Litter on Sheffields streets

What really bothers me is that we have a problem that society will never get rid of !!

The authorities say they are fining folks. They might be, but the litter continues to grow and grow and grow and grow ......

I think it's the culture that needs to change. We should make dropping litter as frowned upon as, say, drink driving.

That means education, 0 tolerance, and everybody playing their part.

If the council wants to make money there should be on the spot fines for anyone dropping litter. People should pull anyone up that they see dropping it, (yes, I know, I'm not sure about that one either, but in principle it should be done.) The council should supply bins and make sure they are emptied regularly, parents should set a good example and make sure their kids know the rules, communities could get together to clean up their own areas, (like another poster on this thread. Thankyou.)

I'd also like to see a national and local campaign to raise awarenesss.

I saw a big issue seller throw his can of lager on the floor in town. What surprised me was the bin was just at the side of where he dropped his can. He then asked me to buy his big issue, told him I would if he put his can in the bin. Glad to say he did. Ended up costing me a pound though, as I won't buy big issue, but didn't mind giving him a pound but that's another story.

I think someone was telling you porkies, I can take you to streets that have rubbish that is several years old.

That is what AMEY are contracted to do. Not every bit of rubbish can be collected every time i.e. the stuff that lives under parked cars. Good work on the carbon dating of rubbish.

I saw Amey/council litter pickers out this morning in the underpass near Waitrose.

Yesterday on the way home I picked up a large sack overflowing with polystyrene that was in danger of discharging its cargo everywhere. Given it was bin day I expect it escaped from an overflowing bin and the binmen just left it.

I've also noticed that blue paper bins never seem to be emptied properly. They are half emptied then left on the kerb with their hoods off to the mercy of the wind. I wonder if the binmen could do a more thorough job if they had either more time or more hands. They seem to be in such a massive hurry all the time.

As to people who deliberately or unthinkingly drop litter - scummers.

I walked up Birley lane from the old harrow end, and, just pass the bend someone had dumped a double mattrass into the hedge beside the field.Unbelievable what some people will do,and yes it was reported.Just been past and it has now gone.

Edited by Kidorry
Updated text.

On Penistone Road(heading into the city), at the bus stop next to Evans Halshaw car sales its now a litter hot spot, I reported this to the council a couple of years ago, saying a bin was needed to be sited next to the bus stop. 2 years on, 1000's of pounds spent on improving the pavements and roads and crossings and still no bin, it looks disgusting.

Tuesday, March 31st. Litter Clean Up in the Gleadless Valley. Meet at the Premier shop, Junc.

Leighton Rd / Fleury Rd.

A special plea to the residents of the Valley.

You have some absolutely wonderful woods in your midst in which I have never seen as much litter as there is today !!

Representatives of the Council are helping the Gleadless Valley Wildlife Group.

On Penistone Road(heading into the city), at the bus stop next to Evans Halshaw car sales its now a litter hot spot, I reported this to the council a couple of years ago, saying a bin was needed to be sited next to the bus stop. 2 years on, 1000's of pounds spent on improving the pavements and roads and crossings and still no bin, it looks disgusting.

One of the busiest bus stops in Hillsborough is the one outside Parkers' Jewellers, near Taplin Road. The council have removed the litter bin. :confused:

Surely more are needed, not less.

Edited by Ms Macbeth
Sp

Tuesday, March 31st. Litter Clean Up in the Gleadless Valley. Meet at the Premier shop, Junc.

Leighton Rd / Fleury Rd.

A special plea to the residents of the Valley.

You have some absolutely wonderful woods in your midst in which I have never seen as much litter as there is today !!

Representatives of the Council are helping the Gleadless Valley Wildlife Group.

Good for you!

I wish you every success.

Particularly bad when you walk on the back streets just of London Rd.

Also sadly people have dumped rubbish on Rininglow Rd between the round house and Burbage.

Never seen so much litter in Sheffield.

AHH it's not just me who has gotten annoyed with the increase in rubbish everywhere! The council should really get on this