Accident Barnsley rd/Herries road traffic lights. 16/03/2015

On Monday 16th March approaching Barnsley rd/Herries rd. traffic lights from Lane top saw an ambulance come out of the Northern General lights and siren on. Nothing unusual about that but it pulled up at the traffic lights and reversed up Barnsley rd towards Pitsmoor on the wrong side of the road and stopped just after the junction. As I drove past I saw a taxi had gone up the wrong side of the island and collided with a car head on. This has been coming for a long time as the amount of cars that jump the straight ahead queue and shoot down the right turn only lane then cut in at the last minute is on the increase. I use this junction most days and I see it nearly every time. I just hope the people involved were ok and the taxi driver will be rightly prosecuted. I doubt though it will stop people doing this.

Edited by kirbydog

On Monday 16th March approaching Barnsley rd/Herries rd. traffic lights from Lane top saw an ambulance come out of the Northern General lights and siren on. Nothing unusual about that but it pulled up at the traffic lights and reversed up Barnsley rd towards Pitsmoor on the wrong side of the road and stopped just after the junction. As I drove past I saw a taxi had gone up the wrong side of the island and collided with a car head on. This has been coming for a long time as the amount of cars that jump the straight ahead queue and shoot down the right turn only lane then cut in at the last minute is on the increase. I use this junction most days and I see it nearly every time. I just hope the people involved were ok and the taxi driver will be rightly prosecuted. I doubt though it will stop people doing this.

I also use this junction every day and I agree entirely with the increase in moronic behaviour because people are so self entitled that they don't need to wait the additional two minutes it would take to wait patiently in the correct lane alongside almost every other normal driver. They'd rather nearly cause accidents because they are too impatient to sit in traffic.

Incidentally, I've seen two near misses here - both of them taxi drivers who decided to drive the wrong side of the traffic island to then boot their cars downhill and cut in after the traffic (one when the light was on red).

It really makes my blood boil!

Have you reported yourself to the police as a eye witness?

I too regularly use this junction and queue in the left hand lane to go straight on at the lights.

Twice I have almost been run off the road by vehicles flying down the right hand lane meant for traffic turning right onto Herries Road but being driven by idiots who want to proceed straight on and feel they are far too important to join the queue in the left hand lane.

To be fair, the road marking are very worn and those not using this junction regularly may possibly be excused but on both occasions the offending vehicle was a taxi - the drivers of which should know that junction very well.

The markings aren't that worn, and there are two sets - the first being where the road initially splits so there is plenty of warning.

but when you consider the way people drive on that junction, it's pretty obvious they know full well they are in the wrong lane and are hell bent on forcing their way through traffic.

I can't see better signs or markings having much effect, the problems are caused by dangerous and illegal driving there.

I see it happen loads at the bottom of the road as well, at the Page Hall junction. Cars cant be arsed joining the left hand land (left turn and straight on) and so zoom up the right hand lane (right turn only) and end up going straight on.

Taxi drivers again and their horrendous driving. When will the police and the council clamp down on them?

The taxi driver wasn't a Sheffield one. It was 1 from another city. And for that reason I think he or she didn't know the roads and went up the wrong road.

You mean he went belting down the road at such a speed he was unable to stop, and smashed head-on into oncomming traffic??

Sorry, but I thought it was advisable to take extra care and pay attention when driving in an unfamiliar location??

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/business-economy/licensing/general-licensing/contact-the-licensing-section.html

I would encourage anyone who sees bad driving by a Sheffield registered taxi to take down their registration and taxi plate number and report them to the licensing department at SCC - click on the above link.

Until more people do Sheffield taxi drivers will be allowed to get away with a poor standard of driving and risk harm to others on the road.

Ps., if it's a City Car don't waste your time ringing them to complain - their lack of concern is appalling.

There are some very "I am more important than you" drivers around at the moment. Last week I was waiting at the lights at the Penistone Rd Leppings Lane junction, I was waiting patiently at the front of the queue to turn right on to Leppings Lane. There was a large queue of traffic behind me. A chap in a BMW came down Halifax Rd in the middle lane (for traffic going straight onto Penistone Rd)went through the lights (which were green for the other two lanes)and pulled in front of me. Why did he think he did't need to wait in the queue. I have several times been waiting at red lights at Minna Rd in Burngreave and been overtaken by someone running the red light. It happens so often now that it's not unusual.

Have you reported yourself to the police as a eye witness?

Awwww how cute :rolleyes: