Sheffield Half Marathon 2015 road closures

Stupidity ? I was only asking a question. If you'd actually read what I wrote I said I wasn't directly affected but was curious as to whether they could actually block people in like that.

Of course it's legal. It has to be. They know that the minute anyone does anything in Sheffield someone will pop up on Sheffield Forum and ask the stupid question as to whether it's legal for people to enjoy themselves in public.

Seriously though, would these questions get asked in other cities?

Does anyone think at the end of the London Marathon there's a lone whiney voice saying 'oooh a lady wanted to go from a to b and couldn't get because of the worlds most publicised race - that's so wrong. What would have happened if her cat had ran out of food???'.

Whinge bags!!

It's done under the Road Traffic Regulation (Special Events) Act 1994, presumably.

Doesn't that require the provision of an alternate route? That clearly did not happen here. I wouldn't be surprised to see objections lodged should a further application be made to do the same in future.

What possible purpose was served here apart from the desire on the part of some to inflict the maximum inconvenience on folk who live in posh houses.

So you now want to cheapen the incredible commitment people have made to raising money for charity and also raising the profile of the city to some sort of spiteful class issue?

Do you really think many people from all walks of life went to such efforts yesterday just to prevent somebody who lives in a 'posh house' from driving across a road?

So you now want to cheapen the incredible commitment people have made to raising money for charity and also raising the profile of the city to some sort of spiteful class issue?

Do you really think many people from all walks of life went to such efforts yesterday just to prevent somebody who lives in a 'posh house' from driving across a road?

I think the issue is more this (from earlier in the thread):

A little annoyed that a road flagged up as being closed from 8:45 was already shut off before 8:30 when I tried to get through. Luckily I found a work around. The official site had said that closure times were subject to change, so I had made the point of rechecking at around 8:00 this morning, but had still said 8:45.

Closing the roads is fair enough, but this person make the effort to leave 15 mins before the roads closed to find out that...the road was already closed.

A valid gripe, no?

Edited by Vegas1

Re bib. Is there anyone on here who lives in the affected area? Were you specifically advised on the closures?

Hallamshire tennis club definitely were, they put a note about it on their blog.

http://www.hallamshiretennis.co.uk/news

In fact, sod it. Let's not have an event like this ever again. It's obviously too much of an inconvenience for some people to not be able to drive on certain roads for a few hours on a Sunday morning once a year. Let's forget all the hard work people did for good causes and pander to the selfish few who feel hard done to because their sad sheltered lives were mildly inconvenienced.

It really never ceases to amaze me how selfish some posters are on here.

The Road Closures leaflet here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/roadworks.html

includes language like this:

In accordance with Sheffield City Council being the highway authority for the Metropolitan District of Sheffield, an order has been made prohibiting and restricting the use of certain roads and road junctions by vehicles in order to facilitate the

safe holding of the Yorkshire Half Marathon - Sheffield.

The event will require the closure of roads and road junctions as well as the suspension of a number of Traffic Regulation Orders between 4.00am and 4.00pm on Sunday 12th April 2015.

It also says the closures times are approximate and subject to change.

Of course it's legal. It has to be. They know that the minute anyone does anything in Sheffield someone will pop up on Sheffield Forum and ask the stupid question as to whether it's legal for people to enjoy themselves in public.

Seriously though, would these questions get asked in other cities?

Does anyone think at the end of the London Marathon there's a lone whiney voice saying 'oooh a lady wanted to go from a to b and couldn't get because of the worlds most publicised race - that's so wrong. What would have happened if her cat had ran out of food???'.

Whinge bags!!

I never asked whether it was legal for people to enjoy themselves in public. I asked whether it was legal to block people in for several hours to which Dannyno answered. But please continue to rant all you like.

In fact, sod it. Let's not have an event like this ever again. It's obviously too much of an inconvenience for some people to not be able to drive on certain roads for a few hours on a Sunday morning once a year. Let's forget all the hard work people did for good causes and pander to the selfish few who feel hard done to because their sad sheltered lives were mildly inconvenienced.

It really never ceases to amaze me how selfish some posters are on here.

Post #88????

Of course it's legal. It has to be. !

So what you are saying is that you have no idea.

So what you are saying is that you have no idea.

Nobody is going to close roads if it wasn't legal.

The Road Closures leaflet here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/works/roadworks.html

includes language like this:

It also says the closures times are approximate and subject to change.

But then that act seems to require the provision of alternate routes for people. So we know what act was used to close roads but not whether it was applied legally.