Litter on Sheffields streets

It's pretty bad where I live too in Shiregreen, Nethershire Lane in particular. It makes me so mad, people are just disgusting and don't care about where they live. One house on there puts stuff on grass verge, at the moment there's a breakfast bar stool on floor, a rug, bits of metal, I hate walking the dog round here

Come off it Ivan Spatula, don't you know it's a cultural thing to stack any litter from a pizza box to a three piece suite on the corner of Hucklow Road .

But don't worry we are regularly being told that we must integrate so I may be contributing later today by leaving the full contents of 5 bedded house clearance.

Under starters orders GO ?????????

As I've said before on here, the Valley is appalling in this respect. Actually seen a guy walk 3 paces past a bin and chuck his sandwich wrapper on the floor. Worst one though was seeing a little kid coming out of primary school trying to give his sweet wrapper to his mum. She snapped at him "Just chuck it on the floor!" Another filthy habit which seems to have gained popularity is contant spitting, why?

Are you talking Gleadless Valley? I have complained a number of times to the council about the litter on Blackstock Road, and the Overend road area. I have even picked some up and put it in my bin when the dustmen are due. But, it's everywhere. I personally have never seen it this bad, some of it is from the storms, earlier this year, but some, you can tell, is from the bins of certain households - its disgusting, and no one seems to care.

Driving up Eastbank Road, is shocking as well.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 12:55 ----------

Tuesday, March 31st. Litter Clean Up in the Gleadless Valley. Meet at the Premier shop, Junc.

Leighton Rd / Fleury Rd.

A special plea to the residents of the Valley.

You have some absolutely wonderful woods in your midst in which I have never seen as much litter as there is today !!

Representatives of the Council are helping the Gleadless Valley Wildlife Group.

If you have a litter pick around the Horse and Groom, I might be able to help out. I work full-time, but could probably find some time

Can't do too much about the river, some gets thrown in a lot gets blown in on recycling days. One thing you can blame the council for is supplying boxes that aren't fit for purpose. Those fabric covers disintegrate in six months; it's not that people don't bother using them.

I have contacted philyy in the other thread (litter picking groups), if you did want to do something about the litter around Hillsborough.

Admin: Perhaps these threads could be merged?

I think there is a group picking in Hillsborough but will endeavour to find out for you. I have a job on doing stuff in Sharrow.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 13:04 ----------

Can't do too much about the river, some gets thrown in a lot gets blown in on recycling days. One thing you can blame the council for is supplying boxes that aren't fit for purpose. Those fabric covers disintegrate in six months; it's not that people don't bother using them.

I have contacted philyy in the other thread (litter picking groups), if you did want to do something about the litter around Hillsborough.

Admin: Perhaps these threads could be merged?

There are several groups that clear stuff from the rivers, all volunteers, including Blue Loop group amongst others.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 13:05 ----------

hi I have written to the council on several occasions about the litter on grass verges, I wrote about land on upwell street there's a grassed area that has loads of rubbish on it there must be a couple of tons of it looks like black bags have just been emptied on it x

No point in writing to the council, they don't have the resources to clean it all. The contract is outsourced and the private company will do as little as possible to fulfil that contract. If you want it cleaning get people together and get picking.

I know this is a bit mundane, but honestly, just what is happening with litter in Sheffield?

Some areas are simply appalling, there's litter everywhere! It's piling up in the hedgerows and gutters, in corners, across fields, all over the place. It's doing no end of damage to wildlife, the environment, and looks disgusting. Some places are beginning to look like the third world!

Maybe cleaning services have been cut and that is making the problem worse, but that's no excuse. It's people like me and you who create it. So please, take care with your litter and bin it. And if the bin's full take it home with you and bin it when you can.

Is it anything to do with less bin collections do you think?

Not just Sheffield, its everywhere and in some cases as been collecting for years.

It's the same all over the estates, particularly near shops, take-aways. No matter how many laws are passed, councilors won't or can't do anything about it -unless it affects their salary or pension.

What is it that people expect a councillor to be able to do? To fine people they must be caught in the act. To clear it all up costs a fortune when resources are scarce. The best answer is to teach people not to drop it, I have no idea why this needs people to be educated but it obviously does. It seems many, many people just do not care though so fear that is a losing battle too.

If you want it cleaning get people together and get picking.

I think you are probably right, council always appear to have enough staff to listen to and answer your complaints but never enough to actually do the work that will avoid people complaining.

Time to get the job seekers out in force earning money instead of giving them money for doing nothing.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 13:12 ----------

What is it that people expect a councillor to be able to do? To fine people they must be caught in the act. To clear it all up costs a fortune when resources are scarce. The best answer is to teach people not to drop it, I have no idea why this needs people to be educated but it obviously does. It seems many, many people just do not care though so fear that is a losing battle too.

The only resource that is necessary is people and there are plenty of people getting money for doing nothing, its a bit radical but what about giving them money in return for working. :o

I think you are probably right, council always appear to have enough staff to listen to and answer your complaints but never enough to actually do the work that will avoid people complaining.

Time to get the job seekers out in force earning money instead of giving them money for doing nothing.

---------- Post added 05-04-2016 at 13:12 ----------

The only resource that is necessary is people and there are plenty of people getting money for doing nothing, its a bit radical but what about giving them money in return for working. :o

This government had suggested it but seem to have backtracked from it after complaints. This government do that a lot.

Edited by philyyy

This government had suggested it but seem to have backed tracked from it after complaints. They do that a lot.

What? government back track a lot when people complain or people complain a lot when they think they might have to do a little work.

Jobless should work for their benefits, say four in five voters.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8469819/Jobless-should-work-for-their-benefits-say-four-in-five-voters.html

It must be a very loud minority doing the complaining.

Edited by sutty27