The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

So all those people out in Leeds getting hammered on a Friday night have driven into town and parked for free? Lolz.

So all those people out in Leeds getting hammered on a Friday night have driven into town and parked for free? Lolz.

Is it possible that not everyone needs to get hammered in order to have a drink? I think our Friday night was pretty typical of several million folk. A large group of folk met at a pub having driven there in several cars. We had a bite to eat and a few drinks a late night coffee and then went home.

Not in the city centre, but a nice suburban pub with a free car park.

Edited by postagestamp

Is it possible that not everyone needs to get hammered in order to have a drink?

On a friday or Saturday night in a major city centre? Behave. Most people will be over the legal drive limit.

On a friday or Saturday night in a major city centre? Behave. Most people will be over the legal drive limit.

What a strange world you inhabit. In the real world most cars have 5 seats. But you do make a very good case for avoiding the city centre as well as public transport.

Edited by postagestamp

Sheffield city centre cannot even support a mainstream store like Gap.

What a strange world you inhabit. In the real world most cars have 5 seats. But you do make a very good case for avoiding the city centre as well as public transport.

A strange world where people dont drive into the city so they can have a drink? Aye, it is utterly bonkers (!)

You proved nothing other than to yourself. Who takes the car when they want a drink? Judging by the car parks of pubs rather a lot of folk. I certainly do.

Well, me and most of the other posters seem to be convinced that there are plenty of nice places to eat and drink.

And you seem to have changed your argument to be one about the car.

You don't have to eat in multiple places to need to shift a car. You merely need to be shopping in various locations and eating and or drinking in another. Like popping down to the law courts then buying a jacket on the Moor. Then wondering where the hell you would get a decent pint and a rump steak.

So you're no longer claiming that there isn't anywhere nice to eat?

It's now that the restaurants aren't close enough to the shops?

Here's a very simple question. Would folk be more likely to drive from Totley to use Da Da Bar if they had to pay £6 to park or if parking was free?

I suspect that it would hardly influence their decision at all.

But to remind you, this was what you claimed.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 10:55 ----------

I'm stuggling to think where I might enjoy a meal and a few drinks anywhere near the city centre.

The struggle is over though, right.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 10:55 ----------

The only decent restaurants open when the shoppers have gone home.

And this little gem of course.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 10:56 ----------

Is it possible that not everyone needs to get hammered in order to have a drink? I think our Friday night was pretty typical of several million folk. A large group of folk met at a pub having driven there in several cars. We had a bite to eat and a few drinks a late night coffee and then went home.

Not in the city centre, but a nice suburban pub with a free car park.

Drink driving. Nice.

[quote=Cyclone;10937255

Drink driving. Nice.

I believe it is only a problem if the person driving the car has drunk a few. It is far prefereable to getting on the last bus home when most of the other passengers are leggless.

You still haven't come up with any solution to reversing the decline in the city centre. I never thought you would.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 11:31 ----------

Well, me and most of the other posters seem to be convinced that there are plenty of nice places to eat and drink.

And you seem to have changed your argument to be one about the car.

So you're no longer claiming that there isn't anywhere nice to eat?

It's now that the restaurants aren't close enough to the shops?

You shouldn't confuse a few folk who have a lot of time on their hands during the day with a concensus of opinion. The city centre is dead most evenings and in decline during daylight hours. The council's answer is to fill all the empty lots with student accomodation. That says it all.

I've not changed my mind about there being nowhere decent to eat and drink. Unlike you I am capable of making a point and moving on. It is just one of many factors that deter me from visiting the city centre.

Edited by postagestamp

Students who spend money in the City, how dare they!

I believe it is only a problem if the person driving the car has drunk a few. It is far prefereable to getting on the last bus home when most of the other passengers are leggless.

You still haven't come up with any solution to reversing the decline in the city centre. I never thought you would.

I don't agree that any decline is taking place, and I never claimed or tried to come up with a solution to this imaginary decline.

You shouldn't confuse a few folk who have a lot of time on their hands during the day with a concensus of opinion.

I assume you include yourself in this group of 'folk'.

The city centre is dead most evenings and in decline during daylight hours. The council's answer is to fill all the empty lots with student accomodation.

And how exactly are you attributing that to the council. The only power they have is to grant or deny planning applications, they don't invite them in the first place.

I've not changed my mind about there being nowhere decent to eat and drink.

A refusal to change an opinion in the face of overwhelming evidence of it being wrong... Not really much point in discussing it then is there. There's none so blind as those that will not see.

The city centre is dead most evenings

Could have fooled me, West Street and Division Street are usually busy Friday and Saturday even on a weekday evening many of the pubs are standing room only. There is no problem with Sheffield's pubs or nightlife, if anything it's thriving.

No it's not going to attract everybody and you're probably better off going to the local pub if you just want a pub meal on the evening, that's not exactly a revolutionary statement though is it?

Could have fooled me, West Street and Division Street are usually busy Friday and Saturday even on a weekday evening many of the pubs are standing room only. There is no problem with Sheffield's pubs or nightlife, if anything it's thriving.

No it's not going to attract everybody and you're probably better off going to the local pub if you just want a pub meal on the evening, that's not exactly a revolutionary statement though is it?

As someone said earlier. Ecclesall Road and London Road are booming EVERY night. The Moor is a ghost town every night. If the only attraction Sheffield has is a couple of roads full of drunken students it isn't going to attract in folk other than drunken students. If you want to see a lively city centre take a look at Liverpool and weep. That is how to revive a city. Having folk on a forum trying to deny Sheffield's centre is dying is like trying to claim our roads don't have pot holes.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 13:14 ----------

A refusal to change an opinion in the face of overwhelming evidence of it being wrong... Not really much point in discussing it then is there. There's none so blind as those that will not see.

Clearly no point in having a discussion with someone as blinkered as you clearly are.