Litter on Sheffields streets

I know this is a bit mundane, but honestly, just what is happening with litter in Sheffield?

Some areas are simply appalling, there's litter everywhere! It's piling up in the hedgerows and gutters, in corners, across fields, all over the place. It's doing no end of damage to wildlife, the environment, and looks disgusting. Some places are beginning to look like the third world!

Maybe cleaning services have been cut and that is making the problem worse, but that's no excuse. It's people like me and you who create it. So please, take care with your litter and bin it. And if the bin's full take it home with you and bin it when you can.

Is it anything to do with less bin collections do you think?

With recent news that just about a third of all council tax goes on staff pensions there simply isn't enough cash and it's only going to get worse as councils cut more and more to save staff pensions.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-3005730/Third-council-tax-spent-staff-pensions-warns-leading-council-finance-chief.html

It is not just Sheffield it is nation wide.

Just travel on the M1 and look at the rubbish laying on the edges of

of the hard shoulders, that has been either thrown from vehicles or lost

from insecure loads.

It might be overfilled rubbish bins falling over, wind, etc. but I do think it is everybody's personal responsibility to keep the streets clean by not dropping litter.

We used to have campaigns to highlight the problem, whether they did much good or not I don't know, but I'm sure the problem wasn't as bad as it is now.

Any other ideas how we can get the message across?

I personally am going to write to all the schools in my area asking them to do a bit of campaigning with the kids. (Please teachers out there, if you still do this already, let me know and save me the trouble.)

Understand I'm not blaming the kids at all, but I think if you can get the idea across early, it will stay for life, (it did with me.)

Hopefully the kids will police the parents too.

I know this is a bit mundane, but honestly, just what is happening with litter in Sheffield?

Some areas are simply appalling, there's litter everywhere! It's piling up in the hedgerows and gutters, in corners, across fields, all over the place. It's doing no end of damage to wildlife, the environment, and looks disgusting. Some places are beginning to look like the third world!

Maybe cleaning services have been cut and that is making the problem worse, but that's no excuse. It's people like me and you who create it. So please, take care with your litter and bin it. And if the bin's full take it home with you and bin it when you can.

Is it anything to do with less bin collections do you think?

Its not just Sheffield, its the entire country.

I disagree with the Bold, I don't drop little, I don't fill my bin to the point it overflows, I do pick litter up that other people have dropped.

I totally agree with Anna B, when I was a child we were taught not to just throw stuff everywhere-inside and outside. My car is always untidy inside because I wouldn't even think of just throwing stuff out of the window. My pockets are always full of bits of paper as is my bag. I was always taught "take it with you and bin it when you get home" my granddaughters thankfully are now the same.

As I've said before on here, the Valley is appalling in this respect. Actually seen a guy walk 3 paces past a bin and chuck his sandwich wrapper on the floor. Worst one though was seeing a little kid coming out of primary school trying to give his sweet wrapper to his mum. She snapped at him "Just chuck it on the floor!" Another filthy habit which seems to have gained popularity is contant spitting, why?

As I've said before on here, the Valley is appalling in this respect. Actually seen a guy walk 3 paces past a bin and chuck his sandwich wrapper on the floor. Worst one though was seeing a little kid coming out of primary school trying to give his sweet wrapper to his mum. She snapped at him "Just chuck it on the floor!" Another filthy habit which seems to have gained popularity is contant spitting, why?

There was a time I might have run after him and said politely 'Excuse me, I think you've dropped something.'

Used to embarrass them and make them think twice.

But I don't think I'd dare to do it now. Is that the problem?

Not sure what the reasons for the increases are but it has started to annoy me more than ever in the Sharrow area. I have started a monthly litter picking group on the first Saturday of each month starting outside The Little Shop of Chocs at the foot of South View Road at 10am. Next one is the 4th of April.

I also know there are plans to do a litter pick in Fir Vale on the same day and there are regular ones in Shirecliffe.

I know it is is the council's job but it is not happening so we're doing this.

Feel free to get in touch if you want more info.

I haven't noticed it any worse than before. Perhaps Anna can give us some location-specific examples.

Lots of litter on A1- M1- M18- Mosborough parkway - Sheffield Parkway - A57 from Aston ponds to M1 roundabout.

Totally agree lots more litter this year , maybe offenders with a community service order could help with shifting it .

The Gleadless Road entrance to Gleadless Common is a matter of a few yards from us and my wife walks our little dog several times a day on there, she always cleans up after him and invariably arrives home with litter she has picked up.

A couple of weeks ago it was terribly bad thanks to some kind soul dumping bags of rubbish so she Emailed the council who promptly answered with an acknowledgement and a job number.

Two days later she went to take the dog and they had been and cleaned up the area so thanks to them, it really is worth reporting local build ups as the above shows.

Its got really bad there in the last couple of months -