Mechanic wanted with time to spend on a Fiat 124 Spider

Hello,

I've had a Fiat 124 Spider for around a year, but my local mechanic who has worked on it so far doesn't have a lot of time to get to the bottom of current niggles. It starts fine, and idles OK, but there are flat spots when accelerating, and it currently cuts out when coming to a halt once it's running.

My local mechanic thinks it needs a new air flow meter (expensive), and the person that I bought it from thinks some new HT leads may be the answer. It has already had its idle rate adjusted, so that's not the problem.

Is there anyone out there with the time and premises to keep the car for a day or two and get to the bottom of what's up?

Thanks for this Remapper. The garage I've got for the Spider is not much bigger than the car, has no electricity, and I'm no home mechanic, but this will be very useful for anyone working on it.

Hmmm, try excellautomotive at Sheepbridge. They are spot on at sorting things like this.

Thank you, I'll give them a call.

Could well be the air flow meter. There's a conductive track inside that can become worn with the result that the fuel metering becomes erratic. This shows you what's inside (and for those who have some technical ability a way to get the wiper to run on some fresh track).

http://the944.com/afm.htm

Some stuff you can do yourself.

HT leads, yes it may help or even cure it. Worth a try.

Is it a carb system? if so get a recon kit and fit it, that may solve the problem.

Or, it may just be the fuel filter that is full of crud, check it and blow the thing clean.

The fuel pump may be knackered, they are cheap and a doddle to fit, again a job you could do yourself.

All this is after you have checked the obvious, like plug gaps, air filter, breather pipes etc.

If you don't want to get down and dirty, take it to Tavern service station, or Blagdens on Hicks St, both trustworthy and have the skills.

Hope that helps.

Great car by the way !!

Well Gel :)