Shortchanged at stores..

You should have called the store and asked them to countback their tills. This can be done within 15 minutes without much hassle.

It will see if the till is under/over. This only works if the cashier hasnt given excess change to customers after you, of course.

They should get change right. Its the shops responsibility.

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 10:24 ----------

Are there signs in the shops saying please check your change? There are in most shops. Would agree with others, mark it up as a lesson learnt

It doesnt matter. If they want local business they are going to have to deal with unhappy customers...it doesnt look very good if employees are stealing money too.

As a cashier, it happens. Not everyone is perfect, sorry. The amount on the screen may tell us what we need to give back, but our hands may do another thing.

Over my years as cashiering, I've made the mistake (mainly when its super busy and youre trying to get the queue down, because customers are moaning youre too slow/too many people/whatever) and have had my till counted back too many times to count. Most of the time, it was even - but when it was over exactly what a customer is owed, i have held my hands up - full apologies given and more.

I have never felt a customer was calling me a liar when they stated incorrect change was given back. I believe most of the time the customer is right, and we should do the best we can to prove that.

As a cashier, it happens. Not everyone is perfect, sorry. The amount on the screen may tell us what we need to give back, but our hands may do another thing.

Over my years as cashiering, I've made the mistake (mainly when its super busy and youre trying to get the queue down, because customers are moaning youre too slow/too many people/whatever) and have had my till counted back too many times to count. Most of the time, it was even - but when it was over exactly what a customer is owed, i have held my hands up - full apologies given and more.

I have never felt a customer was calling me a liar when they stated incorrect change was given back. I believe most of the time the customer is right, and we should do the best we can to prove that.

In this case I think the cashier was skimming off the top. I've reason to believe other cashiers in the same company are doing it. It's happened more than once, the receipt thing just conceals the issue.

Never had the problem in certain other stores, not once, so why this one company?

I can't prove conclusively, but I've sent a letter of complaint outlining the issues so await the response from the company.

Are there signs in the shops saying please check your change? There are in most shops. Would agree with others, mark it up as a lesson learnt

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 10:24 ----------

It doesnt matter. If they want local business they are going to have to deal with unhappy customers...it doesnt look very good if employees are stealing money too.

It does matter. Its their responsibility to give you the correct change and it is your responsibility to check it.

if neither of you did that (and lets be honest here a quick visual look would tell you that you were a fiver down) then it is your own bad luck and I would be very careful about accusing the tiller of stealing. How do you know that the till wasn't up at the end of the day through an honest mistake?

Do you think that the cashier will remember every single piece of change that they have given out during the day so they can identify who might have been short-changed.

you don't need a receipt to know you are a fiver down and you left the shop. Writing a letter will do nothing as you left the shop and didn't adhere to the commen sense rule of checking your change.

And since you don't appear to be too bothered about checking your change how do you know you haven't been skimmed of a pound or two in other shops before?

and - as you have put in other threads, when it comes to money - "mistakes do happen"

Edited by sheffbag

It does matter. Its their responsibility to give you the correct change and it is your responsibility to check it.

if neither of you did that (and lets be honest here a quick visual look would tell you that you were a fiver down) then it is your own bad luck and I would be very careful about accusing the tiller of stealing. How do you know that the till wasn't up at the end of the day through an honest mistake?

Do you think that the cashier will remember every single piece of change that they have given out during the day so they can identify who might have been short-changed.

you don't need a receipt to know you are a fiver down and you left the shop. Writing a letter will do nothing as you left the shop and didn't adhere to the commen sense rule of checking your change.

And since you don't appear to be too bothered about checking your change how do you know you haven't been skimmed of a pound or two in other shops before?

and - as you have put in other threads, when it comes to money - "mistakes do happen"

In bold. I think corporates take these things very seriously. I'd be very surprised if I wasn't compensated in some way / and an investigation. Whether they will investigate or not is another matter.

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 13:21 ----------

At the very least I want my fiver back, thieving swines...

In bold. I think corporates take these things very seriously. I'd be very surprised if I wasn't compensated in some way / and an investigation. Whether they will investigate or not is another matter.

I'd reach out to the store manager and then the area manager before going to corporate. If the staff are stealing, theyre probably aware of it and waiting for more evidence to come through.

For the most part, the central office may just "lose" the letter (whether it doesnt get to the right dept, and then destroyed or worse) or not respond or ask what I just said to do.

I have to say that I have been short-changed in this particular supermarket chain on numerous occasions. I always tally in my head what I am spending and I once went in to a branch in Scotland for a 9£ shop, paid with a 20£ and got 6 pounds put in my hand, I challenged the cashier on the spot saying I paid with a twenty, they didn't believe me.

