Sheffield Half Marathon 2015 road closures

I was actually surprised that there wasn't any sort of outcry before the event about the "Whirlow Triangle" being cut off for so long. It is quite an imposition to have ho vehicular access at all. (Remember the complaints from the Fox Hill area in the lead up to the Tour de France). Its one thing having a road closed which means you have to detour, but quite another to be isolated completely.

Maybe it would make more sense to have an out and back route - ie carry on Ringinglow road towards Burbage until the quarter marathon distance, then turn around and come back. It would be easier to manage road closures and be less disruptive to residents who have no interest in the event yet are expected to have their sunday disrupted to such a degree.

Glad to hear it went off without any problems like last year, it does show it was the right decision to have a new team organise it...and now that DVS is gone, there is no reason to end at Attercliffe in future.

It certainly helped getting around this year, with the course at the other end of the city, and is unfortunate for those who are not followers of the event that may be inconvenienced by it.

At least now the route has now been run in this new area, hopefully next year more people will be aware of the closures - if you're not in Sheffield or have any interest in the race, you may well have had no idea it was on, and where it had an impact.

Well done to those that got round and earned money for charity :)

Was the event really that well publicised ? Residents in and around the route or someone that say commutes along the route would have or should have had an idea about road closures but in general I don't seem to recall the event been that well publicised. Think it's a little harsh to say anyone caught short only really has themselves to blame.

Of course not everyone knew. We spectated at the top of Dobcroft Road for a couple of hours. In that time probably 80 to 100 cars were turned back from the top of that road alone, and that included several taxis.

My point is that I really don't understand why someone who lived in the triangle and merely needed to drive across Ecclesall Road more than 30 minutes before the first runner arrived was prevented from doing so. What possible purpose was served here apart from the desire on the part of some to inflict the maximum inconvenience on folk who live in posh houses.

Was the event really that well publicised ? Residents in and around the route or someone that say commutes along the route would have or should have had an idea about road closures but in general I don't seem to recall the event been that well publicised. Think it's a little harsh to say anyone caught short only really has themselves to blame.

I don't know.

I regularly use Netherthorpe Road / Hanover Way, so have seen the matrix signs for several weeks. Also, I've been conscious of the build up to the event. I have certain journeys to make on sunday mornings which were affected by the event and so modified my day to suit. (Edit: I made a point of checking the website to see which roads would be closed, and when, even rechecking on Sunday morning, in case there had been any changes). Even then, I was nearly caught out by road closures earlier than advertised.

I don't know how well people in the Whirlow area were informed. Were individual households informed beforehand or did it just rely on signage? I pass matrix signs on my daily commute. What about people who don't, were there other signs, more locally, for them to see? I don't know because I don't live in the area.

From my experience as a spectator, plus talking to a few runners I know, this looked like it was a successful event, and I hope it continues for many years. An uphill course into the countryside to the west of the city is a great idea, IMO. However, we must remember that events such as this rely on public acceptance. It would be a pity if it was jeopardized because of unnecessary inconvenience to some people.

Edited by Eater Sundae

There are some real whinge bag apologists on here.

Anyone who claims that the event wasn't well known in advance is only fooling themselves.

So many thousands of us enjoyed running the race. Many more enjoyed watching it - and supporting - they were fantastic all the way round.

But that may have affected the movements of a few individuals.

And someone has the nerve (or stupidity) to even ask if that is legal.

That's so sad.

It is sad that people can`t manage without their car for an hour or two, especially on a Sunday. I did the race. I knew traffic / closures could be tricky so I caught a bus to town and back after the race.. Surely some of these journeys could have been made without reliance on a car?

Heads up, there`s a little race in London in a couple of weeks. Hope they survive the road closures there.

Rumour has it that as soon as the roads opened around Whirlow, the local shops saw a 300% uplift in the sales of quinoa and balsamic vinegar.

Give the minimum amout of consideration to legitimate concerns of those inconvenienced by this years event in order to ensure the maximum amount of objections should you wish to run the event in future.

There are some real whinge bag apologists on here.

Anyone who claims that the event wasn't well known in advance is only fooling themselves.

So many thousands of us enjoyed running the race. Many more enjoyed watching it - and supporting - they were fantastic all the way round.

But that may have affected the movements of a few individuals.

And someone has the nerve (or stupidity) to even ask if that is legal.

That's so sad.

Stupidity ? I was only asking a question. If you'd actually read what I wrote I said I wasn't directly affected but was curious as to whether they could actually block people in like that.

Rumour has it that as soon as the roads opened around Whirlow, the local shops saw a 300% uplift in the sales of quinoa and balsamic vinegar.

:huh:

... That'd be the visiting Parsonians buying mementos of their day trip to the countryside. :rolleyes:

The council website had a leaflet about road closures, was that not circulated to residents?

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 10:35 ----------

Stupidity ? I was only asking a question. If you'd actually read what I wrote I said I wasn't directly affected but was curious as to whether they could actually block people in like that.

It's done under the Road Traffic Regulation (Special Events) Act 1994, presumably.

The council website had a leaflet about road closures, was that not circulated to residents?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 10:35 ----------

[/color]

It's done under the Road Traffic Regulation (Special Events) Act 1994, presumably.

Re bib. Is there anyone on here who lives in the affected area? Were you specifically advised on the closures?