Accident Brook Hill Roundabout 18/03/15

Are footbridges the solution?

original plan for the Information Commons included a bridge to link to the Jessops West complex but that was shelved.

if a 10mph speed limit with cameras were imposed, then traffic would be able to glide on and off the roundabout utilising the gaps in the traffic.

A genius idea, sir, and much more achievable than those involving heavy engineering works.

Instead of cameras, use raised block paving and speed bumps to calm the area by the tram stops and the roundabout. Remove the white lines and traffic lights so drivers are forced to be pay heed to what is around them rather than having a notion of "right of way". Replace pelican crossings with zebra crossings.

A genius idea, sir, and much more achievable than those involving heavy engineering works.

Instead of cameras, use raised block paving and speed bumps to calm the area by the tram stops and the roundabout. Remove the white lines and traffic lights so drivers are forced to be pay heed to what is around them rather than having a notion of "right of way". Replace pelican crossings with zebra crossings.

No to speed humps. My car would be ruined. Its bad enough with speed humps on urban roads add to that the general poor state of most of Sheffields roads my car (whilst i still have it) already takes a pasting. Speed humps arent the answer as they would only really affect cars and not buses, vans, lorrys, bikes, cycles.

No to speed humps.

Fair point. Perhaps just a ramp up to the block paved section would suffice.

it always raises a smile when motorists make comments about the laziness of pedestrians :hihi:

Fair point. Perhaps just a ramp up to the block paved section would suffice.

That could work but then im no road planner so im speaking from ignorance. Actually that sounds a bit like some of Sheffield road planners judging by the hash they make of things. lol

Are footbridges the solution?

Bad for disabled people.

You have to keep foot traffic at ground level and drop or raise the motor traffic.

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 01:15 ----------

A terrible idea, except at peak times. At the rest of the time, about 16 hrs a day, entering and exiting particularly at 30mph is entirely reasonable.

Totally agree that the crossings should be moved away from the round-a-bout exits. Everytime I have to stop there, I am checking the rear view mirror waiting for a bump.

Also, why do they need 3 crossings a few walking steps from eachother at the top of Hanover Way? One crossing leading to the tram stop would be fine. It's like dodgems up there.

I've always thought a footbridge would be better, even if it has to made out of old pallets being as the council is broke. But I hadn't considered the problem for disabled.

Just seen a copy of the TROs for the work around Brook hill. Its planned to relocate the current crossing further up Western Bank and there will be a completely new crossing just up the hill approximately where John's van is .

Changes to various roads to allow access to the new public / university car park on Durham Rd for the childrens' hospital

The crossings will be across both carriageways so no waiting in central refuge.

Crossings 100 yards from the roundabout?

Given that it's not possible on Netherthorpe Road, getting from the right hand side of Broad Lane to the flats at the bottom of Bolsover Street, would be 600 yards in total (3 roads, 2 x 100 yards back and forth to the crossings)

So, over 1/3 of a mile just to cross a junction? Or nearly half a mile to go all the way around

If I suggested making to roundabout nearly half a mile round, that would be "ridiculous"

Why should it be okay for pedestrians?

A few metres would be sensible, but only because 1 car + one bus waiting at Broad Street means the crossing is blocked

The foot and motor traffic could do with being entirely separated, and due to disabled access bridges aren't acceptable... Which leaves under-passes really, either for the cars, or for the pedestrians.

The problem would be that it would cost an absolute fortune.