Running. Why do they do it?

There are specific 'training' shoes with high cushioning which are better for regular road running as opposed to lightweight race shoes or barefoot shoes. So you wouldn't necessarily get the most suitable road shoe simply by buying any old running shoe.

There are specific 'training' shoes with high cushioning which are better for regular road running as opposed to lightweight race shoes or barefoot shoes. So you wouldn't necessarily get the most suitable road shoe simply by buying any old running shoe.

Exactly, it is a medical fact that the damage caused to joints in older people is irreversible through running on roads and pavements wearing unsuitable footwear.

Barefoot would be another niche shoe (I use zero heel myself).

If you go into Decathalon (for example) you'll find that nearly every running shoe they sell is highly cushioned and designed for running on hard surfaces.

They might have one trail shoe, maybe, they don't have any barefoot or low/zero heels.

Sweat shop would be different of course.

Barefoot would be another niche shoe (I use zero heel myself).

If you go into Decathalon (for example) you'll find that nearly every running shoe they sell is highly cushioned and designed for running on hard surfaces.

They might have one trail shoe, maybe, they don't have any barefoot or low/zero heels.

Sweat shop would be different of course.

I happened to go to decathlon today. They have about 6 pairs of trail shoes. But in the own brand range, at least, only 2 which were 'cushion' shoes. There were some propulsion shoes which had some cushioning but they are designed for shorter runs. In my estimation as an owner of a pair of said kiprun SD shoes, they have much less cushioning than my Mizuno Wave Ultima of Enigma shoes.

I happened to go to decathlon today. They have about 6 pairs of trail shoes. But in the own brand range, at least, only 2 which were 'cushion' shoes. There were some propulsion shoes which had some cushioning but they are designed for shorter runs. In my estimation as an owner of a pair of said kiprun SD shoes, they have much less cushioning than my Mizuno Wave Ultima of Enigma shoes.

Fair enough, I'm honestly surprised.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-605169-mens-running-shoes#

Are they listed here, I went through the first 10 before I got bored and they all either said road or neutral.

what do the experienced runners think of vibram five fingers? the trainers that mimic running barefoot? bit off topic :)

---------- Post added 11-07-2015 at 17:18 ----------

apparently improves posture, avoid injury. I guess not if you stand on a piece of glass.

Fair enough, I'm honestly surprised.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-605169-mens-running-shoes#

Are they listed here, I went through the first 10 before I got bored and they all either said road or neutral.

No they are listed here:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-825600-mens-trail-running-shoes/N-195136-brand~kalenji

I think they had all these in stock.

IIRC they had a couple of pairs of each of each type, propulsion cushion and race and some of those were for over pronators.

Edited by biotechpete

what do the experienced runners think of vibram five fingers? the trainers that mimic running barefoot? bit off topic :)

apparently improves posture, avoid injury. I guess not if you stand on a piece of glass.

I've got a pair of what they call "minimalist" running shoes, I suspect the same as Cyclone's "zero heels", and the chap in the shop said they were a kind of in between for running shoes and barefoot shoes.

Having read about barefoot running I understood that you need to build up to it as you run differently.

These trainers I mention are one of the most comfortable pair of footwear I've ever worn. I intended to start small and work up, but the first time I ran in them it felt so good I got a bit carried away. The result? I could barely walk for three days :D

My take on barefoot running is that we were probably built to do it, just not on tarmac.

I've gone back to my Asics! It also means I don't have to start again, and can continue improving my 5k PB...

My take on barefoot running is that we were probably built to do it, just not on tarmac.

I've gone back to my Asics! It also means I don't have to start again, and can continue improving my 5k PB...

I used to love my light weight racing trainers, I am too old and too heavy for them now ;)

Decathlons website is poor they have many more trainers instore.

I bought my trail shoes from them they were cheaper than most websites.

The latest trend in running is for maximum cushioned shoes I am currently trying the Hoka one which has massive cushioning and is highly rated to see if it allows me to increase my amount of hard surface running initial results have been good.

For me minimal shoes cause knee pain unless running on grass.

I use zero heel trainers, very thin, soft soles. I've had a bruise or two from stones, but never any worse than that.

Don't fancy the idea of five fingers though.

---------- Post added 12-07-2015 at 18:44 ----------

No they are listed here:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/C-825600-mens-trail-running-shoes/N-195136-brand~kalenji

I think they had all these in stock.

IIRC they had a couple of pairs of each of each type, propulsion cushion and race and some of those were for over pronators.

Better than I'd expect of them tbh.

---------- Post added 12-07-2015 at 18:45 ----------

These trainers I mention are one of the most comfortable pair of footwear I've ever worn. I intended to start small and work up, but the first time I ran in them it felt so good I got a bit carried away. The result? I could barely walk for three days :D

It gets easier. The first few months that I used them made my calves very very sore, as you run up on your toes more, less on your heel.

I got used to them though (although they seem to have gone out of fashion and low heel is all I can find at the moment).

I use zero heel trainers, very thin, soft soles. I've had a bruise or two from stones, but never any worse than that.

Don't fancy the idea of five fingers though.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of milage to you get from them?