More powers to discipline kids at school.

do you think that caning should be brought back to schools as a deterrant.should teachers have more powers.if my child misbehaved badly at school and was causing trouble and was sent for the cane then i think that if he deserved the cane he should get it.

do you think that caning should be brought back to schools as a deterrant.should teachers have more powers.if my child misbehaved badly at school and was causing trouble and was sent for the cane then i think that if he deserved the cane he should get it.

I know a number of teachers and ex-teachers. Most of the 'ex' cases have left through despair at being unable to do what is needed with unruly kids.

When we were caned at school (not that long ago for me, I'm 41), it worked.

I know a number of teachers and ex-teachers. Most of the 'ex' cases have left through despair at being unable to do what is needed with unruly kids.

When we were caned at school (not that long ago for me, I'm 41), it worked.

i agree with you.when i was at school the fear of caning was scary so you tried to avoid it at all costs,teachers have no powers these days.i think whats lacking in society today is a good old fashioned clip.

Might work for the mini yobs, but I wouldn't advocate it for being out of uniform, forgetting homework, running on the corridor, or sneezing whilst the teacher is talking like we used to get at some of the schools I attended.

There's a fine line between necessary punishment and sheer bloody cruelty like what was dished out at CTS. They'd cane the class simply because they weren't sure who had offended.

Happy days.

Might work for the mini yobs, but I wouldn't advocate it for being out of uniform, forgetting homework, running on the corridor, or sneezing whilst the teacher is talking like we used to get at some of the schools I attended.

There's a fine line between necessary punishment and sheer bloody cruelty like what was dished out at CTS. They'd cane the class simply because they weren't sure who had offended.

Happy days.

you have got a point.but overall they should have more powers.

A lot of us have been saying this for ages on S.F. i.e. that teachers ......police......etc....have now lost any authority they once had over the Yobs . The Hand-Wringers and Do-Gooders then generally shout us down with cries of , " force doesn't solve anything " , or , " physical punishment is bad as it gives a bad example " .......etc.....

Most of them are so naive that they can't see that if adults don't have authority , then , usually the bullies and yobs will ' fill the gap '.Teachers in the old days , for example , could be fearsome , but they didn't rob you , knife you for no reason or follow you home and beat you up.

Living in Sheffield , you'd have thought that people here might know that Sheffield's streets were once largely controlled by the equivalent of yobs and the way the problem was solved was by using greater force . It's not always 100% fair or pleasant but it's better than the alternative -------as we can see in our ' wonderful' cool Britannia every day .Once the Sheffield police re-gained control we probably had the safest city streets in the country for the next 60 years . How strange !!

Actually , a child of 10 could have told have told the Do-Gooders what was going wrong 30 years ago but since when have sociologists and administrators listened to sense when there's a new idea they can swallow hook , line and sinker ? Now , I'm afraid it's about 30 years and a few billion quid too late .

Unfortunately I think this country has got into such a state that even bringing back punishment in school will sort it out.

I can just see a teacher trying to cane some thug now- and possibly getting a beating because of it.. I just dont think in this day and age caning, and other methods like that will work.

Hardly likely to happen, when there are now laws to restrict parents from using corporal punishment.

What does it teach them anyway, that the person with the biggest stick is right?

to late law & order along with respect,as gone down the pan

I was caned at school during the 50's and 60's and to be honest it was an easy option for both the teachers and me. I had been caned so many times it did'nt bother me any more. What I DID fear was the letter home to my parents, as they would not have been impressed with my behavior at school.

To send letters home to parents would have been too much trouble for my teachers it was simpler just to cane.

The day we left school we 'borrowed' the punishment book and counted each others entries and the number of strokes given. I had recieved over 50 strokes in the last term alone, but I feared my parents more.

I have the same experience as Nimrod. Caned several times and on the occasions my parents found out I got into even more trouble. The caning was a waste of time, those of us who were caned were held in some kind of esteem by others.

Discipline, if it is to be meeted out, should be done by the parents but these days they are more likely to just turn up the TV if anybody tells them their kids are mis-behaving.

Corporal punishment in schools is wrong, there is no amount of debate can change that. If anyone was hit by a stick outside of a school then criminal charges would be brought. How can anyone justify criminal acts within a school?

Bang on Max :) You can see this in action every day on the streets of the city centre. Perhaps parents have too many distractions from their brats, sorry offspring these days?