Pebley Reservoir - Bream & Tench

Dear all,

New to the forum and new to the sheffield area so this is my first post.

Just been to look around Pebley Reservoir and was wondering what the water is like form bream and tench fishing, cant seem to find much information on the internet. Was wondering if any of you guys had fished it in the past and what its like.

Cheers

In the early 90s I used to fish there quite a lot chasing Tench, I only fished in tree swims on the road side. Quite snaggy but worth the effort, it was a day ticket then.

If it still is I don't know but imagine it still is. Best fish I had was a 6 lb Tench I was told they went to 8 lb but I never saw one. I fished with popped up lob worms "injected with air" or bread flake both on a six hook. Also heard of the bream shoals but they didn't interest me.

Best to ask those fishing for up to date info.

Cheers for the info, much appreciate! If there used to be tench in the 90's im sure they are still there now.

In what sort of depth of water were you fishing? I'm guessing you were fishing in the warmer months?

About 4 ft yes warmer months in the afternoon I used to fish with a small bomb with the bait popped about 8", it was snaggy as I said mostly branches from the trees.

I went for a look around a couple of years ago. The Killamarsh shop had gone (?) so I met the bailif at the water. He was an extremely nice chap (called Norman?)

It was members only at that time but not expensive to join.

I remember him making a remark along the line of there being huge bream, and he hoped someone would go after them... I found a trip report on line that went as far as to suggest a record breaker could be in there (so I'll repeat that iffy claim and make it a solid internet fact :hihi: )

One problem highlighted by the bailif was that it is a holding reservoir and the water level isnt in the clubs control.

I was a bit put off by some other aspects of the place, but would encourage anyone to have a look.

Edited by Rope_Access

I went for a look around a couple of years ago. The Killamarsh shop had gone (?) so I met the bailif at the water. He was an extremely nice chap (called Norman?)

It was members only at that time but not expensive to join.

I remember him making a remark along the line of there being huge bream, and he hoped someone would go after them... I found a trip report on line that went as far as to suggest a record breaker could be in there (so I'll repeat that iffy claim and make it a solid internet fact :hihi: )

One problem highlighted by the bailif was that it is a holding reservoir and the water level isnt in the clubs control.

I was a bit put off by some other aspects of the place, but would encourage anyone to have a look.

Take what he says (not you, the balif) with a bucket of salt. I've fished there a few times and blanked. It's a very hard water, but I did see a tench of about 6lb come out.

If you're after tench I'd go to alderfen. I found the speci lake still quite hard but it was nice place to spend a day.

Take what he says (not you, the balif) with a bucket of salt. .... It's a very hard water.

Absolutely :thumbsup:

I used to fish pebley occasionally for tench in the weedy roadside bay

never caught one

I also used to fish it in winter for pike, round the deeper dam wall end

again, no luck at all

since then I've found many other venues that I find easier to fish

tinfoilhat, I agree Alderfen is a great venue for tench

fished there a bit some years ago, not for a few years now though

first time I went, I don't think it had been open long, I set up to fish the speci lake with method feeder, casting tight to one of the islands & sat there for about 4 hours biteless

I'd fed 6 big balls of groundbait at 7m when I first arrived, but never bothered to try it, but got that desperate I dropped the pole rig over it, double red maggot, and as I lowered the rig, the float just continued to sink - overshotted I thought! how wrong I was

as I likfted black hydro streaked out & I was in for 10 minutes of frantic battling with a very big lump of fish

as it came up towards the net I nearly keeled over, it was a huge tench

I weighed it & another angler witnessed & photo'd it for me as I had forgotten to take a camera, 7lb 12oz tench on the pole!!!

what a fish & what a memory

had a 2nd to the method later in the morning, I'd been casting tight to the island all that time, but as I started dropping short of the island I noticed I was getting taps, until eventually it went

this time (as I was more geared up for them) a short scrap ended in a 6lb tench

first visits to the water & 2 fish of a lifetime (they were to me anyway)

I've been back several times since, but always fished the superb match lake after that, loads of tench in there averaging 4lb with some bigger

I would love to go back & try again, but it's just one of those things I keep saying I'll do one day...

It was as you say dars hard water to fish, back then I had far more blanks than day's when I caught. Asking around recently I was told to take what the bailiff says with a pinch of salt.

I eventually got fed up and changed from Pebley to Woodsetts, there were far more Tench in Woodsetts but nowhere near as big the best I had from there was 4lb but I have had up to 11 fish in one afternoon session. Average though was two or three.