The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Manpower services? Not been that for years. You can get jaipur in two or three places in town. Not that it matters to you as you have clearly not been into the city for a very long time. Why are you even contributing to this thread:

I was in the city centre last weekend for the Continental Market. But I don't go there too often because there is little temptation. The city centre is dying because increasing numbers of folk don't go there anymore. Perhaps the inquisitors would be better served by asking folk who don't go there any more than the sycophants who do.

---------- Post added 16-03-2015 at 23:44 ----------

I reckon he/she is referring to the monstrosity at the bottom of the Moor as Manpower Services.

There aren't any decent pubs/bars directly on that stretch.

That's about it.

I reckon he/she is referring to the monstrosity at the bottom of the Moor as Manpower Services.

There aren't any decent pubs/bars directly on that stretch.

Turn right - you have all of Division Street / West Street / Devonshire green to go at.

Cross over the carriageway - you are at the end of London Road and/or Ecclesall Road. Plenty of bars there.

Straight up - you are at the Moorhead and close to the bars/restaurants of Millenium Square and/or Barkers Pool.

Good grief. Some people want their lives handing to them on a plate. A short walk away is everything they want.

That monstrosity, in your opinion, was home to 7 different government departments and after a multi million pound refurbishment continues to serve as home to around 1000 employees for Sheffield City Council.

Perhaps they shouldn't have bothered eh? Maybe those DWP departments should have built themselves a nice new office block in Leeds or Manchester. After all its all the Building's fault that the moor is "blocked off" (....except for being able to walk around both sides of it) and of course its the Building's fault that the Moor's prestigious department stores closed down now.

If someone is not prepared to walk 500 yards to go and find somewhere to have a meal or drink then they need to sort themselves out. Maybe the city is not designed for them. How on earth do they cope when they are stuck at Argos end of Meadowhall and desperately want to get a pint from Coal or something.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I was in the city centre last weekend for the Continental Market. But I don't go there too often......

So the fact that you don't go into the city centre much makes you an expert on it.

The city centre was bouncing last night with St Patrick's celebrations and it'll be bouncing tonight.

Well if you were to walk from Man Power Services to the end of Fargate (around a mile) which of the pubs would you pop in for a pint of Jaipur and a rump steak.

I wouldn't, I go down one of the many side streets to a decent pub or restaurant.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 08:30 ----------

That's the main shopping stretch, I'd be interested to know how many cities have pubs on the main shopping stretch. If we're sticking religiously to that I'd head to Brown's at St Paul's but since we're all adults here the best pub grub in Sheffield city centre is at Rutland Arms on Brown Street and not far off the main stretch in fact it's perfectly placed for the bus or train station since you've been drinking.

Decent beer as well. There are plenty of options closer to Fargate though for reasonable food. Leopold square has multiple options of varying quality, the Peace gardens the same, both with options to get a drink nearby or in the same venue. The Wig and Pen isn't far away, there are sushi restaurants within walking distance, good independent Italian restaurants on Division and West Street.

Fargate is the last street I'd head to in order to find food or beer (coffee or a mobile phone contract on the other hand, they're well served).

So the fact that you don't go into the city centre much makes you an expert on it.

The city centre was bouncing last night with St Patrick's celebrations and it'll be bouncing tonight.

And on St Georges day no doubt.

. Perhaps the inquisitors would be better served by asking folk who don't go there any more than the sycophants who do.

Touche, name calling really put us in our place, your point has been completely vindicated.

Another idea would be to let shops open later until about 7 or 8, as a lot shut around 5, and they might get some people calling in after work.

I wouldn't, I go down one of the many side streets to a decent pub or restaurant.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 08:30 ----------

Decent beer as well. There are plenty of options closer to Fargate though for reasonable food. Leopold square has multiple options of varying quality, the Peace gardens the same, both with options to get a drink nearby or in the same venue. The Wig and Pen isn't far away, there are sushi restaurants within walking distance, good independent Italian restaurants on Division and West Street.

Fargate is the last street I'd head to in order to find food or beer (coffee or a mobile phone contract on the other hand, they're well served).

So what you are saying is that not only do you have to pay to park. It is also necessary to keep moving your car and paying again to take in the various options. I can do that out of town without the engineered traffic chaos or the parking charges. It isn't really an incentive to folks to use the city centre which continues into further decline.

Another idea would be to let shops open later until about 7 or 8, as a lot shut around 5, and they might get some people calling in after work.

Im sure the shops can stay open to whenever they want (outside of a Sunday)

The fact they choose not to tells you all you need to know.

---------- Post added 17-03-2015 at 01:17 ----------

So what you are saying is that not only do you have to pay to park. It is also necessary to keep moving your car and paying again to take in the various options..

And this is different to any other major city how?

And this is different to any other major city how?

And there was I thinking the idea was to reverse the decline in the city centre.

So what you are saying is that not only do you have to pay to park. It is also necessary to keep moving your car and paying again to take in the various options. I can do that out of town without the engineered traffic chaos or the parking charges. It isn't really an incentive to folks to use the city centre which continues into further decline.

No, I said none of those things.

You claimed that there was nowhere decent to eat or drink in the city centre. I think you've been proven comprehensively wrong.

You're now shifting the argument to be one about the car (who takes the car when they want a drink anyway).

Not that you'd be eating in multiple places anyway, so no, no need to keep moving the car at all, if you'd driven to the city centre to eat for some reason.

No, I said none of those things.

You claimed that there was nowhere decent to eat or drink in the city centre. I think you've been proven comprehensively wrong.

You're now shifting the argument to be one about the car (who takes the car when they want a drink anyway).

Not that you'd be eating in multiple places anyway, so no, no need to keep moving the car at all, if you'd driven to the city centre to eat for some reason.

You proved nothing other than to yourself. Who takes the car when they want a drink? Judging by the car parks of pubs rather a lot of folk. I certainly do.

You don't have to eat in multiple places to need to shift a car. You merely need to be shopping in various locations and eating and or drinking in another. Like popping down to the law courts then buying a jacket on the Moor. Then wondering where the hell you would get a decent pint and a rump steak.

Here's a very simple question. Would folk be more likely to drive from Totley to use Da Da Bar if they had to pay £6 to park or if parking was free?