Fly Spray.. advice wanted please.

Maybe not widely available as a spray as such, but a radio isotope such as technetium-99 (widely available from British Nuclear Fuel branches) is pretty good at dealing with fleas and suchlike ... I find a high dosage most efficacious.

For more stubborn airborne pests (plus cats, dogs, horses, fish, plant-life etc) you can't beat good old uranium-235. Unlike the predominant uranium-238 isotope, it has the added bonus of being fissile, so after the initial 'squirt' pretty much all living things (including flies) within a fifty or sixty mile radius are rendered fairly dead (it's best to stand well back whilst using this, I find).

If you do use this, dispose of it responsibly after use ... only the black wheelie bin please.

Can you get it from B&Q.

When I had a rather sudden invasion of bluebottles late last summer in the downstairs of my house I bought a can of Raid fly and wasp killer and just followed the instructions on the can.

I sprayed it in the morning before work and came home to about a dozen dead flies on the floor and windowsill. Sprayed again before bed, and about half a dozen the next morning.

Kept this up for two days and the flies disappeared as quickly as they'd appeared. The one and only time I've ever had a fly problem. I bleached the kitchen waste bin, but other than that - no idea where they came from! My kitchen is always cleaned/no food left out etc

The spray seems to keep working throughout the day, so I made sure I kept the downstairs doors closed and was out at work or not using the rooms after I'd sprayed it.

It did the job, though.

If you do use this, dispose of it responsibly after use ... only the black wheelie bin please.

Have you got any suggestions for a decent black bin? I tried this but when I stuck the fallout waste in th bin it melted and went runny all over the place.

In fact it's very hard to actually keep this stuff in one place - if you put it together igets hotter. Also I'm growing strange protuberances all over me and I glow at night which is a bit of pain when trying to get some kip.

Any suggestions?

Guest sibon

Hang some fly papers and buy a can of Raid. Spray the flies as directly as possible.

They will soon go.

What Watchcoll said!

couple of sprays over a couple of days and never had a return invasion!

One of the big ones sounded/Came down like a Messerschmitt that had taken a direct hit to the engine!

Very satisfying :)

Have you got any suggestions for a decent black bin? I tried this but when I stuck the fallout waste in th bin it melted and went runny all over the place.

In fact it's very hard to actually keep this stuff in one place - if you put it together igets hotter. Also I'm growing strange protuberances all over me and I glow at night which is a bit of pain when trying to get some kip.

Any suggestions?

Je suis radioactive. ;)

Edited by Alcoblog

Look no further mon ami, your quest is at an end, I have for hire 16,000 magnetic mobile spiders webs that you can affix to any or every corner of the affected premises and voila ...fly destruction on a scale only ever before dreamed off.

Each web comes complete with two automated lifelike looking spiders ... the reasoning behind this is so that one spider creeps up behind the trapped fly and grabs it while the other spider kicks the fly in its conkers, two or three episodes of this will ensure that the said flies soon get fed up and go and torment next door instead.

Perfect even for the most discerning NIMBY. and sure to please the green party.

You will need transport as each of these sturdy fly infestation solutions weighs in at a smidgin under 13 Cwt. none of your third world flimsy tat.

I think these are as effective as sprays mate , and more humane

Thanks but humane and flies sorry I can't see the connection.

Maybe not widely available as a spray as such, but a radio isotope such as technetium-99 ....

:-)

Look no further mon ami, your quest is at an end, I have for hire 16,000 magnetic mobile spiders webs that you can affix ...

:-)

I let rip with raid and locked up the house for two days.

On return fly problem eliminated opened all windows and thoroughly cleaned kitchen surfaces.

BTW Vegas1

You say you confused as to how you think a dog, cat or rabbit living next door would create flies in your own home.

Sorry, I do not believe you. But it is very simple. They ****, and like many pet owners in this country their's do not look after them or clean up after them properly.

Shouldn't you share the good news and change your name to "Fly Free Tommo68"?

BTW Vegas1

You say you confused as to how you think a dog, cat or rabbit living next door would create flies in your own home.

Sorry, I do not believe you. But it is very simple. They ****, and like many pet owners in this country their's do not look after them or clean up after them properly.

So a cat crapping in a garden next door generates flies in your house?

Nope, can't see it myself.

A couple of years ago a rat had got in to the wall cavity amongst the insulation material and died there. The smell was horrendous. I had to sleep with the window open and it got so bad that I had to drag my bed in to the next room.

Then the flies started-hundreds of them, no exaggeration. I would get up in a morning and there they all were around the window. They are a bit dormant (docile) while the room is cold, and can be vacuumed up easily with the pipe. Of course, when the heating goes on they were going around the room like spitfires. In the evening they were attracted to the glow of the computer screen.

I was going to buy one of these devices, but after two weeks the problem had abated.

http://www.vermatik.com/Products/398-30W-Fly-Zapper.html