Tankersley roundabout.

I have noticed that they are advertising future "phase 2" roadworks at the roundabout. The previous phase 1 works lasted for months involving dozens of workmen and machines, They dug a bit and filled a bit but the net result was a couple of dozen trees chopped down and no other discernible improvement. So the question is what the hell have they achieved from months of disruption and aggravation to motorists other than increasing global warming ( culled trees ) ever so slightly.

Top secret modifications to hush hush network cables.

Well, seems that was "Phase 1"

http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/road-projects/a61a616-westwood-roundabout-service-diversions/

The project is to undertake Service Diversions at A61/A616 Westwood roundabout in preparation for a major junction improvement scheme.

"Phase 2" will be the actual changes to the junction, one assumes.

Does anyone have any links to the proposed changes to the junction? They must know what they want/intend to do, otherwise they wouldn't be able to decide how to modify the services. It's a pity that they don't publicise these at the same time.

It's only a few years since the last adjustment to the junction, although that didn't go too well and resulted in a bit of back-tracking and changes to the lane markings. IIRC, some of it was blamed on lack of communication between local and national road systems.

I heard there was talk of a 'hamburger' roundabout being done.

I don't know if that will happen, or if it's a good idea as IMO you can't really say one road has greater priority over the other, they both seem equally busy to me.

It's the classic problem of two busy roads meeting each other at a poorly designed junction.

I don't know if that will happen, or if it's a good idea as IMO you can't really say one road has greater priority over the other, they both seem equally busy to me.

It's the classic problem of two busy roads meeting each other at a poorly designed junction.

A motorway grade junction is probably needed really. Cant imagine a hamburger junction working there. Not enough other roads leading off the roundabout.

I agree, the only real solution is a proper motorway junction and to be honest it should have been done ages ago as that route was originally intended to be the motorway to Manchester.

I doubt there's enough money in the pot to provide the correct junction tho, so they'll probably **** what money they do have up the wall and just make it worse with traffic lights or something.

Yes, I'd say that there was no particular "main" road

---------- Post added 23-03-2015 at 13:28 ----------

I've had a look on the Highways Agency website, but cannot find any details regarding what they intend to do. It seems odd as the sign next to the roundabout says work is to commence in "Spring 2015". So close to happening, but no details.

The nearest HA work I can find on their website is the smart motorway planned between junctions 32 and 35A, but nothing at the roundabout itself except the recently completed service diversions.

Cant imagine a hamburger junction working there

There's a burger joint right near that roundabout but yes, the burgers are very poor.

Thats what I reckon too, something to do with that nuclear missile site they say is owned by HSBC ;)

Since they have done these improvements and put traffic light on the roundabout I think the traffic is worse than before, especially on the A616 that leads from  junction 35A of the M1 up to the roundabout. I have seen the whole stretch of that road completely backed up with traffic several times.