Turning off routers

Of course I've only been in the IT industry for 20 years and so probably know next to nothing. However I've never seen an iPhone explode in someones pocket either so maybe I should dump my IT career, get a law degree and become a lawyer for Apple instead to prove that never happens as well.

Maybe you should chill out a bit and stop taking everything as a criticism...where did I say it never happened?

Post removed

Edited by allysum

Hi All

Thank you for your feedback. It is not the charge of leaving the router on it is the fire risk. I have been leaving it on now 24/7. If I am a way from home for a very long lengthy time ie holidays I will turn it off.

What a daft statement.I turn my PC off purely for safety and have done for years.

While I can understand why you really have no need to. The chances of it actually catching fire are really rather small.

Router stays on. PVR stays on standby. Server stays on.

From the comments here you'd think I'd have had several house fires over there years.

I would think that the speed issues you "could" encounter would only apply if you were switching the router off at multiple times a day. DLM is smarter than you give it credit for. I would still leave my router on mind, as I use it for managing a bunch of VMs in my property.

While I can understand why you really have no need to. The chances of it actually catching fire are really rather small.

And there you have it for me,a chance of a fire is good enough for me to switch it of.Money does not come into it where safety is concerned,for me.

Hi All

Thank you for your feedback. It is not the charge of leaving the router on it is the fire risk. I have been leaving it on now 24/7. If I am a way from home for a very long lengthy time ie holidays I will turn it off.

I have had 2 power packs blow in recent years. One on a monitor and one on an external hard drive. The one for the monitor went with a loud pop and blew sparks out from the socket where the mains cable plugged in. It left a few scorch marks on some papers on my desk.

I turn all my transformer packs off at night. It requires one click. Phoning the fire brigade requires more effort than that.

And there you have it for me,a chance of a fire is good enough for me to switch it of.Money does not come into it where safety is concerned,for me.

You turn the entire house off at the consumer unit then, every time you leave the house or go to bed?

Seriously - switching the router on and off is going to stress the power supply more and may even increase the chance of a fire as opposed to leaving it on all the time.

You turn the entire house off at the consumer unit then, every time you leave the house or go to bed?

Seriously - switching the router on and off is going to stress the power supply more and may even increase the chance of a fire as opposed to leaving it on all the time.

Would you recommend leaving Christmas tree lights on when you go out or go to bed?

Would you recommend leaving Christmas tree lights on when you go out or go to bed?

Do you turn your fridge or freezer off every night?

I certainly do these days, now that they're all LEDs and not incandescent. Only at christmas time though.