What do i need to adjust my pictures

Guys, being a novice and only just got my camera, what do i need to alter my pictures? i have software that came with my Nikon, but it seems very limited. What do i need to really adjust them other than rotate and crop?

Thanks

Hi I use photoshop elements 13, I bought it for £40 on Amazon as a download, other people may recommend Lightroom but I have no experience with that my self. Photoshop has all the easy fixes and effects as well as more professional editing tools, so can be a good starting point.

Also gimp which is a free photo editor which I believe is similar to Photoshop but free, more experienced people may be able to help more but those were the ones that sprang to mind.

hiya,

so part of it will depend on budget. there are free tools out there (as blinker mentioned) but also paid tools. Can't really comment on a lot of them and they do seem to be more individual tastes but I have used a bit of the editor in flickr before (not sure what that is based on), iPhoto, Aperture and Lightroom. iPhoto wasn't great for me, I used Aperture for ages but then Apple announced they are pulling it. So I have swapped to Lightroom - and have to say am loving it! Doing much more and doing it easier than I ever managed with Aperture!!

Adobe now do the 'Creative Cloud' and have a 'photography' package that has Lightroom and Photoshop for £8.57/month. This includes all updates, new releases/upgrades, able to install Lightroom on different devices (mobile as well as pc/laptop) and sharing files between the devices.

got to say, loving it, find it easy and also there are loads of tutorials on youtube for Lightroom so always loads of help and tuition out there.

GIMP does pretty much everything Photoshop does but is a bit weird to use. Gimpshop is a version that's been configured to be more like PS, though not tried it for a few years:

http://www.gimpshop.com/

Oh, I forgot, have you tried Windows free photo editor (Live photo gallery)? I sniffed at it at first but it's actually ok for all the basic level adjustments, sharpening, has a fairly clever retouch tool...depends how much you want to do really.

Edited by Spacebadger

If you don't have any experience or familiarity with any particular editor, why not download Gimpshop and give it a try. it is fully featured and you're going to have to learn one or another it might as well be a free one.

If you don't have any experience or familiarity with any particular editor, why not download Gimpshop and give it a try. it is fully featured and you're going to have to learn one or another it might as well be a free one.

Thanks Guys, and Waldershelf....

Yeah, i will try Gimp first, no point throwing money away while i am still learning, i can get something better when i have learnt the trade a bit..

Cheers all

Lightroom for me, It's like magic.

and you can get a 30 day free trial of lightroom as well :)