Litter on Sheffields streets

Sheffield has always been 2 or 3 out of 10 when it comes to keeping streets free from litter. I lived in London, Leeds, south coast etc and I am afraid that my home town was amongst the worst. Anna B is correct, it is everyone's duty to keep the city clean, which in turn lessens rodents and insects, improves general health, and is a big plus for attracting visitors.

The solutions ? The volunteer pick up group(Philyyy) is very community minded and deserves thanks. The council should be constantly promoting tidiness and cleanliness. Billboards ?

Part time clean up contractors ?.....put 4 cleaners in a van for 4 hours a day(yes they will have to be paid), let them get everything in garbage bags, starting with the city centre and moving outwards. At least this puts more taxpayers money back to taxpayers. Get the problem to a level that is livable first.....fines for littering enforced !

Sheffield has had many adults with bad litter habits for a long time, but much of the problem today is probably with the 10-25 group with sweet wrappers, drink cartons and food paper.

The schools should have a "Litter free" promotion as Anna B states, starting with the school and immediate surroundings. Kids learn quickly if they believe in what they are doing and why. Once "Environment friendly" they will educate mum and dad and grandparents quickly.

More litter bins in public ? There used to be a security concern when the IRA were in their bombing mode, but that problem has receded. Recommend the Council should try this now and ensure that that all bins are emptied daily or at appropriate times. Any other ideas ?

yes "Fix my street" should help, I checked it out, good suggestion. But to eliminate the problem in its infancy, ie. people's attitude to littering, I believe the Sheffield Council must be continually promoting a litter free city and they must be the driving force to get the all constituents to participate

Some areas are simply appalling, there's litter everywhere! It's piling up in the hedgerows and gutters, in corners, across fields, all over the place. It's doing no end of damage to wildlife, the environment, and looks disgusting

Was just discussing this with a mate!

It doesn't happen in Germany...

Why?

Because people take responsibility

They don't drop litter in the first place

And if they see it, they pick it up

Have started doing this :nod:

Walk or drive down Palgrave Rd S5 past the entrance to the primary school, it's a sea of litter, the headmaster/mistress/teachers/caretaker must be blind or couldn't care less. Just to keep up the competition, there's heaps of litter all around the school's perimeter just inside the railings.

And it's been like that for years.

Walk or drive down Palgrave Rd S5 past the entrance to the primary school, it's a sea of litter, the headmaster/mistress/teachers/caretaker must be blind or couldn't care less. Just to keep up the competition, there's heaps of litter all around the school's perimeter just inside the railings.

All it takes is a change in mindset...

Get the kids litter picking in their break times :nod:

Job done! :D

Hardly rocket science :thumbsup:

All it takes is a change in mindset...

Get the kids litter picking in their break times :nod:

Job done! :D

Hardly rocket science :thumbsup:

It's the responsibility of the school's caretaker and head staff to ensure litter-free premises. When I was at the Central Tech and there was one bus ticket or toffee wrapper in the school yard, we would be told to pick it up and if we were seen throwing one down we would be disciplined. That was the mindset then.

It's the responsibility of the school's caretaker and head staff to ensure litter-free premises. When I was at the Central Tech and there was one bus ticket or toffee wrapper in the school yard, we would be told to pick it up and if we were seen throwing one down we would be disciplined. That was the mindset then.

Quite correct and as it should be :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 19:30 ----------

it is everyone's duty to keep the city clean

This is key

yes "Fix my street" should help, I checked it out, good suggestion. But to eliminate the problem in its infancy, ie. people's attitude to littering, I believe the Sheffield Council must be continually promoting a litter free city and they must be the driving force to get the all constituents to participate

I wouldn't count on it, I reported three issues on that site and non of them got sorted.

Discarded McDonalds packaging is an issue around the Crystal Peaks complex. Hedgerows littered with the stuff, especially after a weekend.

I wouldn't count on it, I reported three issues on that site and non of them got sorted.

When I wrote that it had been working brilliantly but now seems to be, as you say, less effective.

I know this is a bit mundane, but honestly, just what is happening with litter in Sheffield?

Some areas are simply appalling, there's litter everywhere! It's piling up in the hedgerows and gutters, in corners, across fields, all over the place. It's doing no end of damage to wildlife, the environment, and looks disgusting. Some places are beginning to look like the third world!

Maybe cleaning services have been cut and that is making the problem worse, but that's no excuse. It's people like me and you who create it. So please, take care with your litter and bin it. And if the bin's full take it home with you and bin it when you can.

Is it anything to do with less bin collections do you think?

Why not join a group and help pick it up?