Sheffield Half Marathon 2015 road closures

Because it had said times were subject to change (actually stated by me in an earlier post before the event), I went to the trouble of checking the website on the Sunday morning. I don't know whether they ever intended to update the document, I doubt it.

<snip>

It wasn't much of a problem in the whole scheme of things, for me, but I would expect to be able to rely on road closure information if they go to the trouble of giving it.

I can understand the irritation, and as you say if you were relying on those times you might get caught out.

But I think your expectations were mistaken. They published a timetable, but in saying that they were subject to change I don't think they meant that they would publish new times on the websites up to and including the day itself. I think that's what you seem to have been expecting?

I think "subject to change" means exactly that - "subject to change" - i.e. they will be reacting to events on the day and adjusting their plans. You can't keep publishing revised timetables in real time. I mean the times they've published will be the working timetable prior to the event, and they won't need to change those. But come the day of the event, and anything could happen.

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 22:19 ----------

Much tougher but great support akin to le Tour!

btw, Manchester has a marathon next weekend so some roads maybe closed.

They've got similar issues in Manchester with residents access in some areas.

For example:

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/race-info/road-closure-info/area-10/

Residents on the west side of Manor Avenue, between Firsway and Carrington Lane and on the south side of Carrington Lane at Heatherway are unable to leave once the road closures come into place at 09.00 and 9.30 at Heatherway junction Carrington Lane.

If you live in Sycamore Court, are using the Premier Inn, or the Mersey Farm, then there will be supervised access on Carrington Lane to allow access all day.

If you live on one of the roads with no access onto the race route, at the north end of Manor Avenue, we recommend that, before 09.00, you move your vehicle to a nearby road that will allow you to access diversion routes away from the race.

Similar issues for the London Marathon:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/event-info/road-closures/

Residents of Wapping are enclosed by the route as it passes along The Highway between miles 13 to 14 and again on the opposite carriageway between miles 21 to 22.

What they've done there is arrange for residents parking in local school grounds.

Of course, the London Marathon is a vastly bigger event, which lasts much longer, so more contingencies need building in.

I can understand the irritation, and as you say if you were relying on those times you might get caught out.

But I think your expectations were mistaken. They published a timetable, but in saying that they were subject to change I don't think they meant that they would publish new times on the websites up to and including the day itself. I think that's what you seem to have been expecting?

I think "subject to change" means exactly that - "subject to change" - i.e. they will be reacting to events on the day and adjusting their plans. You can't keep publishing revised timetables in real time. I mean the times they've published will be the working timetable prior to the event, and they won't need to change those. But come the day of the event, and anything could happen.

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 22:19 ----------

They've got similar issues in Manchester with residents access in some areas.

For example:

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/race-info/road-closure-info/area-10/

Similar issues for the London Marathon:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/event-info/road-closures/

What they've done there is arrange for residents parking in local school grounds.

Of course, the London Marathon is a vastly bigger event, which lasts much longer, so more contingencies need building in.

I didn't particularly expect them to update the timings on the website, but as it was the only hope I had of getting an update, I tried it

I didn't particularly expect them to update the timings on the website, but as it was the only hope I had of getting an update, I tried it

Yeah, I get that. Perhaps all they need to say for next year is that the timetable of closures is an estimate only, and is subject to change right up to the start of the race. The message people need to hear is, "don't count on being able to drive across the route from early in the morning".

Lessons will have been learned, one of which will be that it was a big success and worth repeating in 2016.

As a participant I was impressed with the number of marshalls around the course. There are a lot of intersections and as far as I can recall all were manned by at least two marshalls.

The organisers of the new route needed to be cautious. Maybe in 2016 they may be able to allow slightly more flexibilty of movement before the run starts, and possibly when the main body of runners has passed. However, an outright blockade makes things a lot safer to implement. Allowing car A to go through, and not car B, would make for dangerous chaos unless it was only in very limted circumstances and very carefully controlled.

As it was the start of the race had to be delayed due to cars left parked on the course.