Flavouring groundbait.

I have always backed off using flavours thinking that most pellets and groundbaits already have been field tested by bait companies and what's available is good enough.

The thing is I've been working on my own groundbait to get the price down and now I can make own for around a quid per kilo but it smells of not much at all. I was thinking a flavour may help but have no idea of what to use, looking around at all the different types is a bit confusing so a of help is needed.

Any ideas are welcome :confused::confused:

You can use brine and tuna from tinned tuna, the sweet water from sweetcorn, and the oily water from hemp to flavour and wetten the groundbait if you use these baits anyway .

There a loads of flavours in tackle shops, but personally if it was me I would stick with fishy flavours, as a lot of tackle is made to catch the angler, not the fish.

I was thinking fishy rather than sweet, the stuff I have is predominantly chick crumb that has no smell apart from a little musty damp snif.

I reckon the smell is more for my benefit than the fish as I don't fancy stinking like I need a shower all day. I think I may try a bit of fish meal with tunna.

I don't want to go overboard cost wise with tackle shop type flavours, I just need to savr a few quid. I can use up to 1 or 3 kilo in the margin when the Carp come close in the margin and three times a week is costing too much

Mix in some custard powder.

This is the Fishing section not come dine with me, what next Apple crumble.:hihi:

hi.....when is the charity match, cheers martin.

This is the Fishing section not come dine with me, what next Apple crumble.:hihi:

Behave, we all did it when we were kids; bake some slices of bread till they're hard and crumble it to a fine crumb, mix in a couple of teaspoons of custard powder. To use it, you just damp a bit up and make a small which produces a lovely cloud to entice fish into your swim. Worked fine for us.