How do you combat loneliness?

I'm soon to be living alone but being alone scares me, how do you or others combat this?

It is scary to begin with, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. I can choose to be in company but most of the time I choose to be alone. Silence is a precious commodity in this busy and noisy world.

I'm soon to be living alone but being alone scares me' date=' how do you or others combat this?[/quote']

Why does it scare you, if you don't mind me asking? :)

I think it's the boredom issue, once I've done everything I've got to do il be looking at 4 walls.

It's the first time since I was 23ish so nearly 20yrs

If at all possible try and keep an active social life during the hours of the day when you think you might be most susceptible to feeling lonely; friends, volunteering, adult learning courses or even getting into arguments on internet forums with other people :)

I think it's the boredom issue, once I've done everything I've got to do il be looking at 4 walls.

It's the first time since I was 23ish so nearly 20yrs

Oh my lordy lord! Lucky you! I wish I was bored....there ain't enough time int day for all the things I'd like to get done!! :hihi:

Get outside, go for a walk!

Go to the cinema!

Read a book!

Campaign for a cause!

Volunteer for summat you care about!

Have a hot bath!

Help a friend!

Go to the sauna!

Phone a friend!

Visit a friend!

Go to the Sculpture park!

Go on holiday!

Watch a film on Netflix!

Surf the web!

Basically - there ain't no such word as bored. Really there isn't :)

Get yourself a boy friend.

And it's easy to say but harder to do, il be at work all day but when I get home is when I start to go over what has happened in the old releationship, il remember the good things and the bad things won't seem so bad, then il get upset, miss the ex and the whole circle starts again and I don't want to keep doing that

And it's easy to say but harder to do' date=' il be at work all day but when I get home is when I start to go over what has happened in the old releationship, il remember the good things and the bad things won't seem so bad, then il get upset, miss the ex and the whole circle starts again and I don't want to keep doing that[/quote']

Cope with being alone or gamble on the chance of a happy relationship, I would never advise anyone to give up the dream.

And it's easy to say but harder to do' date=' il be at work all day but when I get home is when I start to go over what has happened in the old releationship, il remember the good things and the bad things won't seem so bad, then il get upset, miss the ex and the whole circle starts again and I don't want to keep doing that[/quote']

I see :(............

Hi there J's Mum, Let me first start by saying, being alone is simply a state of mind. Not that your fears are simple but it seems from what you have said, you have time to explore other activities.

There are so many groups and volunteer organizations that would welcome you and will expand your the circles you move around in.

Try looking for things that interest YOU. For example an allotment would be a good place to start if you have time on your hands. You can find that there is a great comradeship between plot holders.

Maybe look at some of the dreams you had an reinvent them.

It's not an easy question to answer and I'm sure that when you come out the other side you will be wiser and more confident

My heart is with you and all my best wishes

x