Running. Why do they do it?

I am 53 and run regularly. I am still the same 12 stone I was when I joined the army 30 yrs ago.

I eat any old rubbish and don't have to worry about calories or putting on weight.

8 years ago I stopped smoking and running. In about 6 months my weight shot up to 13 stone so started running again.

Because they get high!!!

Jogging increases the flow of dopamine.

Most people I know only run when the police are after them.

.... wear the right trainers ....
Yeah, I can't over emphasise how much more comfortable running is with a proper set of tarmac running shoes. It was a massive transformation. They weren't cheap, but a wise investment.

Never heard of tarmac running shoes. I usually go for something like Asics Nimbus, is that the kind of thing you mean?

Most running shoes are for tarmac, unless you specifically go out shopping for trail shoes.

Most running shoes are for tarmac, unless you specifically go out shopping for trail shoes.

I would have thought so too, but I'd just call them 'running shoes' or 'trainers'; I don't think I've ever heard them called tarmac shoes before.

Look, pedancy aside, I don't know the technical term - I spoke to someone in the shop who knew about running. I told him I was gonna run on roads, not grass, not astroturf, not sprung wooden gyms, not fells, not cinder tracks - ie tarmac for up to about 5 miles, 3 times a week and can he advise me something suitable, which he did. Prior to this I used cheap, non-specific trainers and found my ankles were uncomfortable. Since then I've had no bother.

To me that's tarmac .... I could have said "road", but a road can have different surfaces - if someone wants to educate me with a specific term, Im happy to learn

@hyper

I'd never heard them called tarmac shoes before. I only commented because I wondered if they were some kind of niche running shoes, I was unaware of; specifically designed for use on roads.

I'd just call them trainers or running shoes or maybe road shoes; not sure what the correct term is! To me, it doesn't really matter what you call them though, so long as they do the job! ;)

I had a nice circular walk over the mountain here today.

Three and a half hour walk...I guess about 10/12 miles.

Just me and the dog.

I didn't need to prove anything....best time and such like.

I had time to appreciate the view and wild life around me.

Met and chatted to other walkers and came home feeling good.

Life (at my age) needs to be taken slowly.

I still doubt the wisdom of the runners out there.

Will they regret any damage to joints in later life?

I had running related knee injuries 10 years ago (I am 51 now)

These were brought on by going to far to soon basically overuse injuries.

These persisted for several years even after I stopped running.

A few years ago I started running again building mileage very slowly and whenever I get pain I ease off.

I also ran mainly off road and always stretched afterwards.

I can now run nearly as far as I used to with no pain and my knees feel stronger, I also do a lot of core strengthening exercises.

Obviously it depends on the individual and particularly for those with chronic conditions or very overweight it may not be the best exercise but there are plenty of studies out there that say running when done correctly does not cause more knee problems compared with people who don't run.

The lesson for me is that you have to take care of and listen to your body when running or you will end up getting injured.

Good article below.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1948208,00.html

Look, pedancy aside, I don't know the technical term - I spoke to someone in the shop who knew about running. I told him I was gonna run on roads, not grass, not astroturf, not sprung wooden gyms, not fells, not cinder tracks - ie tarmac for up to about 5 miles, 3 times a week and can he advise me something suitable, which he did. Prior to this I used cheap, non-specific trainers and found my ankles were uncomfortable. Since then I've had no bother.

To me that's tarmac .... I could have said "road", but a road can have different surfaces - if someone wants to educate me with a specific term, Im happy to learn

All we were saying is that if you'd gone out to buy some running trainers or shoes, then running shoes for road/tarmac is what you'd have got.

You don't get trail or cross running shoes unless you go out shopping specifically for them, because the vast majority of people run on tarmac.

So, I just call them running shoes or running trainers.

---------- Post added 11-07-2015 at 09:12 ----------

I had a nice circular walk over the mountain here today.

Three and a half hour walk...I guess about 10/12 miles.

Just me and the dog.

I didn't need to prove anything....best time and such like.

I had time to appreciate the view and wild life around me.

Met and chatted to other walkers and came home feeling good.

Life (at my age) needs to be taken slowly.

I still doubt the wisdom of the runners out there.

Will they regret any damage to joints in later life?

We already showed you the study that showed decreased risk of arthritis.

And of course there is no reason that a runner can't or doesn't also walk. The two activities are not mutually exclusive.

Edited by Cyclone