, antagonistic and transparently childish post as it was all the words ive just mentioned with absolutely no worthwhile content. I also find it funny you decided to jump in baring in mind your previous attempts to get a rise out of me.

Try harder.

Try much harder :hihi:

I don't see public fora as a place to try and get a rise out of people. I was trying to understand your view point on traffic lights, which I consider misguided. I was asking you some questions to try and get you to think about the subject a bit. The fact that you see it as antagonist and can only respond with insults indicates a certain level of paranoia.

Edited by TimmyR

You could get away with removing the EGR on something made 10-15 years ago. Doing it on a car made recently would cause no end of problems as the engines depollution system relies on it. You would have got away doing that to an old 406 or something but not with newer cars.