Wifi on mobile phone

I have a pay as you go sim and only top up when its running short of cash.

What I would like to know is does leaving my wifi switched on cost me money?

I only look on the internet when I'm at home using my own internet connection.

Sorry if it seems a daft question not that clued up with this technical stuff.

Thanks for any info.

alan p.

No, using your home wifi is 'free'.

As is other stuff like the wifi you get at McDonalds, Starbucks and other places.

Some Wifi charges, like at certain hotels - but you've actually got to put your credit card details in before you can use it - so don't worry about it.

No,

wifi is always free. It is basically like having a computer or phone plugged into your internet router at home with a cable.

But Wi-Fi is just the same connection as if it was plugged in, but done over a wireless connection.

In addition you can sign up to "the cloud" and get free wifi access in many pubs and restaurants. There is another one called Sky Wifi. And another one for O2 customers.

These extra services just put a little profile on your smartphone with a username which is made up by you. And it just connects automatically to free wifi services when you are out and about.

If you just switch your phone's 3G off you will never pay a penny for data through your sim. The wifi will connect when there is a Wireless Access point available, like in your house / work / pub / shops etc for free..

Thankyou both for the information given. I don't know what I would do without this forum and the helpful people on it. Its very much appreciated alan p.

I have a pay as you go sim and only top up when its running short of cash.

What I would like to know is does leaving my wifi switched on cost me money?

I only look on the internet when I'm at home using my own internet connection.

Sorry if it seems a daft question not that clued up with this technical stuff.

Thanks for any info.

alan p.

The other posters are correct. However, it's worth noting that certain applications on your phone may use the internet in the background when you're out and about - this could result in data being "consumed" via your mobile connection.

You can leave the wifi switched on and it won't cost you anything. Just make sure that the mobile data is switched off or that could cost you.

Save battery life by switching it WiFi off

We have a PAYG sim card and last year we put it into an iPhone. We didn't know to switch off the cell phone wifi and it did consume data - quite a lot of it in fact. We were not using it for the Internet but got through £20 quite quickly. Once it was switched off and connected only to the home router all was back to normal.

Thank you all for the help you have given. Like I said in earlier post I wouldn't know what I would do without this forum. alan p.