Litter on Sheffields streets

Gone are the days when we were all proud to be British after all we were involved with two world wars which we helped to win and we could do no wrong.Other countries looked to our standards afterall look at what we have achieved as a country through the ages. Look at the crowds when the U.K is involved and how the badge is kissed showing the alleged love for their country.

Yet fly tipping is in abundance, bags ,bottles ,cans and McDonalds debris is all too common.The comment from JIM117 just about sums it up when its easier to teach a child low standards by throwing paper on the floor.

Making a point to someone throwing their rubbsh on the floor really does run the risk of someoene taking an exception to being told off no matter how polite.

Being proud of your country or the town where you live is more than kissing a badge .

It starts with the small things like putting your garbage in a bin or taking it home.You can teach kids at school which is fine but unless we all buy into it then any suggestion is doomed.

Stop blaming cut back,councils and government.Its down to accountability ,pride and responsibility and till we all improve our standards ( Don`t cry my standards are ok) We all have a part to play.:rant:

RE: The above do you have any solutions?

I have been informed all streets are cleaned by AMEY every 9-12 weeks. Sadly it is not enough for some areas.

I tried to stop pontificating on how things can be improved and by whom.It should be like breathing when dealing with rubbish.You don`t have to think to breath,it should be second nature to put garbage in a bin.

If one bin is full ,then locate another . Just a moments thought. It really is not rocket science is it! Once we rid ourselves of apathy and stop being reliant upon others to clean our crap,then there will be a distinct improvement generally.

It seems to me a regular TV and radio advertisements ,especially based upon something that can be remembered by all .

Look at the Green Cross Code, Clunk Click adverts.Its just an idea,but I think more will be attained when we ask rather than tell people what to do.Something humerous with a serious meaning.

It isn't difficult for me and you it seems but for others it is.

Who will pay for these adverts? Will any council pay for an advert if they "can't" afford to have things cleaned up? Both the campaigns you mention work because doing them generally keeps you alive. Not many people die from too much rubbish.

I am playing devil's advocate somewhat but feel the solution (if there is one) needs to be more immediate and done by people as the authorities take too long to do anything.

Years ago, we had a "Keep Britain Tidy" campaign. Maybe it's time for another?

I have been informed all streets are cleaned by AMEY every 9-12 weeks. Sadly it is not enough for some areas.

I think someone was telling you porkies, I can take you to streets that have rubbish that is several years old.

Trouble is a lot of rubbish is also in parks and footpath / woodland areas.

Anna ,you see the problem is with regards to parks and woodlands people just do not take ownership because as far as they are concerned they are owned by council and conservation societies.That is why when threads like this are raised ,especially in the local newspaper,the common comment is ,leave it for the council to clear,thats why we pay council tax!!!!!!

I guarentee if people on the street were asked who the parks etc belong to and why were they left in the first instance,they would believe it to be the council I am sure.

If they were asked the origins of the park facility,I think it would be a similar answer .

I realise that it may be slightly boring,but I am sure a great deal of people are not aware why the parks were made in the first instance.

Look up and down Rivelin valley just to see car tyres dumped ,and fastfood garbage thrown in the road and in the edge.

It really does annoy me.

I think if the public saw the squaler and deprivation in this city of 80 odd years ago ,then perhaps it might just spur their imagination.

My feelings are that is why local History is a must for school kids and to let them see the slums and back to backs.That I think is better than any fine

Two teenagers were making darts (paper planes) and throwing them out of a tram window today. I wish I was man enough to have tackled them about it but I just ignored it. Sign of the times.

From my window I can see a local school. Between us is a large expanse of grass. Today the grass cutters came, and I was really curious to see what they would do about the mattress which had been dumped in the middle of the field.

As I expected, they simply circled round it. I would report it but the last time I tried to report a dumped fridge on there it took nearly a year before it was removed. It seems that unless you can pinpoint where on a road something is they don't want to know.

I too have notice more litter. As someone has already mentioned the litter in the undergrowth along the sides of the Parkway is appalling. It's not nice for people that regularly travel along there too see but also what first impression does it give to visitors to the City?

I don't go to Meadowhall very often but when I do and I use the car park, I am also appalled by what people have appeared to just tip out of their car on to the floor before driving off.

It is a sad sad world we live in because I pretty sure if and when confronted about it, a lot of offenders will respond with something along the lines of it 'what's it got to do with you' or it 'keeps people in a job' type attitudes. They do not give a second thought to the negative impact on others of their dirty, disgusting and lazy habits.

Tinsley is full with litter and darnall in some areas.