When I pointed out that it would either be 10 or 20 as they clearly handled only one note they backed off. But I was not impressed and asked to see the manager, the lass got a stern telling off and I received a voucher for 5£ for the next time I shopped there, I turned round, got a bottle of wine for a fiver and was satisfied, but it has happened several times before and since.

My father-in-law lives within a stones throw from a branch and he counts his change every time after being caught out numerous times. You'd think, these days, with the digital tills, that it is pretty darned hard to get it wrong, wouldn't you?

You think they would take a letter from someone who didn't check their change seriously? you would get the customary fob off letter (if at all) with probably a fiver voucher in it to spend in their stores so you still end up giving the money to the corporate company you accused of stealing from you in the first place.

bet hey, it will be another one for your list of complaints thread so go for it.

Personally I would follow the other forumsters advice and go speak to the manager of the store first. It may well be that they are aware but need evidence

I have to say that I have been short-changed in this particular supermarket chain on numerous occasions. I always tally in my head what I am spending and I once went in to a branch in Scotland for a 9£ shop, paid with a 20£ and got 6 pounds put in my hand, I challenged the cashier on the spot saying I paid with a twenty, they didn't believe me.

When I pointed out that it would either be 10 or 20 as they clearly handled only one note they backed off. But I was not impressed and asked to see the manager, the lass got a stern telling off and I received a voucher for 5£ for the next time I shopped there, I turned round, got a bottle of wine for a fiver and was satisfied, but it has happened several times before and since.

My father-in-law lives within a stones throw from a branch and he counts his change every time after being caught out numerous times. You'd think, these days, with the digital tills, that it is pretty darned hard to get it wrong, wouldn't you?

I have conclusive proof now. Its happened to someone i know, same bloke. Grrrr! Now im angry.

---------- Post added 30-03-2015 at 15:59 ----------

I'd reach out to the store manager and then the area manager before going to corporate. If the staff are stealing, theyre probably aware of it and waiting for more evidence to come through.

For the most part, the central office may just "lose" the letter (whether it doesnt get to the right dept, and then destroyed or worse) or not respond or ask what I just said to do.

Why should i approach the store manager? Its the comps job to do that. Ive complained through official channels and got a receipt of acceptance.

It must be their policy not to give out receipts ( I never get one now either), personally I don't mind due to it just going straight in the bin but saying that, I too was short changed in an "uncooperative" store recently, I challenged the cashier as I was £5 down. After a lot of fuss and suspicious looks, they decided to do a till check, on completion the till was £11 DOWN ???? So obviously they couldn't have shortchanged me !?!?!?!?! Because THEY were down. They refused to give me the cash they owed me, I didn't take it any further (apart from arguing the toss for 20 mins) I just put it down to experience but when I shop there now (emergency shopping only) I ask for a receipt and slowly but carefully check the receipt and change in full view of everyone, it doesn't always make me popular with the rest of the queuing shoppers but hey, who can afford to lose a fiver every time they pay for their over priced shopping??

It must be their policy not to give out receipts ( I never get one now either), personally I don't mind due to it just going straight in the bin but saying that, I too was short changed in an "uncooperative" store recently, I challenged the cashier as I was £5 down. After a lot of fuss and suspicious looks, they decided to do a till check, on completion the till was £11 DOWN ???? So obviously they couldn't have shortchanged me !?!?!?!?! Because THEY were down. They refused to give me the cash they owed me, I didn't take it any further (apart from arguing the toss for 20 mins) I just put it down to experience but when I shop there now (emergency shopping only) I ask for a receipt and slowly but carefully check the receipt and change in full view of everyone, it doesn't always make me popular with the rest of the queuing shoppers but hey, who can afford to lose a fiver every time they pay for their over priced shopping??

This policy of not giving out receipts is really confusing matters, even when it was a genuine mistake....not good and I will be continuing the crusade to get some change on this.

I used to be a supervisor there, and anytime there was a discrepancy at the tills regarding change given I used to look at the cameras, not cash up a till as you can clearly see what note is given and change, if cash back has / hasn't been given e,c,t. I also used to check it against the receipts too. I don't think that cashing up a till is the most accurate way personally.

They always print a receipt out though from the till and from the office, you must have just got a rouge employee (report him / her to the manager if you think that they are skimming the change)

Mistakes do happen though (whoever you are and whatever line of work you are in), think about it from the staff's point of view, if you're serving 100's of customers you're bound to make the odd mistake, its the correcting it that counts.

Just check you're change before you leave the shop, or pay with your card