The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

The empty buildings could be leased to local groups who do good work for the community. It could give them a rent free or reduced rent space to do their thing be it helping the homeless, animals, kids or anything possitive for the people in Sheffield. The added plus is that the buildings wont be empty and town wont look so dead.

Wise words ;-)

And what exactly do you think should be done then?

Meadowhall and Crystal Peaks are well established out of town shopping centres. People find them convenient and want to shop there. What exactly do you think the " captains of the city " can do about that?

They could have refused planning permission and insisted that any new retail must be in the City centre.

That seems to be what the plans are now.

But then a good plan twenty years ago that cost the rate payers millions soon becomes ,not fit for purpose when the latest kids on the block appear from the Architectural Dept up the road.

Kids with new toys at our expense.

Edited by cuttsie

They could have refused planning permission and insisted that any new retail must be in the City centre.

I seem to remember that the city tried that with the Next Home and Garden project and Mr Pickels insisted it be built out at MeadowHell.

I seem to remember that the city tried that with the Next Home and Garden project and Mr Pickels insisted it be built out at MeadowHell.

Was mr Pickles responsable for giving planning permission to a shopping mall that ruined the City centre ?

Was mr Pickles responsable for giving planning permission to a shopping mall that ruined the City centre ?

Instead if reinventing the wheel, take a look at this old thread, it was not the city that was in charge.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51724

"I've just been catching up with the City Lofts discussion during whhich Sheffield City Council was criticised for allowing Meadowhall to be built and then moaning about it's adverse effects on city centre trade. In fairness it should be pointed out that Meadowhall was devised and planned by the Sheffield Development Corporation [sDC], a Thatcherite creation given carte blanche to do what it wanted with the Lower Don Valley. There were a couple of local councillors on the SDCBoard but they were overwhelmed by the (mainly) men in suits. The Council at the time did in fact point out that Meadowhall would not be good news for the city centre retail trade but had absolutely no powers to stop it from happening."

As mentioned the ridiculous costs of parking in the town centre.....excuse me but I'm driving into town to spend money but I'm supposed to pay for that privilege too!

The Council's parking charges are the lowest I know of in any major city. Where else could you park all day within the inner ring road for £2?

Our neighbours Leeds and Manchester charge a great deal more for parking than Sheffield and their city centres are regarded as being thriving, so how can the vitality of the city centre have any linkage to parking charges?

Everyone keeps telling you that it does, so why keep disputing it?

But then a good plan twenty years ago that cost the rate payers millions soon becomes ,not fit for purpose when the latest kids on the block appear from the Architectural Dept up the road.

Kids with new toys at our expense.

The problem is that if the development is allowable under national planning policy (which is reflected in local policy) and the Council turn it down, the developer will appeal and probably win, just like Next did.

National policy changes over time. In past times out of town shopping centres were allowed under policy. Now they are generally not.

Planning policy is complex and costly, but it needs to be kept up to date, or developers will pick holes in it and win appeals. The Council have a team of people who produce policy documents and they have to be constantly updated to reflect changes in national policy guidance from the government and the needs of the development industry.

The Council's parking charges are the lowest I know of in any major city. Where else could you park all day within the inner ring road for £2?

Our neighbours Leeds and Manchester charge a great deal more for parking than Sheffield and their city centres are regarded as being thriving, so how can the vitality of the city centre have any linkage to parking charges?

Could you tell me where theses parking places are please ?

Are you talking about parking prices?

Not everyone says that parking prices affect city centre vitality. I've seen quite a few on this forum who say there is no linkage. There is no actual proof one way or the other. I have seen no research on the subject.

The Council can only control it's own parking prices. The vast majority of parking in Sheffield is private sector controlled and they charge what they like.

Every city and town charges for parking. Sheffield's prices are low for a major city.

Again, how come Leeds and Manchester charge significantly more, but their city centres are regarded as successful?

Attributed to Joesph Goebbels "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it."

Could you tell me where theses parking places are please ?

There's a map of the car parks here: https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/roads/travel/driving/parking/city-centre/car-parks.html

Willey Street

Wicker Lane

Stanley Street

Ebenezer St

Trinity St

All £2 per day

There are others nearby that are £3 per day.