The Decline Of Sheffield City Centre

Foxylady, modern students bring a stack of cash with them these days, and whilst their pound-shop spend might be the same as most peoples, they are also spending loads in other shops, leisure facilities, supermarkets etc.

Foreign students maybe, modern UK students, no so much.

You can use one of the many car parks that charges on exit.

Or you can pay for on street parking by phone, allowing you to add an extra hour if you need to from the other side of the city. (Takes a small amount of forethought though).

Guessing the duration of your stay is annoying, I agree, but not insurmountable.

Yeah, but the pay-on-exit car parks come with their own set of problems.

If you overstay by a few minutes, you might find your parking charge has exceeded the 1-2 hour charge, and you're now paying the 2-4 hour charge. And no Sheffielder wants to pay more than they have to.

And from what I understand, these private car parks can be significantly more expensive than city council car parks. I've seen some hilarious rants in the local press from out-of-towners complaining they've been stung by excessive parking charges at the NCP by the Crucible theater. They've visited the city centre for a play and have been hit with a double-figure parking fee for just a few hours evening parking, and they promise never, ever to visit Sheffield again!

I expect most people won't spend time planning their city centre shopping visit with military precision and use the most optimal car park. They'll use the most convenient, or the cheapest (and it's always one or the other)

Parked in city centre once at an NCP car park. It cost me £11 and this was on a Sunday. That's the cost of my lunch at Meadowhall!

I love the centre because it has John Lewis and some good eating places (and I now use the car park near the Hilton, so £3 all day). However, I mostly go to Meadowhall, partly because I can pop in mid-week of an evening and partly to avoid the chuggers etc.

Parked in city centre once at an NCP car park. It cost me £11 and this was on a Sunday. That's the cost of my lunch at Meadowhall!

I love the centre because it has John Lewis and some good eating places (and I now use the car park near the Hilton, so £3 all day). However, I mostly go to Meadowhall, partly because I can pop in mid-week of an evening and partly to avoid the chuggers etc.

Why use a multi storey on a Sunday? Costs a pound to park on road bays all day on Sunday and Council car parks.

I've also noticed that some private car parking sites in Sheffield Centre seem to have ticket machines that are faulty, which generally means calling a premium rate number and this can be hard work.

I suppose this is why some of us choose to go the an NCP and pay a hefty price to park.

One issue with the Meadowhall area is that it is not the most desirable residential location. Even with the big shopping centre that in many respects beats nearby town centres hands down it's not exactly had a whole lot of "gentrification". It's still a place you communute to and not so much from.

Well if it's going to take a couple of decades to get HS2 into there there's rather a lot of time to do that job. Orgreave wasn't exactly a prime location in Uncle Arthur's day.

Foreign students maybe, modern UK students, no so much.

I shouldn't have given the impression that I meant *every* modern UK student had cash to burn - many still get through Uni on pittance - but I still maintain that many, many modern students, even those from the UK, put a lot of money in to the local economy.

---------- Post added 13-06-2016 at 17:47 ----------

Well if it's going to take a couple of decades to get HS2 into there there's rather a lot of time to do that job. Orgreave wasn't exactly a prime location in Uncle Arthur's day.

No sensible pro-Victoria person should be attempting to argue that a M'hall station isn't a massive opportunity for redevelopment and the further emergence of a '2nd' city centre, but the argument is rather that Victoria is an even bigger opportunity.