Turning off routers

I always turn off my router at night. Lately I having been having a very slow connection. Should I leave my router on 24/7?

Yes you should.

One in seven homes contain a faulty electric appliance:- if the following article is to be believed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11226373/Faulty-appliances-put-one-in-seven-homes-at-risk-of-fire.html

Faulty doesn't mean it'll catch fire. My last block of flats had 69 apartments. Not once in 4 years did we ever have a fire alarm. Current block has 30+, not once in a year have I seen a fire engine.

And of course offices have hundreds of PCs, laptops and monitors, routers and other network hardware that are at best put into stand-by at night. All the power is left on, the power bricks are still connected, but we don't have an epidemic of office buildings burning down.

And there you have it for me,a chance of a fire is good enough for me to switch it of.Money does not come into it where safety is concerned,for me.

There is a chance you could be struck by lightening and catch fire. You should probably never leave your home either.

And of course offices have hundreds of PCs, laptops and monitors, routers and other network hardware that are at best put into stand-by at night. All the power is left on, the power bricks are still connected, but we don't have an epidemic of office buildings burning down.

Which when you also factor in the poor quality PSUs used in a lot of office PCs, it shows just how unlikely this really is.

The danger is mostly Chinese imports that haven't passed British or EU testing.

You turn the entire house off at the consumer unit then, every time you leave the house or go to bed?

Seriously - switching the router on and off is going to stress the power supply more and may even increase the chance of a fire as opposed to leaving it on all the time.

Stress the power supply???? ... unbelievable ... I'll get my coat!

When people complain about breakdowns, the normal thing they say is "my TV/computer/whatever won't switch on" - not "it went off while I was watching/using it"

This is because most electronic breakdowns happen at switch-on, not whilst the equipment is being used. As capacitors get their initial charge they take more current than when in use. Therefore this is when components are most likely to fail.

So yes, power supplies do get stressed.

Personally I've been repairing electronics on and off for getting on for 50 years, and this has been the case from when I started (with valves).

Why do people on here find it necessary to try to ridicule people who have a different perception of things, than they do.Sad.

Why do people on here find it necessary to try to ridicule people who have a different perception of things, than they do.Sad.

I don't think anyone is ridiculing anyone, telling you there is no reason to turn off your router and giving you plenty of reasons to show that your point of view is incorrect is not the same as ridiculing anyone.

It's a discussion forum, it's the same as people calling people they disagree with trolls just because they hold a different point of view.

Sad.

I don't think anyone is ridiculing anyone, telling you there is no reason to turn off your router and giving you plenty of reasons to show that your point of view is incorrect is not the same as ridiculing anyone.

It's a discussion forum, it's the same as people calling people they disagree with trolls just because they hold a different point of view.

Sad.

There you go.You are correct,in your opinion.