How to tell if ADSL filter is broken?

2 days ago my connection dropped from 6mbps (i'm in s2), to 0.54mbps. It has been fluctuating slightly since but it's very rarely over 1mbps. I've contacted my isp and they say the line is fine (i don't believe this for one second. I've has issues for months now). They are willing to send an engineer out but it's going to cost me nearly £100 if he finds a problem my end. I have replaced all the cables but i am wondering if there is a way i can check my adsl filter. I only have the two of them and swapping them out does nothing.

Not being nosy here, but who is your ISP?

Also, how computer literate are you? Just asking so I can see if I can make any suggestions.

Plug the router into the test socket behind the faceplate on the master socket.

Try using one filter then the other using only the cable that came with the router. ( no adapters or extensions )

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

It's possible but unlikely that both filters have failed.

Most supermarkets will probably sell them for a few quid.

If there's no increase in speed, you've isolated your home wiring by using the test socket so any fault is external and you won't get charged.

Good idea scimsfan - it's that early in the morning, I never thought of that.:)

0742Sheff from your initial post, it Sounds like an external fault, but if you can eliminate your internal setup/wiring then they can't charge you.

If you are on a BT phoneline, try dialing 17070, select option 2 and check for any noise - this is best done using a corded phone if possible.

Do the phone test while connected to the test socket if possible.

Edited by RollingJ

2 days ago my connection dropped from 6mbps (i'm in s2), to 0.54mbps. It has been fluctuating slightly since but it's very rarely over 1mbps. I've contacted my isp and they say the line is fine (i don't believe this for one second. I've has issues for months now). They are willing to send an engineer out but it's going to cost me nearly £100 if he finds a problem my end. I have replaced all the cables but i am wondering if there is a way i can check my adsl filter. I only have the two of them and swapping them out does nothing.

That happened to me several times also in S2 area and was to do with Plusnet.

Got fed up with their excuses and change ISP and now all is working fine.

Not being nosy here, but who is your ISP?

Also, how computer literate are you? Just asking so I can see if I can make any suggestions.

AOL (Talk Talk). They aren't much use i'm afraid. I had to explain to tech support that they actually have their own website to see my speed tests. I'm really computer literate.

Plug the router into the test socket behind the faceplate on the master socket.

Try using one filter then the other using only the cable that came with the router. ( no adapters or extensions )

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/view-master.html

It's possible but unlikely that both filters have failed.

Most supermarkets will probably sell them for a few quid.

If there's no increase in speed, you've isolated your home wiring by using the test socket so any fault is external and you won't get charged.

It's been plugged directly into the test socket for about a year now since i figured out it runs a tad quicker that way. I've swapped out both filters several times and also changed the cables for brand new ones. I didn't realise this ruled out all of the internal wiring. Nice to know!

Good idea scimsfan - it's that early in the morning, I never thought of that.:)

0742Sheff from your initial post, it Sounds like an external fault, but if you can eliminate your internal setup/wiring then they can't charge you.

If you are on a BT phoneline, try dialing 17070, select option 2 and check for any noise - this is best done using a corded phone if possible.

Do the phone test while connected to the test socket if possible.

I am now thinking is is external. It was still borked all morning then mid afternoon it shot back up to it's normal speed until about 2 hours ago when it broke again.

That happened to me several times also in S2 area and was to do with Plusnet.

Got fed up with their excuses and change ISP and now all is working fine.

I've contacted Sky and they seem to think they can't get any more speed out of my line but i'm still thinking about switching just for the fact my bill has doubled for absolutely no reason.

Thanks for the replies folks. Much appreciated

I have an engineer coming out on Thursday. The only problem is he isn't an engineer at all. He can only sort issues with hardware (which i have already ruled out myself). In which case it becomes a line fault (like i've been telling them since December), and it will need to be escalated (passed on to openreach no doubt).

All this is exactly what i told them in December and they did nothing. The moment it's fixed i am jumping ship.

Would i be right in thinking a router is either working or it's not working? The guy tried tying me down to a new contract by saying he'd send me a new router because my 12 year old one was degrading... Very dodgy if you ask me.

Would i be right in thinking a router is either working or it's not working? The guy tried tying me down to a new contract by saying he'd send me a new router because my 12 year old one was degrading... Very dodgy if you ask me.

Total rubbish. They will be desperate to stop you from leaving and will try any trick.

I would keep details of any emails/written information and cancel any standing orders when they have your final payment as they might try to continue billing you. ( not unknown with TalkTalk )

A few weeks ago we had a lot of problems with pages not loading. If we kept trying, the page would eventually load. The next page might load straight away.

I called Plusnet to check the line, who got back to me saying that the line from their end was OK. I was also told that if they sent an engineer and it turned out to be an internal fault I would be charged £100.

When I looked at the router logs, I saw that it kept disconnecting & reconnecting, so I borrowed a router & put in my connection details and everything was OK. So I went straight out & bought a new router (better than the original).

My router was about 4 years old, so yes your router can can degrade and cause intermittent problems.

My previous router had one ethernet port fail, then another a few weeks later, which also demonstrates to me that they don't necessarily fail completely in one go.

Total rubbish.

Really? You've never heard of dry joints or components weakening through overheating etc?