Is Meadowhall car park private land ?

Hi

I parked a car in meadowhall's car park for a short while (dropped the wife off on route to putting the car in storage). The car was being driven with trade plates which had fallen into the passenger footwell, when I returned the car had been clamped. I rang the number and explained I was a trader and the plates were in the footwell. The guy checked the photos and said he could see a number plate but it had landed upside down and has the ticket had been issued he couldn't do anything about it ! I managed to get a lift to the compound near Macro within 1/2 hour, showed the guy the trade plates and paid the £100. When I returned to the vehicle the clamper was there, when i showed him the plates, he apologised saying he didn't see them. This was on 18/02/15. Last week I got a letter from DVLA demanding another £98 or court action for having an untaxed vehicle ! I have written to DVLA explaining what happen and that I had a witness who would confirm the trade plates were in the car, today they have replied saying that 'the vehicle was parked, may I explain that it's an offence to keep a vehicle on a road when not in use on trade plates'. Surely you are allowed to stop whilst using trade plates and is the offence enforceable on a car park ?

:confused: Its private land as far as i knew. I cant see how you could have been clamped.

Meadowhall parking staff no longer clamp as it is illegal, but i hear the DVLA drive round in their vans and clamp cars

Sorry but you only have yourself to blame for not showing the trade plates

It is private land but DVLA can patrol the areas - this link explains it http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/article/26528/Untaxed-Vehicles

This information is for Nottingham as it is the first link I found but it also refers to DVLA

Oh my word. Cant people give it a rest? The guy made a mistake and its cost him a chunk of money but then im sure you never ever make a mistake. Ever:rolleyes:

Sorry but you only have yourself to blame for not showing the trade plates

Yes the plates weren't on show, but the DVLA are saying it's an offence to park using trade plates !

What if I take the car for an mot and the garage park it outside?, what if it breaks down ? I understand that they are for 'motor trade use only' but if I take the car for parts and stop to go in the shop, I'm parked ?

...What if I take the car for an mot and the garage park it outside?, what if it breaks down ? I understand that they are for 'motor trade use only' but if I take the car for parts and stop to go in the shop, I'm parked ?

What if...

...but none of those are what you did...

...you went shopping at Meadowhall, on trade plates.

Bruce has a point, you weren't just dropping off, you stopped and parked. It might be that loads of dodgy people dump cars there thinking they are safe. Your dropping off argument doesn't really hold water if you were nowhere near the car.

What if...

...but none of those are what you did...

...you went shopping at Meadowhall, on trade plates.

Agreed....

Hi

I parked a car in meadowhall's car park for a short while (dropped the wife off on route to putting the car in storage). The car was being driven with trade plates which had fallen into the passenger footwell, when I returned the car had been clamped. I rang the number and explained I was a trader and the plates were in the footwell. The guy checked the photos and said he could see a number plate but it had landed upside down and has the ticket had been issued he couldn't do anything about it ! I managed to get a lift to the compound near Macro within 1/2 hour, showed the guy the trade plates and paid the £100. When I returned to the vehicle the clamper was there, when i showed him the plates, he apologised saying he didn't see them. This was on 18/02/15. Last week I got a letter from DVLA demanding another £98 or court action for having an untaxed vehicle ! I have written to DVLA explaining what happen and that I had a witness who would confirm the trade plates were in the car, today they have replied saying that 'the vehicle was parked, may I explain that it's an offence to keep a vehicle on a road when not in use on trade plates'. Surely you are allowed to stop whilst using trade plates and is the offence enforceable on a car park ?

Clamped...

Seems very unlikely given that it's illegal for anyone but the DVLA to clamp nowadays. And if it was the DVLA then it says so clearly.

Clamped...

Seems very unlikely given that it's illegal for anyone but the DVLA to clamp nowadays. And if it was the DVLA then it says so clearly.

It was the DVLA that clamped the car.

I've seen them patrolling Meadowhall car park on three occasions and on another day saw a car clamped by DVLA right outside the Debenhams entrance which would have been a good advert as anyone leaving by that entrance would have seen the clamped car

If meadowhall is private land and I would guess it is, it is no business of the DVLA what goes on there. Yes the guy was abusing the use of trade plates, but it should be for them to catch him on public roads.