Should diesel vehicles be banned from the city centre?

So round about the cost of buying a diesel but with half the running costs. If manufacturers of diesels found they were unable to sell them they might start to manufacture the things. A BMW I3 is about £30,000 but they sell because folk can drive them in central London.

I'm not sure that's the motivation for buying a BMW. The decision about LPG isn't really a viable one because they aren't readily available. I think you buy a diesel cheaper than you can buy a petrol car then convert it. As far as I'm aware my local petrol station doesn't do LPG.

Oh and my Diesel is £30 a year tax. My partners petrol is over £200.

I own a diesel recovery truck so how would that work then if vehicles where banned from city centers

I own a diesel recovery truck so how would that work then if vehicles where banned from city centers

I don't suppose they'll be banned just charged extra to go into town..(why kill the goose?)

Have you done detailed studies of traffic flow to come to this conclusion? Or are you just guessing?

It's not rocket science mate take Leppings lane junction now the roundabouts gone the traffic lights now stop more traffic now in a 24hr period than when the roundabout was there and that's just one junction,Go out and count the sets of lights the full length of Penistone Rd that's how you come to a solution and that's just one road.

Around 50 years ago. Now the diesels are being replaced by electric.

What happens if I want to go into town now and not in 50 years?

I'm not sure that's the motivation for buying a BMW. The decision about LPG isn't really a viable one because they aren't readily available. I think you buy a diesel cheaper than you can buy a petrol car then convert it. As far as I'm aware my local petrol station doesn't do LPG.

I think you are missing the point. As the EU are getting rather upset about polution from diesels' then any current tax bands are unlikely to remain the same. There are already lots of tax free petrol vehicles and plenty of diesels that are not tax free so I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

The popularity of various fuels depends on the ability of buyers to use those vehicles, where they are allowed to use them and how much it costs. So if diesels were banned from city centres they would likely become rather less popular and residual value go down the toilet.

I've never heard of anyone buying a diesel with a view to converting to petrol.

There are about a dozen filling stations in Sheffield that sell LPG. That is likely to rise if manufacturers start to produce LPG vehicles in numbers which might well happen if diesel becomes less fashionable.

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 16:32 ----------

What happens if I want to go into town now and not in 50 years?

Probably best to buy a small efficient petrol car. I just wonder what will happen to the residuals of a £35K diesel bought this year when it turns out in 4 or 5 years it is banned from half the major cities of Europe.

I've owned two petrol cars, and now I've bought a big diesel car as I use motorways a lot more for work. That said, I found the parking in town to be so unreasonable I never went anyway, if I need anything I go to Meadowhall (Yes 'hall') free parking and its under a roof. I would like to go to town more, specially on nice days, but the parking is silly, petrol cars or not.

Question: if your diesel is within the tax band that allows you to park right up next to Asda entrance, in the low emissions spots - is it still earth doomingly, ice cap meltingly bad, or is it still classes as low emissions? Will they still be allowed to drive in to town also?

There are about a dozen filling stations in Sheffield that sell LPG.

I think it's more like 3 or 4 to be honest :(

I would like to go to town more, specially on nice days, but the parking is silly, petrol cars or not.

What parking charges would you regard as not being "silly"?

What parking charges would you regard as not being "silly"?

All of them. I'm used to having to do it if necessary, but I think charging someone to leave their car somewhere while they nip for a bit of shopping is silly. Are there anyone who actually thinks ''Oh yeah, parking charges... good idea that''

I laugh at the people that spend 10k on a diesel, so they pay £30 road tax

---------- Post added 31-03-2015 at 20:47 ----------

So round about the cost of buying a diesel but with half the running costs. If manufacturers of diesels found they were unable to sell them they might start to manufacture the things. A BMW I3 is about £30,000 but they sell because folk can drive them in central London.

Rubbish. The consequence of making diesels have a reasonable economy/performance is the poor reliability now. Im looking forward to your post complaining when the injectors/fuel pump/DMF/DPF/EGR fail. At least the £170 tax saving will go towards the £1500 bill.