Sheffield Half Marathon 2015 road closures

I think this is what AndrewC was really saying:

As long as there is plenty of advance publicity about road closures, we drivers can manage without driving a specific route for a few hours. . ;)

That may be so, but anyone wanting to drive from Dore to or from Broomhill on the morning of the race will have to go round via Fox House, Bamford and the A57 as all other routes across appear to be blocked. Alternatively, down Abbeydale Road and take a chance to get round through inevitable congestion in the station area. For the journey described a 10/15 minute trip will take a lot longer. A lot of folks won't be aware and will be severely delayed in the inevitable jams.

At which point I apologise. As a rebel runner in 2014 I was offered a discounted place for 2015 and rashly took it up before seeing the course! It's not going to be quick, so you'll have seen a lot of runners grinding up the hills towards Ringinglow in recent weeks, trying to get fit for the day. I'm looking forward to, and dreading, the event. I said 2014 would be my last. 2015 probably will be. Yet even the practice gives a warm glow of satisfaction, and I certainly sleep well for it. I'm just glad I remain fit enough to attempt the event. Most who do feel a lot better for giving it a go, however long they take.

But the traffic disruption remains a concern. I'm not at all sure that enough folks will be aware of what they'll need to prepare for.

That may be so, but anyone wanting to drive from Dore to or from Broomhill on the morning of the race will have to go round via Fox House, Bamford and the A57 as all other routes across appear to be blocked. Alternatively, down Abbeydale Road and take a chance to get round through inevitable congestion in the station area. For the journey described a 10/15 minute trip will take a lot longer. A lot of folks won't be aware and will be severely delayed in the inevitable jams.

At which point I apologise. As a rebel runner in 2014 I was offered a discounted place for 2015 and rashly took it up before seeing the course! It's not going to be quick, so you'll have seen a lot of runners grinding up the hills towards Ringinglow in recent weeks, trying to get fit for the day. I'm looking forward to, and dreading, the event. I said 2014 would be my last. 2015 probably will be. Yet even the practice gives a warm glow of satisfaction, and I certainly sleep well for it. I'm just glad I remain fit enough to attempt the event. Most who do feel a lot better for giving it a go, however long they take.

But the traffic disruption remains a concern. I'm not at all sure that enough folks will be aware of what they'll need to prepare for.

I bet there will be plenty of complaints from those who don't realize it's happening until they arrive at a closed road and then try to work out an alternative.

It looks to involve closure of the full length of Ecclesall Road and Ecclesall Road South right out to Ringinglow and Dore. Also, the section of the ring road around the bottom of Ecclesall Road. That is quite a barrier for people planning to travel across the South West side of the city.

I normally travel between Nether Green and Heeley, and back, twice on a Sunday morning, going via Ecclesall Road, Hunters Bar and Nether Edge. That will be out of the question. My only real option at that time will be to go via the University and clockwise right around the inner relief/ring road, and back out via the station and Queens Road. Not impossible, but a much longer journey. Instead, I'll probably delay my journeys until later in the day when the roads have re-opened. Not perfect, but it will do. I might as well then use the free time in the morning to watch the race.

Also, for those who are familiar with the clueless game played on Radio Sheffield on a Sunday morning - I hope they remember that this event is on and steer well clear.

Edit. From an initial glance, the triangle of land bounded by Knowle Lane, Ringinglow Road, Sheephill Road, Hathersage Road, Limb Lane and Ecclesall Road South appears to be totally cut off for a period. Access in and out is not available at all between 9:15 and 11:00, I think (These are the times when the Haugh Lane crossing of Knowle Lane is closed). The rest of the road opens and closes at various times, outside this. I'm already imagining the "sad face" photos in the Star of those people trapped in their houses on the morning of the race, who didn't realize they would be affected.

Edited by Eater Sundae

I bet there will be plenty of complaints from those who don't realize it's happening until they arrive at a closed road and then try to work out an alternative.

Do you know if there were plenty of complaints in previous years when the marathon was on, or other events such as the Tour de France or the Sheffield Grand Prix cycling races?

I was indeed being sarcastic, and attempting to beat all the usual people who try and bemoan the use of city streets for one morning of the year for a run which thousands will participate in.

I have a little sympathy for those who live in that triangle beyond Knowle Lane, however we're talking about 2-3 hours on a Sunday morning and plenty of notice.

As for the large detours others will have to take, in all my years in Sheffield when this race and the 10k race too have been run, I have never witnessed gridlock on the diversion routes. Most people realise it's the day of the race and put off their usual trips.

I used to live on part of the route, insomuch as there was an official route.

There never used to be much traffic problems even so. The biggest problem was people cheering and clapping if you happened to be working nights and needed to sleep but thats what earplugs are for.

In fairness there have been large yellow street signs on the affected roads for a week now.

If drivers have not seen them maybe they need to re take their driving test.

It looks like those of us that have to travel to work on public transport from up in Ecclesall will have a bit of trouble that morning unless we pay for a taxi to take us a daft route.

I'm going to drive my Hummer through all the diversions and road closures. What's the worst thing that could happen?

I'm going to drive my Hummer through all the diversions and road closures. What's the worst thing that could happen?

You could kill someone ?

You asked the question.

Think some runners are going to be in for a shock if they are not familiar with the hills.

I'm aiming to do the first 5m in 45 minutes or less and then the next 8m in 64 or less to break 1h 50m.

Think some runners are going to be in for a shock if they are not familiar with the hills.

I'm aiming to do the first 5m in 45 minutes or less and then the next 8m in 64 or less to break 1h 50m.

I think you are right - lets hope those from out of Sheffield have done their research !

Good luck with your run !

I always thought it was a bit odd that a city famous for its hills parks and countryside had a half marathon that barley touched any of them!

The new route and organisers have been like a breath of fresh air.

Sure it will be a great day for spectators and runners alike with some spectacular views of the city on offer,