Should voting be restricted to people that work and pay taxes?

How would a party cut benefits when voters will vote for the other party. Is that why we have so much debt, because the politicians dare not tell the electorate what they are going to do?

Are you defining the foundations of voting theory by how much money you have or have not? Or what I get as a return for my financial investment?

Should your dream become true how would you apply it..and to who exactly?

Are you defining the foundations of voting theory by how much money you have or have not? Or what I get as a return for my financial investment?

I don't think the OP mentioned an amount of money,just that people were working..

I know!

I thought buying ones votes and restricting voting to those who can pay to vote was dealt with unequivocally when universal suffrage came in?

I mean, we *could* go back to the days of the "Rotten Boroughs" .....

I dont have a dream, the possibility of voting at 16 got me thinking about who should be allowed to vote.

Even people with learning difficulties get the vote, so why not 16 year olds. If a right to vote is not limited by the lack of education, should it be limited by lack of role in a good society.

So council workers, nurses, teachers, our armed forces shouldnt be able to vote either?

You might struggle getting that through.

What? Where? How? Who? When did I say that? WTF ??????

---------- Post added 19-03-2015 at 21:40 ----------

So you don't think pensioners should get a vote?

What? Where? How? Who? When did I say that? WTF ??????

No! I also think that prisoner should vote too.

Now I Know your just waiting to jump on this, but here me out.

Just say the government bring out a new act and decides to send all unemployed to the gas chamber. Now... ...Your working what would this mean to you? nothing. Why would it?

Now how do Pensioners, Disabled, Mentally handicapped, Your Son, Daughter, Grandchildren who as things are going will never have a job, stop this?

You couldn't because we would be living in Nazi Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who are you to say that someone, anyone, should not be listened too.

as far a prisoners are concerned may be the time they serve is based on an act, A rule of government (NOT A LAW) something that can change with the consent of the governed.

If the individual incarcerated was able to vote, he may be able to change the act that incarcerated him so that it could not happen to others.

I will give an example, The suicide act 1961 decriminalized the act of suicide for which you could receive a sentence equivalent to homicide/murder.

A stupid law made by unintelligent ill-informed bunch of pricks brought this in. of course now we all know now that compassion and understanding can give these people i good productive life.

Unfortunately at the time these individuals knew that imprisoning them would not help and just instilled misery.

If they could have voted they would have VALUE not just to them selves but for future generations to come.

No! I also think that prisoner should vote too.

Now I Know your just waiting to jump on this, but here me out.

Just say the government bring out a new act and decides to send all unemployed to the gas chamber. Now... ...Your working what would this mean to you? nothing. Why would it?

Now how do Pensioners, Disabled, Mentally handicapped, Your Son, Daughter, Grandchildren who as things are going will never have a job, stop this?

You couldn't because we would be living in Nazi Germany!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who are you to say that someone, anyone, should not be listened too.

as far a prisoners are concerned may be the time they serve is based on an act, A rule of government (NOT A LAW) something that can change with the consent of the governed.

If the individual incarcerated was able to vote, he may be able to change the act that incarcerated him so that it could not happen to others.

I will give an example, The suicide act 1961 decriminalized the act of suicide for which you could receive a sentence equivalent to homicide/murder.

A stupid law made by unintelligent ill-informed bunch of pricks brought this in. of course now we all know now that compassion and understanding can give these people i good productive life.

Unfortunately at the time these individuals knew that imprisoning them would not help and just instilled misery.

If they could have voted they would have VALUE not just to them selves but for future generations to come.

Yeah you could also have paedophiles voting to lower the age of consent to 10 as well...or would it just be certain prisoners?

What about the ability to sell your vote? Then the feckless could sell their vote to buy booze and fags.

Yeah you could also have paedophiles voting to lower the age of consent to 10 as well...or would it just be certain prisoners?

That's the problem with democracy...

if the majority of people voted to lower the age of consent to 10, would it be right?

Benevolent dictatorship is the way forward. that's how I run my businesses and any committee or board that I chair

pedophilia is a crime not an act. please read my post ya numpty :hihi:

pedophilia is a crime not an act. please read my post ya numpty :hihi:

So are you saying only certain prisoners could vote?

So are you saying only certain prisoners could vote?

No I'm saying that all prisoners should vote. Prisoners have family and kids too.

Besides most of the pedophiles are out of prison. you know the people that work in respectable jobs and VOTE. Politicians, Council workers, Social workers, schools, you know, all the good working people oh and did i mention the BBC The South Yorkshire police and the Met see to that for you and you pay for it in your council Tax and licenses. You know, all the good working people